[FE8][Removed by Author] Fire Emblem Deity Device: Saint's Blood

So I’ve figured out how to make save points using Skill System’s Dragon Veins. And I’m planning to add Save Points to the game. However, part of this is that the Suspend feature will be removed from the game because it works by disabling autosave and turning the Suspend feature into a save that doesn’t get overwritten the next time an action is performed or when it’s loaded. I’m wondering if there’s anyone who would be especially bothered by losing the suspend feature.

Saints Blood N.emulator-27

5 Likes

Suspend itself isn’t too big a loss, but autosave is pretty nice to have if you just want to pause on a map and save the rest of it for another time. Here, you may have to replay a few turns to get back to where you were, which isn’t ideal. I can see the upsides of this system, particularly if you’re planning to make very large maps where checkpoints are helpful, but in general, I prefer vanilla’s system.

2 Likes

I remember this feature in Four Kings, and also in FE11, I don’t remember much for FE11 but it worked well in Four Kings in terms of gameplay (since it’s a limited resources by chapter). Also it’s a good feature when the player isn’t playing in ironman while still wanting to play legit (not using emulator savestate) in front of harder and longer chapters.

3 Likes

I understand your point as being able to suspend my game and turn off the console is something I always appreciated about Fire Emblem. However, the intent of this feature is more to provide a way for the player to save within the game, itself, and not feel like he’s cheating by using save states if he doesn’t want to lose all progress in the event of a death or gameover. If the player really needs to set the game aside, chances are he’s playing on a device that can pause and minimize the program and be put to sleep or in a pinch make a save state.

5 Likes

Hmm, what about a save futrue every x Turns instead, ala Kaga saga? I think 3-5 turn saves would work well.

3 Turns saves could also work with those who want to shut down and continue later, for example

2 Likes

I’ve got kind of a weird question, but for anyone who’s played the balance patch, did Phineas not have the Steal+ skill? For some reason on my save file for testing the game, he doesn’t have it, but starting a new game and skipping to when he joins, he does have it when he loads as a new unit. So I really have no idea why he doesn’t have it in my save file and was wondering if he’s missing it for anyone else.

Kelik uploaded a screenshot of Phineas’s status screen a few posts up, and he does have Steal+, so I don’t think it’s anything I need to try to fix, but I wanted to check if anyone’s run into that problem.

But I’ve been working on removing the con check from Steal+ so that Phin and Annie aren’t limited to stealing very light weapons since neither has very high con, which is when I noticed Phin was missing Steal+.

1 Like

Yeah just checked right now, and they both have steal+ for me.
it’s probably a bug from the con changes you’re trying to implement?

2 Likes

Hello I’m wondering if the project still ongoing or it’s on hiatus?

1 Like

It’s being actively worked on.

3 Likes

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to give an update on the progress of the hack. The next version of the game is ready for me to start testing. This will go through Chapter 8. The bulk of the development time since the last release was spent on Chapter 7. The technical aspects of that chapter were a bear to work through, so I hope it’s well received.

As for anyone who has played through what’s been released so far, saves from the first release that came out in October will not be compatible. Saves from the balance patch that was released in January will be compatible, but a few characters have had base state adjustments that you will have to decide if you want to restart for. Notably, Eve has higher base strength. Poseidon has higher base strength, but his base magic was dropped to one. However, he is guaranteed a point of magic with every level up.

The game has gone through a few tech upgrades such as save points being added to maps, and steal possibility is no longer affected by constitution or weapon weight, so Phin and Annie will be able to steal any item or unequipped weapon.

The release AFTER the next one will go to the end of the first major story arc. I feel kind of bad about the slow progress on the hack, not in the sense that I think people will get angry if I don’t push things out faster, but in the sense that I have a lot of material that I’m excited to show, but it’s a ways off from actually being implemented. I’m hoping for the next release to be ready in a week or two, but I can’t give any firm dates.

And the upcoming release will have a lot more of this guy, so brace yourselves.

Saints Blood N.emulator-29

11 Likes

I was actually PUMPED reading it but when I saw the last line and the picture was all like :expressionless: dont mind me just me doing a rant,honestly though im actually very excited.

2 Likes

Hey, I just wanted to give a quick update to follow up on my last post where I said that I was hoping the next release would be ready in about two weeks (which was three weeks ago). It’s going to be a bit longer before it’s ready. I hadn’t really made much time to work on railway models since moving, and over the last few weekends, I had a burst of motivation to finish a project that I had started. That model is done now, so I plan to prioritize preparing the next release.

