[FE8][Removed by Author] Fire Emblem Deity Device: Saint's Blood

I’d be down for a 4th playthrough

2 Likes

I released a balance overhaul of my own hack not too long ago and got fantastic feedback from the experience. Being able to compare what people comment on between both versions will give you a great sense of where your recent changes have done good work and how they did so. I’d gladly play the new patch from scratch myself.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the replies/likes. I’ll drop a balance patch once I’m done checking everything works. :slightly_smiling_face:

An odd thing I’ve been running into is some of the older spell animations from the repo need to be modified to work with the more modern spell loader. OG Deity Device used the old one based on FEditor. But Builder doesn’t seem to run that one very well anymore. I’ve noticed the CSA loader displays better animations in game that don’t looked washed out like the old FEditor one, but some older animations need their Miss Termination adjusted or else the game displays a cropped version of another animation after the spell misses. It doesn’t have any detrimental effects (that I’ve noticed), but it looks really weird.

3 Likes

Happy New Year FEU. The first balance patch for the game is out. Big thanks to @HyperGammaSpaces for helping me get the convoy partitions working; @Infernal_Ice.Berg for creating a .s file for the True Mirror (it’s used as the Player Phase theme in Chapter 5); and @Sterling_Glovner for providing portraits of Leticia and Tiernon with improved shading.

The main change is that enemies are a lot tougher now, so it’s harder to pull off a capture. I think it makes Annie and Phin’s ability to steal items without having to capture more valuable.

Several units have had their bases/growths adjusted to compensate for the fewer number of total levels. Units now gain 30 continuous levels without resetting after promotion. Base EXP gain has been reduced by 10, also to compensate for the fewer total levels. This sort of thing is subject to change once I get a picture of what later parts of the game look like. A few characters had their promoted classes changed, but since promotion isn’t available for anyone yet, it’s a non-factor for now.

Support values have also been adjusted because units can have more supports than vanilla:

Fire: 1 Power; 2 Avoid; 2 Critical; 3 Hit
Thunder: 1 Power; 2 Avoid; 3 Critical; 2 Critical Avoid
Wind: 1 Power; 3 Avoid; 2 Critical; 2 Hit
Ice: 1 Defense; 3 Avoid; 2 Critical; 2 Critical Avoid
Dark: 3 Avoid; 2 Critical; 2 Hit; 3 Critical Avoid
Light: 1 Power; 2 Avoid; 2 Critical; 3 Critical Avoid
Leticia: 1 Defense; 2 Avoid; 3 Hit; 2 Critical Avoid

Chapter 4 was pretty challenging, but I ultimately think it’s still doable. I’m interested to find out how it goes for others.

In Chapter 5, I experimented with giving the Priest one of the new 2-5 range mini-siege tomes, but it was way too oppressive with the map layout and the enemy dancer.

And Milton can summon!

Saints Blood N.emulator-24

The story hasn’t changed. There were several instances of tweaking the dialogue when I didn’t think the phrasing sounded right for the character and avoiding repetitive phrasing or sentence structure. A couple of scenes were reworked to make the intent clearer, and the there is an additional dialogue sequence at the start of Chapter 5 to better communicate its context within the larger narrative.

Anyway, give the new patch a try if you feel like it, and thanks in advance for any feedback.

5 Likes

if you go through this route the boss attacks you on turn 1 and the dialouge says that they are all dead even though two of them are still alive, this is more of a nitpick but maybe change the vulnerary description to say how much it heals? alot of hacks are changing how much they heal and sometimes it can get confusing and ruin strategies unless I know how much I am healing. I think chapter one’s boss is a little rough because georgette has 0 damage against him and martha only has good dodge rate on player phase and theo has only 70 hit, chapter 2 is fine I dont really have any problems with it but staff exp seems to be a little way too low. chapter 3 also I dont really have any problems, granny smith seems way too weak compared to honeycrisp.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comments. While I did want to address the perception that the Cavs were underpowered, I still don’t intend to make Eve a powerhouse because of her mounted staff utility with Canto+. If you’re familiar with the Jugdral games, I would reference how Ethlyn has pretty poor combat performance, but she’s still a pretty useful unit while she’s around. Similarly, FE5 Nanna has low stats and growths (unless you micromanage her with scrolls), and she’s mostly a utility unit who can occasionally contribute damage because of the Earth Sword’s huge base Might. But she’s still probably one of the better units in FE5.

As far as Staff Exp goes, because there are no staff locked units, I didn’t want to create a loophole where the player could abuse staves to power level staff units to trivialize the combat. I’ll admit that I play FE4 in such a way that I build up gold on Dew in Chapter 1 so that he can give it to Lachesis, and she’ll have enough gold to park at the home castle and reach her promotion by using the Return Staff repeatedly. Master Knight Lachesis is borderline invincible until Chapter 5, and by then you have Forseti, so getting her promotion in Chapter 2 is pretty broken.

Because FEGBA calculates Staff EXP based on the Staff’s worth in Gold, some of the rarer staffs give a lot of EXP, but because they’re so limited, the player has less incentive to waste the staff just to get a burst of EXP. But I see a lot of potential for Poseidon, Georgette, Milton, Clarabel, and even Eve to run away with the early/mid game if they can power level with staves. And with Georgette getting two free uses of Rescue each map, I didn’t want that to be a free source of 70 or so EXP with no cost.

