From the idiot developer with the funny name who brought you War On Two Fronts comes the sequel that doesn’t have much to do with the original, but is hopefully much better. The current release goes up to Chapter 11.
Taking place two years after the events of the original, Heavens Fall chronicles the tribulations of the wartorn city-state of Venami, caught in a vicious tug-of-war between two superpowers vying for control over it and access to the secrets buried at the depths of its catacombs. You follow Rodion, leader of the largest rebel group in Venami, working to break the hold that its illegitimate government has on the city, and secure its freedom forever.
There’s a few returning faces and references to what’s been happening on the other side since the events of WoTF, but this is mainly a self-contained story. People who have played the original may get more out of certain scenes, but the plot is meant to be enjoyed in isolation.
- 28 planned chapters, most with their own chapter-specific gimmicks that actually encourage you to complete them quickly, meaning no fog or moronic weather effects
- 35 playable characters with their own support conversations (Sidenote: All the support conversations have already been written, so you’ll be able to view any supports with new characters as new chapters are added)
- FE9-style deployment based supports with rebalanced gains
- A large and varied OST with unique battle tracks for different factions within the same chapter, pulled from a variety of sources
- Conservative use of skills; don’t expect to see them on most units, never on generic enemies and almost never on bosses
- A story that jumps off from the themes of the original, but doesn’t require you to have actually played it to be fully experienced
I bundled in the credits with the UPS, because why not. Patch over a clean US FE8 rom.
Dropbox - Heavens Fall - Simplify your life
I thought it might be cool to have a hack discord. You’d probably get a much faster response contacting me about something game-breaking on there than on here.
Heavens Fall Discord
There’s a guide available from the menu in every chapter. I recommend reading it, if you don’t want to be bamboozled by some chapter elements.
Also, a fun side note. Chapter 2 will crash if you complete it while the bridge closest to the escape point is inactive. This is very difficult to do and will probably lead to disaster anyway, but I’m just warning you. If you want to gimp yourself to hear the worst sound ever and crash the game, feel free.
Some cutscenes aren’t big fans of being skipped. Hitting B should fare much better than hitting START, at least.
Note From The Dev
First, the non-shilling bit. To those of you who played through WoTF, I thank you. There’s been over 1k downloads since the 1.0 release, and all the kind words said about it despite its occasional dubious quality have made this new project possible.
Now the shilling bit. If you’re one of those people who played WoTF, you’ll probably know that I suck the big one when it comes to art assets. If any of you have anything lying around, or play this and see some potential in it, please get in touch, because I’m eager to get some good-looking custom art in here. I’ll honestly take anything. I’ll take splices scraped up off your bathroom floor, as long as it’s different. A lot of the art in here is meant to be placeholder stuff, and I need your help to get it looking better.
The part I said in WoTF’s OP about frequent updates turned out to be a massive lie, but I mean it this time. I have a lot already prepared, so updates should be pretty frequent. I don’t see any future changes much impacting pre-existing content, so you can hang onto your save file and gradually work your way through as I release more of it.