[FE8] FE1 Shadow Dragon Faithful Remaster V1.9.2

“Starlight: Starlight has the ability to mitigate Imhullu’s effects, but it also mitigates mage dragons.”

Why is this case? How are you implementing Starlight and Imhullu? As, since you only have one magic type, it seems like it would be pretty easy to make Starlight and Imhullu using the weapon triangle. Just make Imhullu a dark tome with weapon triangle advantage over all weapon types except light magic (set the hit rates to -200 or something) and then make Starlight the only light magic. The only issue would be Starlight lacking a weapon ranks to work towards (though if you give it weapon ranks null and have it grant 0exp it won’t even show up on the weapon ranks page but anyone with the right lock could use it).

No sign of it in the doc, but how does Falchion work? Does it grant immunity to melee attacks? There is a skill in the skill system that grants immunity to ranged attacks but unfortunately none that does the same for melee attacks. Though you could use the same weapon triangle work around to give Falchion advantage over axes, swords and lances by making it the only monster weapon in the game.

1 Like

FE1 It seems like the mobility is 12.

1 Like

Ok, so
An idea

You know how in FE all weapons use the same rank?
Do exactly that and combine it with the weapon lock ex patch.
I tried it once and it even the staves work.

2 Likes

So I noticed the reinforcements aren’t ambush spawns… And while I appreciate the QoL, ambush spawns are essential for a real FE1 experience.

Also, some units that were stationary in the original game move here.

In general if you want some help with the hack, I can help.

3 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been preoccupied with other things. I gave Imhullu a 99 defence and resistance stats, and I gave Starlight the flag to negate defences. I hadn’t thought about that, but it’s an excellent idea. I’ll try it out and include it in a future update.

Only Medeus is subject to bonus damage from Falchion, also it can restore all of the Marth’s HP. Non-magical attacks are not negated by it. However, I need to test the weapon triangle trick you mentioned to see whether it works.

I don’t understand what the issue is here? Did you use cheats to max out his stats?

This is already on my todo list. I will get to it eventually.

Oh, I wasn’t aware that FE1 had ambush spawns. I will definitely fix this next update.

Do you have any examples of this? Despite my best efforts, I probably missed some of the original AI movement because of the large number of units.

If you can provide any kind of help that would be appreciated.

1 Like

Easy way to do Imhulu/Starlight: Give Gharnef a unique bishop class. Make Imhulu give 40 def and exactly 26 res. Make Starlight effective against the Gharnef class.

It was ALL ambush spawns.

I’m pretty sure the squad that’s guarding the bridge doesn’t move, but I’d double-check it with the actual game.

Can you set how effective it is? Maybe a combination of a skill that blocks any damage on Gharnef + Nihil on Starlight would work better.

Starlight has 13 might. Effectiveness multiplies that by 3 to 39, piercing 26 res. Gharnef takes 13 damage.

Is this accurate to FE1, though? That’s the point of the project.

This could also work.

In this long play you can see them move.

Ok, valid, I misremembered.

BTW, consider switching the art and description for the skills you’re using to represent the quirks of FE1. Changing Provoke to Enemy of Dolhr and Locktouch to The Fire Emblem would be cool.

Portrait Editor Fire Emblem - the Sacred Stones # GBA.GBA_5@05 Cain_8ACC50Portrait Editor Fire Emblem - the Sacred Stones # GBA.GBA_6@06 Abel_8ACC6C

BTW when I treid to do literally the same project, I used portraits from the Repo but put the original mugs as minimugs. Thought it was cool. The two above are just examples.

1 Like

You probably thought of the DS remake where the knight doesn’t move. The AI is very different from the SNES and DS games.

Yeah, I could do that, good idea.

The issue with the repo portraits is that not all characters have one, and the art styles differ. If certain characters had portraits but others didn’t, it would, in my view, seem badly out of place.

v1.5 Changelog:

• Bishop’s unit card has been altered to better reflect the unit’s sprite.
  • Reinforcements now operate during the enemy phase, turning them into ambush spawns.
  • Starlight can no longer harm mage dragons.
  • Skills now go under different names. Provoke, Lock-pick, and Tower Shield+ are now “Altea’s Heir,” “Fire Emblem,” and “Shadow Dragon,” respectively.

I attempted to use the additional weapon rankings, but I was unable. Every time the weapon rank increased, it kept on being reset back to the previous level. I believe there may be a patch conflict? Furthermore, the weapon triangle trick failed since it turned the Falchion into a magical weapon. Additionally, since dragonstones are regarded as monster weapons, I was unable to turn it into one.

3 Likes

The idea of this Hack is very intriguing and suggestive, but I find the character portraits, however, too crude, inadequate, and out of place. Instead, it would be nice if some users recreated new portraits, more modern and in line with FE8 standards, while still being inspired by the original characters from the SNES version: what do you think?

The problem with something like that is that it’s a great idea, but takes a lot of work to actually accomplish and few people are willing to create something on the order of 50 new portraits for a project. You can mix and match different portraits made by different people, but you’ll run into issues of different artsyles clashing. I too am working on an Archanea fangame and I’m working to get more Archanean portraits a available by having someone recolour the Shadow Dragon and New Mystery portraits to work with GBA palettes (shout out to @feels aka Lenh who is doing a great job), but the simple truth is that there are a tonne of Archanean characters even if you take just the first game alone. Maybe the tracing method could be adopted and we could get a group of artists working on creating the entire cast in a way that would look similar, but for something like that we need the actual volunteers with free time.

1 Like

Midia’s horse was secretly imported from Elibe and has 19 aid, which let me do funny stuff like attack Medeus with the Gradivus, then warp Midia to rescue, then finish Medeus with the Falchion in a single turn. Part of me wants this to stay so that she can be good in one other universe besides FE12 Reverse Recruitment.

1 Like

v1.5.1 Changelog:
I have fixed the issue with Milda’s class.

As far as recsuing and mounted Aid goes, I think you can simply remove Rescue as a function entirely by removing it from the list of commands.

1 Like

Are there any videos of this hack in motion?

How do you handle characters without FE3 portraits like Roger, Jake and the various bosses like Heimler?

No, there is no videos of this hack that I know.

They have same style of portraits as the rest of the cast.