[FE8] Fire Emblem: Drums of War <v. 2 - COMPLETE! 22 chapter campaign!>

Patchday! Today I learned checked global flags mid-chapter don’t refresh when the chapter restarts. This was almost definitely the source of the E-1 / E-2 weirdness.

v. 1.02 fixes:

• that
  • new map for E-2, slid into my DMs by RandomWizard in record time
  • new mug for Lucetta replacing placeholder
  • Slight but key nerfs to Rowland
  • Corrected Metaxa’s affinity
  • Corrected formatting oversights in a couple of supports

Apologies for the inconvenience!

8 Likes

Given the dialogue and that it was a brief scene, I feel like I unlocked some sort of optional, cool item ; great feeling there \o/

Also, I get a copy of it if I restart the chapter somehow.

3 Likes

patchday again, fuck me, lmao

So I’m still not sure exactly why part of the E-1 // E-2 interaction wasn’t working for some people, I suspect it’s something to do with the way counter logic is calculated in different emulators. However, I’m pretty positive I have now, finally, fixed it for good. Sorry for the inconvenience!

If you’re tired of downloading new patches, you probably don’t need to if you’re running MGBA. And if you’re towards the start of the game, well, there’ll probably be a new patch by the time you get to endgame anyway.

fuck counters all my homies hate using counters

6 Likes

Ok, so which one would I need for a fresh download? There’s 3 and if the current update is 1.02 why is there a 1.03?

I’ll amend the OP. v. 1.03 is current; relative to 1.02, it fixes one bug with the lategame and that’s it. If you’ve been playing from the start, you haven’t missed anything.

Ok, I just noticed this one so I haven’t even started which is where the confusion came from.

Hi there.
I have played the Prologue, just one fuuny advice.
The village on the middle-bottom of the map is intended to be destroyed by the pirate spawns at enemy’s turn 4. But I think there some way you can save the village using the archers with that pirate. Because the thief can cross the river. He can attract the archers there to stand at the gate of the village to prevent it been destroyed by the pirate.
I think you can add some something to get in the village there, as a challenge for players.

1 Like

New patch up. This one is pretty critical for anyone who isn’t past Act 2, as a bug would basically kill off some units after a certain chapter. It’s now been fixed.

Also:

• Fixed a lot of characters not being coded to blink
  • Fixed C3 myrmidon having the legendary 60-use A2 Vulnerar
  • Fixed Gerhard and Vivica mistakenly having a paired ending
  • Fixed Domovoi having Knoll’s death quote
  • Forgot to update Domovoi’s portrait courtesy of RandomWizard, but it’s coming in the next patch
  • Remembered to update E-1 map courtesy of RandomWizard
  • Reduced Wildbrand’s strength and resistance by 3
  • Possibly? fixed a freezing issue on certain emulators

We’re getting closer to the definitive version, bit by bit. But it’s still going to be a journey. Thanks to Legend of Loog for bringing the critical error to my attention and finding the cause.

12 Likes

Just finished Chapter 5 and I gotta say this hack is brilliant so far. Great gameplay and characters, but im playing on 1.03. Will I have to restart in order to apply the new patch?

2 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it! You can keep your old save, it should transfer over without any issues.

2 Likes

Sweet thank you. I’m not the most savvy with patching and stuff of that sort, and I was wondering if I’m supposed to patch the 1.04 file to the already patched game or a clean rom.

Apply the 1.04 patch to a clean FE8 ROM. Then rename the ROM to whatever your old ROM was called, and make sure it’s in the same folder as your old save, and it should automatically bring up your old save data.

Basically, when a ROM is booted up in an emulator, it will look in its own folder to see if there’s a .sav with the same name, and if there isn’t one, make one as a fresh file.

Alternatively, make a savestate in the 1.03 ROM and then load it in the 1.04 ROM. Pretty positive that should work on most emulators.

If playing on PC, what is the recommended emulator for this?

With all else equal, MGBA.

1 Like

I didn’t play much but I do have a few things I’d like to say, since a lot of things stuck out to me that if feel like need to be changed.

The story feels rather fast & the transition between the Prologue and Chapter 1 feels rushed, I feel like there could atleast be one more chapter between the two, especially one between ch2 & ch3 & ch4. The story time feels like things amp up too fast and I feel the enemies for what its worth also scale fast to where if there was say, 2 extra chapters between the prologue and what is chapter 3, the level would feel easier.

The thief unit you get in the prologue is sorta kinda… Useless for a while. He works as a thief and a sorta-combat unit if you get lucky, but he feels so useless & in my playthrough he died in chapter 3 at the start and I kinda just let him be dead because there wasn’t any use for him… Until chapter 4 rolled around and suddenly if he were alive, he’d FINALLY have a use. I feel like there could be some stealable items/statboosters early on to make it so that there’s a reason to field him or hell, use him for that matter up until chapter 4.
On another topic of units, the main lord, and her(or he? they came off as either to me) usefulness felt kinda underwhelming. I feel like if the enemies were weaker they’d be more useful earlier or hell even as a half-oifey sorta lord.