I just wanted to get ahead of anyone coming in to ask about the delay or if the project was still being worked on. I’m honestly too invested in the story at this point to walk away from it, so please don’t worry. Maybe others who write can relate, but when I have an active writing project, I’m pretty much thinking about the characters on some level for most of the day, so even when I’m not I’m on my computer working in FEBuilder, the project is being worked on in a way.

In general, Saint’s Blood chapters take a bit longer to test than ones from OG Deity Device just because the events tend to be a bit more complicated because of tricks I’ve learned to improve the presentation since wrapping up major work on the first game. This means that there are moving parts and more things that require minor tweaking.

So if you’ve been awaiting the next release, please be patient a while longer.

15 Likes

Hey everyone, I just released a new patch, and you can download it from the “Latest Patch” link in the OP. This patch will allow you to play through Chapter 8. As a reminder, saves from the original release in October are not compatible with the new patch. Saves from the balance patch released in January should be compatible, but several characters have had significant base stat reworks that you may wish to start a new game in order to take advantage of.

I think the game is in a pretty good place difficulty wise where I really feal like I need all of the units to get through the chapters and everyone has a notable talent that affects how battle is approached. But feel free to tell me otherwise or if any enemy type feels way too strong. I thought that I had made enemy Fire Mages kind of unremarkable compared to Wind and Thunder Mages, but playing Chapter 8, I realized I had made them way too strong and had to give them a nerf.

Chapter 8 can get pretty hairy, but I still think the player has the tools to deal with it. And it’s meant to be the most difficult battle up to that point, with Chapter 9 not planned to be as mentally taxing.

In any case, I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts on the latest release. As for the next release, I have to make two new portraits for what I plan to cover in it, but I hope it won’t take me as long to get out (I did completely rebuild the game from scratch after the October release).

Saints Blood N.emulator-34

13 Likes

I type in the thread of FEU.
Hyped before the blood of the Saint.
Come forth, awaited Patch!
This downloads now.

Indignation!

7 Likes

Jo, i have a bug to report!
Usually i would’ve waited until i finished the chapters to post, but i think this is a bit big?

On Chapter 4, after saving at turn 7 on the eastern save point with Wyvern rider, upon reset… he was… gone?

Not like dead gone, but he was somehow hidden and i couldn’t see or select him, nor could enemies attack him, however according to the unit menu he is still there, and if i try to choose him through the unit menu it points me to the empty save tile.

Emulator: mgba.

Also on the very first chapter the “defeat all bandits” on the top right is broken.

On a more positive note, i do feel the gameplay is quite a bit more polished than first release, and i am liking alot of the changes here! I will post full gameplay thoughts once i’ve finished all available chapters^^

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting. That had happened during testing, but it only seemed to happen when there was a save point inside the area for a range event. I thought I had fixed it by adjusting some range, though I don’t recall any range events in Chapter 4, but I’ll try to take a closer look at it after work.

Do you recall if you activated any other events before saving, such as doing the Phin/Richard Talk during the same activation before saving?

2 Likes

Hmmm
Does activating torch staff like 2 turns before saving on that tile count?

The talk i activated much earlier, like turn 1 or 2

2 Likes

It’s possible the counter for the torch did something weird with the save point. I’ll test it out. I might have to just go to having the game ask if you want to save every three turns or something like that because it seems like saving using a map command saves that unit in “hide” status if there are any other checks associated with that tile. Anytime you select a unit, they are put in hide status and replaced with their moving sprite until they are either deselected or finish acting. My guess is having other stuff the game checks on the save tile causes them to be stuck in hide limbo when reloading the game.

2 Likes

One of the things I’ve noticed is that you kind of love to hate Theodore, especially if you have played Deity Device.

4 Likes

Theo definitely has some strong opinions about how the first game went.

I tested it out, and casting Torch on the save tile was indeed the culprit. While I like the idea of save points, they ultimately seem to be too fragile to keep around. I put out a quick fix patch that removes save points and instead asks the player if they would like to save at the start of every fourth turn. If anyone would like to switch to this patch, your save can be used with it.

I do want to keep mid chapter saving as the way the game is designed with a low unit count and a lot of Gameover units, not giving the option to save mid-battle could make the game frustrating for some.

5 Likes