[FE8] Fire Emblem: Drums of War <v. 2 - COMPLETE! 22 chapter campaign!>

Really excited to see more! Yeah, unlimited B-rank supports have been around since pretty early on, though I think the only explicit confirmation of them existing was the Petras/Renate recruitment popup. Will be interested to see how the run continues!

1 Like

I was thinkingā€¦ Is there any way to see the stats growth rate of every character? I would like to try some characters I have never used before, but Iā€™d also like to evaluate them first.

Not enabling growth display was a deliberate decision, and I have no interest in going back on that. Suffice to say that no unit is deceptively weak long-term.

1 Like

Okay, this one is important: HOW DO I GET THE DOG??? Or wolf, or whatever it is. Iā€™m on chapter 9, but I saw someone here saying he already had him by chapter 9. When did I miss him?

Spoiler

End turn on the the broken house near the starting group. Donā€™t remember the chapter number but its the one where Connacht joins.

Parrhesia if you prefer keeping figuring out recruitment up to player I can delete this post.

2 Likes

Well I missed it. How is anybody supposed to know that??? Thereā€™s no indication.

The house at the top left suggests thereā€™s a lonely pup lurking with the eastern woods and that maybe the party should go help it out. Iā€™d say thatā€™s sufficient signposting for a nonessential secret.

5 Likes

Huh, im ngl I donā€™t remember its I even visited it and my smooth brain didnā€™t even register it could be something. Good to know for next play through though! Thanks! I"m just so used to a recruitment guide.

Chapter 1 is here !

https://youtu.be/fNJHaH6VB_I?si=kqMPUGoOEWsIGX__

The ā€˜firstā€™ chapter is akin to unclogging the worldā€™s deadliest toilet, every layer of blockage attempting to stab you with spears and swords in lieu of bad odor and mild psychological trauma on your way to the vast septic tank we call ocean. ā€¦ On second thought, given the crowd weā€™re fighting, replace ā€˜in lieuā€™ by ā€˜on topā€™.
Yeah, DoW writingā€™s rubbing on me, I get poetic too now.

The first cracks are showing. You wouldnā€™t think that one to three levels would make a difference, but a point of skill and luck would help with the hitrates and I swear thereā€™s been an instance or two where a point of speed would have put me above doubling tresholdā€¦
0% also recontextualizes some old habits: any combat is good combat in vanilla FE, but without stat gains every round becomes a detriment, draining you of weapon usage and gold. It hasnā€™t been relevant yet but Iā€™m definitely keeping in mind that any portion of a map that can be ignored should be under this new paradigm.
Similarly, while I usually sparsely use Prf in cases of emergency later on, Iā€™ve realized as the cavaliers arrived that Roxelana will sooner or later fall to stat inflation and every use of the Hanger Iā€™m not spending now loses value as the game goes on and she becomes less reliable. So I splurged a little to make my life easier.

And Naga knows I needed it, because you can pinpoint the precise moment where my greed pushes Pavel too far for that Onyx Gem and I scramble to stop anyone from getting killed.

Todayā€™s POW is Helje. She has two things the previous victim lacked: 18 speed and a pegasus. A low atk score is ā€œeasyā€ (heavy apostrophes here) to fix with weapon ranks and support, whereas what speed a unit has is pretty much set in stone. Despite her 10 strength (still a lofty score by my current standards), Helje might see usage deep into the endgame after promotion.

Iā€™m very excited to welcome Helje in the team ; combat wise she can pull her weight for a looong time. Honestly, she might even have minor contributions in the endgame.

3 Likes

My god, thank you. How would anyone figure this one out? Specially when you need to hurry and help the others.

cause a house near the start tells you explicitly its over there, plus a single unit isnā€™t stopping there (while still going forward to the other side) generally wonā€™t make or break your ability to go through the chapter

1 Like

Yes, but itā€™s not strange to skip the houses that donā€™t give you items precisely because they wonā€™t give you items. In other words, you have other priorities. Now that I know, I will never skip that place again.

