[FE8] Fire Emblem: Souls of the Forest

I’m against mechanics that render entire characters useless permanently. Like, having a unit sit at 1HP for the rest of the game is a bit… huh. It sure works as a high risk-high reward weapon, but it can also be misused by naive players and that would compromise their whole save file forever. It’s too big of a punishment than just, say, having to reset your chapter and get back the character you just lost.

I don’t like the luck-based backfire either, because the player can just reset the chapter or load a savefile to get a different result. It’s not skill based, and you don’t even need any planning/problem solving skills because you can just get a different result doing exactly the same moves. In the end you only get an OP weapon which is very easily exploited.

tl;dr I dislike the concept as a whole, but I can understand where you guys are coming from and I accept that. We can have different opinions while still respecting each other after all. :slight_smile:

P.S. Imo the best solution to the Devil Axe dilemma is to not have Devil weapons at all.
Or let them do something else instead. Like, being effective against staff users, while giving the character a stat penalty if they’re equipped.

4 Likes

Devil axes are an option, you can get through the game without them easily, if you don’t like it you can just not use it, and the ones who want to use it can.

More choice is good, the hack wins nothing by eliminating the devil axes, what good does taking it away do?

1 Like

As I said, you get an OP weapon which is very easily exploitable. It makes the game easier. By removing Devil weapons, you force players to use their brains instead of relying on op and luck-based weapons whose only negative side-effect can be worked around with some save file manipulation.

But again, it’s just a very calm exchange of opinions, Scraiza. I don’t want you to change that Devil Axe and my take on Devil weapons might be imprecise or wrong. It also depends on the rest of the hack (i.e. the context in which said weapon is collocated). I just like discussing ideas and concepts.

4 Likes

Well, if people are going to cheat to work around the penalties then they could just as easily rig levels and the like, I didn’t craft the game with cheating in mind, no developer does.

I just like the silly weapon, and who knows, if someone uses the devil axe to beat the game on 0% growths or something like that, isn’t it better to have a choice between oneshotting with devil for more reliability over rigging killer crits, for example? If you’re risking death by not using the devil, what’s the best choice?

in fact, killers are just as easily exploitable as devils with save manipulation, and so are hitrates, and most aspects of the game really.

I get what you mean, but I won’t hurt the normal player’s choices to avoid exploiting, relying on a weapon that can kill you is usually a bad strategy and I can’t help a player that makes bad choices, but players should be allowed to choose in the first place.

I̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶e̶’̶r̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶p̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶ ̶l̶o̶l̶.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say that this is still in my to-play list but I’m not finding the time as of late between work and irl stuff. I know for sure that somebody else played the hack 'til the near-end so perhaps they could give you some feedback.
I’ll be back to this thread when I finally find the time to play the rest :wink:
(just wanted to leave this here since I said I’d give some feedback on the other chapters as well)

1 Like

Hello, although I know this is a rude request, I want to know if I can use the background in your document.

No rush, play whenever you can, it’ll be a while until the next release is up anyway as I intend to get the writing in for release 8.

1 Like

Once the project is finished, sure, but until then I wish to keep it as mine, as I don’t feel it fair to rip pieces off an unfinished project.

ok.thankyou.

The file isnt working for me and wont let me install it from dropbox

At what point are you having problems?
At download?
At extraction?
When patching? (you will need NUPS for that https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/606/)
If you are confused, this is not a ROM, there are none of those on this site, the file is a patch that you can apply to your own ROM using NUPS (after extracting the .ups file from the .zip file).

1 Like

^ This

I can download it myself with no issues, just tried it, patched it and it worked

No ROMsharing 'round these parts, it’s all patches that you need to download to then apply to a vanilla rom, you’ll need a vanilla FE8 U ROM to have no issues with my patch, not PAL nor JP

Took me longer than I expected, but UPDATE TIME!
So as for what changed:

*DSFE style generic replacements if you kill too many units.
*There’s now 16 chapters and 3 gaidens, writing done up to Ch8, including 1 gaiden.
*All playable characters get a new portrait.
*3 difficulties.
*Reverse gameplay choice.
*Rebalancing.
*Modular minimug box.
*More custom music tracks.

The first post was updated, with a download link to the new patch and new screenshots.

9 Likes

Updated to release 8.0.1, after some players reported some jank that went under the radar, I whipped out a fix right away, the download link was updated.

3 Likes

Just my opinion, but the lack of ranged swords kinda unfair, we have javelins, hand axe, spears blah blah but only 1 ranged sword is the runesword.Since promotion didn’t have any other weapons swords classes is kinda 1 range locked.

My suggestion is : make magebane D rank, lower hit, 4 mt since javelins and handaxe have 5 and 6 mt and finally 1-2 range (use light brand animations).

1 Like

why did i only just find this now?? I love it

2 Likes

Update 8.1 is live! Featuring a slick gamemodes menu (Thanks @Snakey1), unit rebalancing, lockpicks that you can actually sell, and a bunch of other minor changes.

5 Likes

I have one question you go made portraits for the boss?

3 Likes

When are we getting the Spanish translation.

3 Likes

Hello guys, posting here to say that there won’t be an update for a long while since I’ve moved and don’t have access to a computer to hack.

I’m still very much working on the project though, with writing stuff down and whatnot.

(In fact, not having a computer is the only way to not get myself distracted and actually try to start a coherent plot oof, so this is a good thing)

As a little sidenote, 0% growths Lunatic Reverse is very beatable, I did it myself not long ago (using 100% hitrates mode as well)

7 Likes