[FE8] Fire Emblem: Legends of Avenir

another issue i found was in chapter 4, military, captain defeated route. (Warzone)
sometime after turn 15, it started taking a really long time to change phases. if i didn’t have speed up i’d think it was softlocked.
i have no idea what caused it.

might be when the npc spellsword’s light brand broke?
idk.

I believe that issue has also been fixed in the upcoming version - I was able to get it to happen sporadically at best before, so I’m not 100% sure it’s fixed :roll_eyes:

Alright, played Legends of Avenir - and would like to believe that I’ve played every route thus far (although not gotten every ending) and while I enjoyed the game (Warzone route is somehow one of the greatest routes imo, as despite being just 7 chapters as the others it feels incredibly good, as it feels fullfilling and resolving most characthers’ core conflicts), I kinda love more pointing out stuff that will probably have been informed of already due to my complete unability of reading the top posts.

Bugs:

Mean Bandit (Bandit → Kill Mayor):
Taking more than 15 turns on ch7 and triggering the alternate ending will freeze the game.

True Bandit (Bandit → Save Mayor):
Breakable walls on Ch6 take forever to break (assumedly between 2-3 minutes)

Retreat Route (Promo ->Ch3)

Retreating on turn 2 (only possible as Cavalier/Wyvern) before reinforcements come softlocks the game.

Retreat Route (Promo → Save Rex)

Green unit on chapter 5 happens to gain experience and is able to level up, despite being a green unit.

Failing Soldier (No promo → No boss kill):
The savefile will be rendered unusable as Tact will be flagged dead on next route, turning the game uncontinuable under the same savefile.

Typing the name Lesk makes the Guardian look at you in disbelief before closing the game. Kinda rude - I know the name sucks, but be

I’m too assume your description changes on this route, but wrong number of text was placed or smth

Characther Class selection screen may glitch out (Read it also happened on E3).

Mainly happened as a Soldier, where even trying to enter the class selector once can just crash the game. Never had such issue with Merc routes.

Marksman don’t get swords despite their class saying they should.

Main grips and things that I would like (petty, can be skipped)

On the Retreat route (Promotion → Fall Back), killimg the boss without having the mc attack defaults to the route where Rex lives - which feels wierd, since he dies if you decide not to go for his aid, so I’m not sure why its different. While it wouldn’t default into Evilroute, it kind of feels like a potential new route - possibly where you accept the posterior assignment and go into the frontlines, maybe to even further raise in ranks.

Nihil on the Guardian Spirit my beloved.

At some points, I feel that if the Prologue was somewhat more of a hub, where it allowed you to check already obtained endings, access to checkpoints, and such, the multiple ending scheme and its replayability could see even further improvements (or maybe not).

Could there be a possibility to be boring and play neutral? That is, having the choice to pick no banes and boons? Or go crazy and pick multiple banes and boons, even - or split them, picking a different bane for growth and one for base, etc. etc.

And additionally, any chances for pallete editor in-game or will all tacts in the future have one portrait and one single pallete?

And I guess that’s much it. I actually liked this game and its quick progression, and it feels like something entirely new compared to everlong gamed spanning on 40 chapters or more (while this technically having even more).

3 Likes

Seems like you enjoyed the rom hack itself. You made a lot of bug finding easier to find so that the creator would fix the bugs in the next major update.

For the achievements and the possible endings that you uncovered after completing them would be great for people to make sure you already got the same ending and show the achievements that you accomplished.

Seems like encountering the Guardian Spirit at the ending can be very mysterious about it. It’s like he’s the God of Fate or something and prevents the lost soul from moving on and not let the world of Avenir become that kind of situation.

Hope that we get an actual battle with the Guardian Spirit and give him a challenge of a lifetime.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Detailed bugs and feedback like this are really helpful.

This is actually intended and required some wizardry on my part to accomplish. Because of the short nature of each route, in playtesting it ended up being difficult to balance recruiting him earlier rather than later, so the simplest solution was to just let him get EXP as a green unit.

