[FE8][Removed by Author] Fire Emblem Deity Device: Saint's Blood

Oh, a new update? Exciting :sunglasses: definitely interested in seeing how the project has changed since its initial release.

No way! How significant were the changes you were implementing that this ended up being necessary?

2 Likes

Most of the stuff that caused the rebuild was addressed in the January balance patch. Music isn’t directly transferred from other games to help with size issues. The summon mechanic was broken in the initial release, so I had to cut Milton’s familiar, but it’s in the game now. And Gamma installed convoy partitions for me, so Milton’s convoy actually works now. Milton wasn’t part of the original concept, so initially, Leticia was “Eirika” and Martha was “Ephraim.” Now Martha is " Eirika" and Milton is “Ephraim.” I had tried to do that before, but I don’t think those FeBuilder patches that reassign main character status work that well.

Characters also have 30 continuous levels rather than resetting at promo and min promo level is 15. And there’s an exp bonus for fighting a promoted enemy, but no penalty for being promoted. This doesn’t have much effect yet as there are no promo items available.

5 Likes

Bug report

I think using the Fire Sword at 1 range with animations on crashed the game. It just hangs like in the picture. Happened twice now.

I tested it once with animations off and it doesn’t crash.

2 Likes

Thanks. I just uploaded a new patch with the Fire Sword fixed. I had accidently set the hit effect ID of the spell whose animation it uses rather than the animation ID. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Jo, finished the available chapters, so feedback time!

It will be mostly gameplay focused, since i have almost zero story complaints, but i will post some story thoughts at the end.

Generally i found most of the changes to be positive. Especially chapter 5 was much smoother with the implementation of the familiar system. Even if Dancer + Thief combo was a little mean, it was fun trying to figure it out!

New chapter thoughts:

Chapter 6

Imo, the weakest one in the game so far and the one needing a major rework. It’s just letting Letty one shot stuff. Although every Letty chapter is almost like that, there’s usually something to do with it. This was just send Letty, kill, and very straightforward too.

Chapter 7

This was fine, although i feel the ballistia in part 1 zone you out too much for how small the map is and how frail your units are. Also Pegasi i think need less HP (as Stella is already really strong i don’t think she needs a buff, but she can’t one shot the pegasi which is a bit weird for an Archer to be not able to do that in her join map. Well, with the steel longbow from the village she can, but by then i am done with pegasi)

For 7-2 i feel like the boss is too fast. Although not a problem since he is 1 range locked, it makes the hit rates on him a bit of a pain. Although i am gonna talk about the enemy balance later.

Chapter 8

I think Combination of Meteor + 2 Storm Mages + Sleep makes for a turtle fest at the boss room. Especially with how you have to burn your rescues very early on due to how the map works.

• maybe make Phin start beside Georgette already? As in she warped him in pre map. I think giving the player the extra rescue here can help in making the map smoother.

• The 2 Storm Mages… have 9AS. This is a bit too fast for 5 range mages, and can double quite a few of your army (considering how small it is) which is…concerning. Maybe hit em with a big Speed nerf?

• I think the unlock staff should be dropable considering you neex Phin on the other side of the map

• In general the map concept is fine, but i feel like it needs some smoothing here and there to reduce turtling.

General Balance thoughts
  • I like how stronger enemies are now, but i feel like some might be a bit too fast. The problem i have with this is how it makes hit rates a bit of pain. It ain’t FE6 levels of bad yet, but there were some frustration moments here and there due to low hit. Maybe buff weapon base hit or player units’ skill? Also i kinda found it funny how Martha had trouble doubling considering she’s basically a Myrmidon lord, but i feel like my Martha might be a bit speed screwed lol.

• if i have to name a unit MVP, it will be Stella. Cool skill in Mov+2 when near Canto, high hit rates, and very good offenses. Really like her! And she’s the main reason i am hesitating on calling for Bow buffs and instead suggested reducing pegasi HP in 7-1. I don’t think she needs any buffs, but she doesn’t need any nerfs, either!

• In Letty’s squad i think every unit around her needs some kinda buff or gimmick and to somehow synergize with Letty as her maps rely on her too much imo. Even if it fits the story well, gameplay wise it’s kinda…

• Btw, Light Brand is a PRF? For who? We getting a Leif descendant? Or does it need someone with Leticia Blood?

Story/Characters so far
  • I think out of the lords my fav. is Sid. Might be a spoiled brat at the beginning (when his sister slapped him), but his heart is in the right place.

• “I will create a Miracle” Theo, you need to play Deity Device to see why that is not a good idea.

• “Soul Eater” Hmmmmmm

• Religious authorities abusing religion, a classic.

• I wonder what traumatized Milton like that hmmm. He is a good boy tho!

Keep up the awesome work!

2 Likes

Thanks for giving your thoughts. And I’m glad that your Stella turned out well because during testing she kept missing the stat gains that are supposed to keep her going as the fragile wrecking ball that she’s supposed to be. And I had been thinking about toning down the final room in Chapter 8 but wanted to see what others thought. I think slowing down enemy Priests like you suggested is probably a good idea. I get where you’re coming from with the effect of enemy speed on hit rates. I do want some enemy types to stay fast/difficult to double (Myrmidons/Wind Mages/Pegasus Knights). Speed is probably the most difficult stat to balance because it has such a big impact on both offense and defense.