1 Like

I disagree mainly because my first ever fe4 playthrough where i knew basically nothing my ethlyn promoted to paladin and solo’d Edilgan with her quan/sigurd supports cuz i didn’t know anything about that game at the time lol. anyways time see what i can break on this update.

2 Likes

Just finished the balance patch and it’s pretty good, both of the previous bugs i mentioned (The bugged conversation at the start of chapter 4 and the Issues’ with Milton’s convoy) being fixed is really nice as they where the most obvious ones, i wasn’t able to find any bugs on mGBA (with maybe one exception) which was a little frustrating not gonna lie, so the rest of this post will be nitpick tier as revenge!

• Oliver’s smite

This seemed to have some weird ai that i haven’t really seen, i waited every turn for it to break while in range of it only, all 3 units in range and i intentionally didn’t use barrier either, i reached him on turn 7 and he only used this tome in turns 8,14,18,20,24 and 26. i noticed the weird targeting when he didn’t use it on turn 7 so i wanted to test it, it’s not a very important “Issue” but it may affect chapters later down the line which is the only reason i’m mentioning it.

It shows as D rank instead of prf like the rest of her spells, and there’s a typo (It says strike instead of strikes), there aren’t any other members of her bloodline in her campaign so far, and i doubt there will be so i can’t test wheter or not they can use it.

Other than that i didn’t see any issue which is very nice. Hope everything’s going smoothly and i wish everyone a happy (altough late) New year!

2 Likes

Forgot to talk about the gameplay changes that where noticeable, mainly in chapter 5.

Milton’s summon is pretty fun, double healing, infinite heal staff availability and rally movement are pretty great, specially the later one as it provides a lot of new options on a turn by turn basis, it may be a little too powerful but it’s fine since i assume later maps would require something like that.

Enemy dancers are always fun, the priest at the start of chapter 5 being able to cast sleep twice per turn because of them is pretty funny too, the dancer in the treasure room giving that thief double turns can be a bit annoying as you now need to beeline for the chests, but it’s still doable while challenging and that is good.

You mentioned chapter four being a bit too challenging, while i found it to be pretty balanced altough leaning on the difficult side, the only complaint i would have is that the steel blade mercenary towards the right of the map could easily one shot some units if you rush for that torch mercenary on turn 1, otherwise it was pretty fun and fair for a fog of war map due to all the torches and the torch staff.

2 Likes

So I checked Oliver’s AI because that sounded weird, and I had accidently set him to have a 50% chance of taking an action. Thanks for catching that.

I’m glad Chapter 4 went well for the most part. I hadn’t mentioned it, but I did extend the size of the map by two tiles on the right and top so that enemies can spawn further away.

1 Like

I am not alone! xD

My Ethlyn and Nanna were nothing short of amazing. I remember Ethlyn critting left and right, and Nanna, well

3 Likes

That is not a typo. Verbs don’t have s’s at the end if the subject they’re describing is plural.

3 Likes

oh, if true i’m sorry then. Being self taught hurts when it comes to little things like that.

2 Likes

no problem, nothing to apologize for

3 Likes

hey perma it’s me again :sweat_smile: so I palyed it and:

spoilers (maybe)please read at your own risk (wait a minute why am I making it sound like a really dangerous thing,cuz people can hate spoilers)

so the first thing is that:

yay three line text (if I was there I would’ve hurt him so bad) so yeah there are a lot of bugs,first of all:

yep!
second:

you might have them mixed up?
I think these are the only ‘‘big’’ issues but I had a great time playing through the demo.

characters:

she’s bad like really bad

im gonna really like him.kinda has my personality,lol.

woah calm down there theo.

that’s definitely a skill I’d like.

hah! I knew it she liked vincent and annie is definitely her kid.(I don’t know if that’s her kid but she’s definitely related to lucy,lol.)

so he gonna be the next carson or nathan?(both op bois)

is that who I think it is?

omg,I love this face.
some more bugs,I guess:

also the range is pretty broken.like that guy managed to hit jake.

not a big issue but you might wanna look at this she just stands in that pose.

now this is pretty cool.

that’s all from me though the hack needs a little polishing but it’s promising looking forward to it,keep it up. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

In what way does leticia suck? She has great combat and can tank 2-3 hits which isn’t great but doesn’t really matter when your 1 shotting everything

3 Likes

The bugged conversation that you mention only plays incorrectly on less capable emulators. It plays fine on mGBA, which is the most commonly used emulator for hack developers. Other emulators can go haywire with certain patches. My guess is that all of the Text Rework commands combined with going in and out of the conversation to play sound effects and change the music is too taxing for weaker emulators.

The Thief isn’t supposed to be able to use the Lancereaver. Thieves can’t use swords. They can only use Daggers and Knives. It’s in his inventory as something the player can try to take.

2 Likes

Oh lord, that’s a 1.36% true hit, you got unlucky haha.

3 Likes

yep you have a great point:

since she can one-shot everything,but I was mentioning her luck and resistance so she might get one-shotted by enemies.it’s pretty much my fault for not mentioning it clearly :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

oh yeah it might have slipped frome me:

anyways thanks for clearing it.

@Luba seems like it,lol.

2 Likes