I tend to just blame noguchi for writing

This is actually something I was planning on implementing as a submenu coming off of the main menu, but finishing routes is much higher priority.

This - is an excellent idea. Maybe something unlockable after a playthrough of a route or two?

Right now the buildfile can be built by a user with their own mug/palette inserted, but cleaning the process up and maybe making a tool for that purpose is another far goal.

3 Likes

Heya, just played this hack. I’m enjoying it a lot generally, but here’s some feedback.

(1) Imbalance in a team in the Mercenary Route. Granted, i haven’t play all the maps so i might be wrong, but there is little to no magic caster in the mercenary route. I think it’s better to add one mage and of course, a healer. I’m thinking specifically of the bandit route – it’s just all physical attackers. The mage would be good in killing the knights. I personally think there’s too many axe-users also in this route. A rider would also be nice (Peg Knight)

(2) Too many cavaliers in the Knight route, alright, so there is three cavs and two Wyvern riders. I know people like riders so much, but it’s kind of overkill. Again, maybe add some mages and it would be better.

(3) The Gotohs in last of tales are good. It’s a decent gimmick, if i may say.

(4) The new classes are good.

Keep it up man, hope you make a better one next!

3 Likes

I don’t speak for the developers but I think the lack of mages in those routes is probably intentional seeing as the last path, the one in development right now, is all about mages so they don’t want us to get burned out on magic users (Also it makes sense plot-wise at least in the military route as mages come from archanea so of course not a lot of them are gonna want to fight for Cesaria)

I do agree that they should add a healer though, that’d be neat.

Part of our intention when creating the roster for each route was to make it so that you were sometimes deprived of certain resources you’d be used to having in a Fire Emblem game. Not every route has a healer, some routes don’t have one until very late. Buffing vulneraries is meant to help offset this, and Tact buffs in the next update will also assist in this regard.

Lack of mages in some routes also plays into this. Some routes will give you all these resources, but some routes will give you five mounted units (two of which are fliers) and roll with it. It helps each route feel distinct gameplay-wise, which was part of the intention when designing the game.

1 Like

Are you meant to play this over and over and over forever? Or, after all the routes and all their outcomes are done, there’s gonna be a final route with a definite conclusion and ending?

2 Likes

Many people have asked that same question, and we do plan on a short route that becomes unlocked after a certain requirement is met.

1 Like

Is there a recruitment guide, and how do we get all paths? Just story choices or are there alternate criteria that needs to be met? Love the hack so far, can’t wait until the mage route is complete.

3 Likes

Glad you like it! The recruitments are designed such that it’s impossible to miss a recruitable character (even if they die as a green/red unit in their recruitment chapter). There does exist a route branch image that someone made in our Discord server. It’s pinned in #avenir-general (spoilered).

2 Likes

Just finished the 4 route so far, are the mage routes not implemented yet or did I just not unlock it?

Says in the post :metal:t4:

Meant to reply, whoops :point_up:t4:

i played through 1 run so far (went down the knight path) and i keep seeing talk of multiple routes in this but i dont quite understand what exactly that entails aside from either starting as a knigt, a merc or eventually a mage… are the “routes” essentially the subsequent runs of the game where it all culminates in something or other happening after such and auch an amount of routes being completed or am i misunderstanding it?

The starting point for the character, and the first chapter, changes entirely depending on knight/merc/mage selection. It’s not just having a different class, you play through completely different chapters and scenarios. Of course, it’s all in the same world so there’s some crossover of the characters (and each of the three starting routes branches further).

1 Like

Be nice

1 Like

I’m sorry about the rudeness, long sword.

It’s just painfully obvious if you read the hack’s description or glance at the other comments here

Routes in Fire Emblem mean different storylines/levels

If you read the description you can see you that this game is designed to be played many times. Each route entails a new story, and each story contains decisions you make that change the outcome of your “ending”