Light Brand

The Light Brand is Kyle’s PRF. It might be easy to miss, but he has it equipped when Halifax hits him with Meteor during the cutscene at the end of Chapter 7. Maybe I should give him some dialogue about his Light Brand being taken so the player doesn’t miss it.

Leticia Chapters

These chapters are designed for Leticia to have much more offense than anyone else, and the other units are mainly used to protect her. I do get use out of the other units in her chapters, but Leticia is definitely killing more enemies than anyone else. So it is kind of the point that she’s stronger than the others, but maybe that isn’t as fun to play.

Thanks as always for playing, and I’m glad you enjoyed even if there were some rough spots.

2 Likes

Hmm
Then maybe buffing “normal” bow MT might not be such a bad idea after all?
Longbows and Magicbows are fine as is, but Iron bow with 6 might is kinda…
Maybe take a page from Fates and buff bows MT to 8 Iron/11 Steel/15 Silver? Not only would it help a screwed Stella, but 8 MT Iron bow should one shot the pegasi on Stella’s join chapter and thus they won’t need a HP decrease there or for Stella to come with a Steel bow.

…Or maybe it’s my Fates bow bias speaking as i really love bows there and how strong and useful they are xD

I would suggest changing the hit/evasion formula, but that comes with it’s own can of worms that will need a complete rebalance of the game, so let’s leave that aside, as the balance is fine-ish atm.

I think the easiest way would be to buff player skill or weapon base hits (but doing the 2nd one will be quite a nerf to Martha)

Hmm, did you or others face the same problem? Finding the hit rates a bit low i mean?

Light Brand

Right! How did i forget this xD. Thankfully i got it and the Thunder Sword both^^

Thanks for the fun times!

2 Likes

There’s an FEBuilder patch that makes it so Speed only gives one point of Evade instead of two. Player units would also become easier to hit as well, but it’s a change I would consider making.

2 Likes

If you really wanted to just buff player hit, if enemies have no luck, you could have luck grant more hit than it does in vanilla.

3 Likes

Hmmm

The thing is, that would be a pretty big nerf to Martha (and any dodgy unit in general). More than just the formula will need to be looked at then.

I am generally more a fan of 3/DS formulas than GBA/SNES, but alot of testing will need to be done after such a change. Especially since in 3/DS games innate skills and weapon rank bonuses, advantage and disadvantage matter quite a bit more (especially since at disadvantage weapon rank bonuses are gone, so you can have as much as 6 point and up to 55 hit difference depending on Triangle).

Just to illustrate:

(Even if Reaver doubles the effects, you get the gist of how powerful the weapon rank and triangle is in 3/DS games, hence they
hit/avo formula works with that)

Edit: Not saying it won’t work, but then it will need to come with appropriate changes as well.

2 Likes

Because of true hit, hit rates exponentially trend down as they get closer to 0 (and iirc 50 is below 50) so dodgy units are still much better than non-dodgy units on terrain that grants avo. Could buff non-fort/throne terrain a bit in that case. The terrain buff is still in the player’s advantage as FE AI doesn’t exactly think ahead

Hey, all. Just a quick progress update. Chapters 9 and 10 are written and programmed. Chapter 11 is a big one that I still need to make some assets for, so I wouldn’t say the next release will be soon, but I am aiming to have the next release out before the end of summer (it would be nice to have the first story arc playable when FEE3 happens). But progress on the hack has been moving along at a decent pace.

Saints Blood N.emulator-35

8 Likes

Thank you for all your hard work!

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words.

I haveing an issue with downloading the patch file could you put up a next link

I’m not sure what you mean by “next link.” Clicking on “Latest Patch” will take you to the download.

Got it thanks it was my fault :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad you were able to download it.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to put out a quick update to let you know that I don’t see myself meeting my initial goal of having the next release out before the end of the summer. I changed jobs at the beginning of January and have been dealing with a ~35 min commute each way to work since, so I decided to move closer to work at the end of my current lease. Setting everything up for the move while still working 45-50 hours a week (on top of about 5 hours of driving) doesn’t leave me with a lot of time to work on the game, so please be patient waiting for the next release.

The next release is still coming along and I’m still making time to write out the odd dialogue sequence, but I don’t want to release it in a rushed state. There are a lot of very important character moments coming up, and I want to be sure that they land the way I intend them too.

For those wondering, Saint’s Blood will be at this year’s FEE3. This is thanks almost entirely to @Xilirite who is editing and producing the video for me. Hopefully the next release will be out before FEE3 happens, but please give the video a watch when it drops.

9 Likes

I think I’ve mentioned before that I was never really satisfied with Martha’s design but couldn’t think of any way to improve her. Not only was she more of a basic splice than a lot of other characters, but I think her plainness exacerbated the problem of her, at times, feeling like a background character because Poseidon can be such a scene stealer. I have started working on a new design for her.

Martha 4-Prom0

I think her new clothing fits better with the other designs in the game, and her simple dress and hair style makes for a better juxtaposition with fellow main character, Milton as far as showing that each comes from a different walk of life.

10 Likes