Fire Emblem has always (in my opinion) kept secrets that you obtain by playing ā€œsub optimallyā€. So this method seems pretty on brand and fair to me.

So it does for me, I was just getting impatient because I wanted that dog and didnā€™t find it. Aaaand you just gave me PTSD from recruiting Xavier in Thracia :rofl:

1 Like

Some of the entries sting in hindsightā€¦

Today, we're on a boat !

https://youtu.be/ficpEAj4UV8?si=_nqLBh2_dnVVVQE1

Chapter 2 is very exciting because four new folks joined us last time and we finally get to do some teambuilding. Sometimes itā€™s straightforward, like Kirsten being a straight upgrade over Radu, others itā€™s a little more nuanced, like Hesterine being a better mage killer than Goran and marginally worse in every other area.
This map relies on controlling chokepoints and baiting enemies with little space to maneuver, so I bench the horses for now and dust off the armors.

Helje immediately establishes her power level by dispatching the squads of pegasi solo, we should worship the ground Sander walks on for being able to slay anything that doesnā€™t wear an armor with 100% hitrate, and even though Iā€™m not recording myself you can HEAR the disappointment when I realize 0% Pavel doesnā€™t have the speed to steal the elixir from that myrmidon. That was 1500G right thereā€¦

Now, you might wonder whatā€™s going on with me alternating between unnecessarily healing with Kadri andā€¦ not doing that.
See, our first master seal is coming up two chapters from now and I still canā€™t decide who I will promote. Kadri actually has good enough stats to be decent midgame and Naga knows I will need all the staves I can get on deck - giving her extra magic and a tome to defend herself with would be a worthwhile investment. There are also two very annoying monster chapters coming up and earlier versions oh Bishop had Slayer - a feature subsequently removed, but so much has changed about the game it might be back in.
If thatā€™s what Iā€™m going with then I need her to level 10 ASAP. However the competitionā€™s fierce (Helje would get a sword rank on top of the stats bonusesā€¦) and my mind isnā€™t made yetā€¦

Oh yeah, Etienne ! A tough nut to crack, but while he looks impressive from the footage of our fight, donā€™t let that fool you: heā€™s an idol with feet of clay.
First, heā€™s armored in a hack thatā€™s not coy about outfitting enemies with slayer weapon. Unlike in vanilla GBA FE, that actually matters.
Second, his stats baseline looks impressive at first but crumbles when you realize heā€™s promoted. Even in 0% the starting armored duo almost compete with promotion gains, and it wonā€™t be long until we get level 10+ units who will trounce him with a master seal slapped on top.
This man is NOT competitive for endgame and that speed hurts.

ā€¦ So why am I recruiting him nonetheless, you ask ?
Because chapter 4 and 5 are coming, you fool, and I will need the immediate boost even if it falls off immediately after.

I have big plans for Etienne. You will seeā€¦
cackles ominously

3 Likes

I think after all this work and high-stakes action, weā€™ve deserved an interlude. Donā€™t you agree ?
Chapter 3 is the calm before the storm, letā€™s enjoy it while it lasts. The worst has yet to come.

And here it is !

https://youtu.be/uINuSi7E7VY?si=NJMIMqT3BE0n9IKi

Chapter 3 isā€¦ oddly relaxing. Enemies are neatly positioned in small, disconnected packets that can be taken out safely and there are no reinforcements to worry about.
At least not until you kick the nest.
All you have to do is crack this town of disposable bodies wide open and take a shot at the big fishes hiding past it before Escaping.