Speaking of enemies…
The chapters don’t feel difficult in the sense of “wow this requires a lot of strategy” and feel more difficult in terms of “Wow this map is frontloaded with enemies” type difficult. The amount of early game sword enemies and the 4 lance users you have in chapter 1 make the main lord also very useless in terms of what they can do. Replacing the Merc’s in ch1 with some pirates would be better, or hell some fighters too. It’d give the lord some enemies to actually fight that they could put up a fight against.
Also, Javelins and Handaxes are useless. Their weight makes using them to have a chance on enemy phase (Especially with the amount of early game bow enemies) makes useless, and also makes the target more succeptable to dying especially against the amount of archers in the early game… Jesus thats a lot of archers.

I think overall a few balance changes and an extra chapter or two & this hack could definitely be very good! A bit of balance changing is all that is needed.

Sorry to hear that you have had a mixed experience. I do not mean to come across as confrontational, but your phrasing comes across as inviting engagement, so I’ll address your points as you’ve made them:

• I don’t plan to add further chapters to Act 1, nor do I think there’s a pressing need for them either narratively or in gameplay flow. Narratively, it’s a pretty clear line between ‘we’re collecting the people to go to Aulestra’, ‘we’re in the dock that will take us to Aulestra’, ‘we’re on the ship taking us to Aulestra’ and ‘Aulestra’; there could be further complications contrived after the Prologue, but I certainly don’t feel they would necessarily benefit the story.

• As for gameplay pacing, again, I’m not sure how you arrived at the conclusion there was a massive spike in enemy strength between the Prologue and Chapter 1. The enemies are similarly levelled in the 4-5 range, Insurgents have only minor stat boosts over Deserters, and crucially, you have a Jagen and a cleric, to say nothing of the levels received during Prologue.

• Roxelana has generally been considered a strong unit by other playtesters, though of course there’s the possibility you were just unfortunate with growths. Still, if enemies were weaker, in the FE7/8 vein, then being a sword-locked unit with an effective melee Prf would surely be less useful, not more. I certainly feel as though claiming she can’t ‘put up a fight’ against Mercenaries she is strictly superior to in every single stat at base is hyperbolic.

• Regarding Pavel, there already are multiple non-vulnerary objects for him to steal in the early chapters. Most have regarded him to be a serviceable combatant, easy to train if inclined, and I’m sure you’ll agree that a character who already provides unique utility should not also be a high-class combatant.

• Roxelana’s a woman, and is only ever addressed as such by those around her. I’m slightly confused as to how this was a source of uncertainty.

• Javelins and handaxes are not designed for enemy-phase mass slaughter in the vein of FE7-9. Their ineffectiveness on EP is very much by design.

2 Likes

Well, I can kinda see where they’re coming from.

My only personal gripe with the prologue is having 6 enemies right off the bat. It makes the first turn positioning so unbelievably strict. Like I ended up feel like it tool me two turns longer then it should have due to the other village events playing while I was nowhere near them.

As far as the thief goes, maybe giving him one or two base strength will help since his growths are so loaded on speed and luck so a very slight strength boost will help in those earlier maps.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

As a personal request, I’d appreciate putting the gifs under a spoiler. I need to be able to scroll the thread freely, and being epileptic, that presents a significant barrier to doing so.

I would seriously disagree with the claim that ‘very little has been done’ to change the aesthetics of the hack since v. 0.6, given that almost every single map has received a major facelift since then and a number of new portraits have been made and old ones overhauled. Obviously the changes are not to your taste, either, but the implication of inaction just doesn’t sit right with me. This, combined with complaints such as that ‘ships do not work like that’ for a map that is, as you acknowledge, a dreamscape, does make me question whether this post is entirely in good faith.

I am sorry to hear that the maps and palettes are so distasteful to you. However, at this stage of the project, extensive map overhauls simply are not going to happen, and I personally feel that RW has done excellent work throughout in giving my initial designs immense facelifts. I’m content with where the palettes are at presently, and these have been the first serious complaints regarding them since release; of course they could be improved, and perhaps will be in the future. I have freely admitted from the start that they’re made off the scroll wheel and vibes. But changing them isn’t a high priority for me.

It sounds like the hack is not a good match for your tastes. Sometimes, that’s how it goes.

12 Likes

yeah no please get rid of or hide those gifs, that is not cool man.

now to be a bit more serious here. What in Gods name are you blathering about? I have never seen someone so comprehensively complain about colors and tiles before, much less ever.

also some minor fact checking,

Star Forts are a thing. here’s a Map of Palamova in 1593.

also pretty sure most of the roads are ment to be dirt and stone, which would actually explain the grass breaking down the closer to port you reach, due to the likely exporting of fish and whatnaught.

the only other thing I want to counter argue past this point is end-1, not so much dream-like but more death-like since it’s implied the wounds protag took should have killed them, but due to their own willpower and immediate medical aid, they did not. so while in a near-dead state having their memories flooding in a mixture of old and new randomly explains the odd map layout.

honestly I’ve only ever played a single hack that had mugs so bad that I physically couldn’t bring myself to play it, due to the colors actually making my eyes hurt. however most of your critique just comes off as mean-spirited for bashing map layouts and color matching that do not look the same to everybody .

it’s called color theory and not color fact due to this discrepancy.

9 Likes