Hey, remember what I wrote all the way back for the description of chapter 1 ?

the screen blurs and ripples, turning a sepia hue while inner voice now echoes
ā€œIt hasnā€™t been relevant yet but Iā€™m definitely keeping in mind that any portion of a map that can be ignored should be under this new paradigm.ā€

Yeah, thatā€™s paying off now. The ballistas are in place to stop an Helje from dive bombing the paladins and ending the chapter instantly, but they can be used to our advantage to safely lure them out without dealing with the rear guard pincering you. All you need to pull it off is an able-bodied archer, your dancer and two mounted units.
Speaking of Helje, look at her cleaning one half of the city on her own while the rest struggle ! I love herā€¦

The boss of this map doesnā€™t deserve a comment - she just takes eldritch bolts to the face and dies. If it wasnā€™t for the sabre she hides, Iā€™d ignore her entirely.
The real treat is a unit added after the version Iā€™m familiar with: she isnā€™t BAD, per see, but Iā€™m about to get two light magic users for Chapter 5, and in all honesty these Part 1 units donā€™t hold up long-term - I will make better use of the money.

Chapter 4 is going to be the main eventā€¦

1 Like

Oh, itā€™s bad.
Itā€™s so bad.
ā€œSell off the grandma, Ochulo is worthless in 0% anyway, whatā€™s the worst that can happen ?ā€
Iā€™m an idiot.

4 Likes

this is the world itself cursing you for selling off jaro

4 Likes

We stand at the crossroad of mediocrity.

The enemy has superior numbers, equipment, and now even stats.

Weā€™re at the cusp of a three-pronged attack, and the map design has been tightened since the last time I got there.
Used to be, you could snipe the sole enemy holding the key and lock down an entire aisle. Not anymore: the enemy has developed redundancy.

So what do you do when the odds are stacked against you ?
As a French citizen, I will shed a new light on this chapter, backed by my history and culture:

You give up.
And GO ON STRIKE INSTEAD.

Whatā€™s that ? Auls at the door ?! Not MY problem chief !
Now letā€™s renegotiate the safety conditions and overpaid timesā€¦ You have until they arriveā€¦

So, you've seen the video, let's discuss the costs.

This elegant and extremely smart solution comes with a few drawbacks. Weā€™re kissing goodbye to:

• two new units.
  • two sacred seals.
  • a Luna, amazing longbow and a ridersbane.
  • the ransom for the Ɖcorcheur.

Things we save:

• so, SO many weapon usages that Iā€™m probably making more money that way, honestly.
  • my sanity.
  • these two units are awful anyway. The mage is strictly better than Felice but without a seal I canā€™t promote him to sage anyway and we get to recruit a mage next chapter.

ā€¦ Uh ? Whyā€¦ why do I still get the hostage ?
ā€¦ Well, Iā€™m not complaining. Thatā€™s free money ! Yes, weā€™re selling him off. Pavel IS due replacement, true, but we wonā€™t need him for the next map and weā€™ll be getting a free rogue with better stats than this hostage right after. So back to camp he goes !

Brainstorming ideas for an actual clear.

Disarm both armor knights, stuff them full of vulneraries and deploy them. Also deploy both cavalier. A pair of knight/cav on both aisles. Rescue the armor on turn 1 and drop them off in front of the doors on turn 2, locking the aisles. Chasimir on the east will destroy the dark mages.

Meanwhile, be sure to have Ɖtienne and Barros in the middle. Beat back the enemies to the entrance and lock that two tiles space with them. Khadri can keep Barros healed while Helje rescue drop her out of archer range.

With the middle secured, fall back and destroy the sappers as they come.

Beating the map that way will cost you thousands of gold in weapon and staff uses and you probably wonā€™t get the ridersbane and longbow, but hey, itā€™s more ā€˜legitimateā€™.
Iā€™m not sure itā€™s worth it. You wonā€™t need the master seals.

1 Like

Out of curiosity @Parrhesia , did you have an ā€˜intended strategyā€™ in mind for this chapter, or was it a case of ā€œI have no idea if thatā€™s even possible, letā€™s see if the runners figure something out ?ā€ ?

1 Like