[FE8] FE1 Shadow Dragon Faithful Remaster V1.9.2

It’s pretty easy compared to most games in the series, I’d say. Definitely easier than any hard mode from later in the series.

1 Like

So after messing around with FEBuilder for a bit found a way to implement something similar to the fixed experience gain from FE1. If you set a class’ relative power to 0, it will always gain 1 exp from a combat where it deals damage but does not kill. This is presumably because the equation now tries to divide by 0 and as a failsafe just gives you the minimum exp value for that combat of 1. By using the modular exp patch I gave every playable class a x10 multiplier on their exp so that they would always get 10 exp for dealing damage. I then set the kill bonus for exp to 3. This made it so that every kill regardless of the level of the player unit or the enemy would give 30 experience, and by giving certain classes the “thief” flag I could give them a further bonus (in this case just 1) which would change the kill exp to 40. This flag could be given to any class that gave more exp when killed in the original like promoted enemies if you like, but it would also allow them to use lockpicks, an issue which could potentially be circumvented by just removing them from the game and giving thieves the locktouch skill. Doing things this way is a bit limited and can’t recreate the specific values of the original game exactly but I think it may be worth trying out to keep the exp curve more similar to the original FE1.

2 Likes

chapter 10: everything just freeze eveytime I point the cursor on the boss. Try to reset several times but it still freeze.

1 Like

Ok, I found what the issue was, The portrait for Zharkov wasn’t imported correctly. I have fixed the issue. You should update to 1.8.2. I’m sorry for this.

I’ll look into this when I have the time.

V1.8.2 Changelog:

• Fixed a crash on chapter 10.
1 Like

I figured a better way to implement the fixed exp!
Instead of changing the multiplier of the playable classes, you can change the “granting multiplier” of the enemies. With a granting multiplier of 8, a pirate would give 8 exp when dealing damage to them and 24 exp when killing them if the exp bonus for killing is set to 3 and the class power of both classes is 0. You can change the granting multiplier for each individual class, so a paladin might have a granting modifier of 15 so that when they are killed they give 45 experience, which is close to the 44 they gave in the original. As a bonus, this way of doing things doesn’t need to involve the thief flag at all.
From what I’ve gathered I think in FE1 enemies give 1 extra exp when killed per level above 1 and an extra 10 if they are a boss. These can’t really be implemented this way but you could set the boss exp bonus to 1 for a bit of a boost (e.g. a pirate boss would give 32 exp rather than 24).

Edit: When the thief reaches the village in chapter 22 it isn’t destroyed. A message pops up saying it was destroyed but nothing happens and the thief keeps trying to destroy it every turn.

2 Likes

Very good! I have done what you suggested. Thanks once again for your amazing help and suggestions.

Fixed, thanks for reporting.

I apologise if there any potential regressions with the new EXP system, I only had a little time of play-testing it. If anyone notices anything off, please mention it in the thread, thanks.

V1.9 Changelog:

• Changed how EXP is calculated, making it more faithful to FE1’s EXP system.
  • Fixed an issue in chapter 22, where the village wouldn’t be destroyed.
4 Likes

So I’m pretty sure after some testing that the devil effect probability editor doesn’t work with the skill system involved and the odds of the devil sword or axe backfiring is actually 31-luck%. I made another thread asking about it, and it seems the devil effect calculation is now located elsewhere in the rom.
Devil Effect Probability Issues

1 Like

Hey Slig, I’m interested in playing your rom but for personal use, I would like to add a few levels of hard mode bonuses for an extra challenge. I noticed you disabled the difficulty selection though and was wondering how would I be able to revert it?

It’s not my hack it’s OP’s hack, but if you want to reenable the difficulty select you can open the rom in FEBuilder, then go to the “toggle difficulty select skip” under the patch list and change it back to the default setting. You’ll have to input the enemy growth rates for each class and the extra levels for each chapter yourself to make a functioning hard mode though.

Incidentally, I’m actually making a hard mode myself and was going to post it in another thread. I might be able to do that today.

2 Likes

Lmao my bad, I saw a green tag and how much you’ve posted and assume u were the maker. But if you’re gonna do a hard mode, yea I would to get my hands on it, would mean a lot. Thank you!

1 Like

This is obviously the one retelling of FE1 worth playing because it’s the only one brave enough to include Darros in its unaltered state.

Spoiler

darros1 darros2

Being serious, though. I understand why the FE11 weapon ranks are in use here, and it’s a shame. But I’ve noticed that Sheeda is unable to use the Silver Lance at base, which is possible in FE1.

Character weapon ranks have been modified to match the base WLV from FE1.

Unless I’m missing something, this isn’t actually true. Hardin is also unable to use the Silver Sword despite being able to use any sword at base in FE1. There are probably other examples, but I haven’t gotten far enough to see.

1 Like

I have an idea in how to make the Geo Sphere work. It’s a bit involved, but it should work more effectively than an AOE attack…at least I think. First, use the Event from an Item patch to give the Gepsphere a “Use” effect that triggers an event. Then, inside the event, use “Sub Coordinate [X,Y] unit’s [Status>HP] by [Decrease Value->13]”. I think you might run into issues if you subtract a unit’s HP below 0 with this, so you might have to make an if statement using “Coordinare [X,Y] Get Unit [Status->HP]” ensure they’re above 13, and if they’re below it then set their HP to 1.

On second thought, trying to test it out myself, there doesn’t seem to be a way to set a variable for the X and Y positions. They can only be entered in manually. Which means you’d have to do this like fifty times to cover the whole map (and I’m not sure how it would work if you tried to target spaces outside the current map because it’s smaller than the biggest map). That would take a lot of tedious work. But I can almost guarantee it would work without issue as I’ve done something like this to replicate the Upheaval skill in one of my chapters.

To clarify, the “FE11 weapon ranks”, I meant as FE11’s weapon experience ranks. Since it’s different compared to the GBA games. It’s my bad, as I should’ve had this in the original post, of which I’ll change now.
C rank 71 > 76, B rank 121 > 136, A rank 181 > 196.

But yes, you are correct about the weapons ranks being off. It would seem that I made some errors in this regard. I have now attempted to rework the weapon levels, this graph below will show it.

A Rank: 9, 10+
B Rank: 7, 8
C Rank: 5, 6
D Rank: 3, 4
E Rank: 1, 2

Each number represents a weapon level stat of FE1. I have tried to adjust them to be similar to the GBA weapon rank system. There is probably a better way to implement this, If anyone has ideas, feel free to let me know. I do remember trying out a patch which added more weapon ranks. I thought this could be a great way to introduce FE1’s WLV stats by having each number being its own weapon rank. But unfortunately, I ran into glitches when trying to attempt this.

This does sound promising, but as you said this will “take a lot of tedious work”. I don’t really have the time or motivation to attempt this. Perhaps maybe in future when I feel like it. Thanks anyway, nerveless.

1 Like

V1.9.1 Changelog:

• Heimler now has a portrait.
  • Readjusted weapons ranks of characters and items to try to be more accurate.
4 Likes

Abel’s speed, luck and defense growths are slightly wrong. I think he is the only character with this issue.

1 Like

V 1.9.2 Changelog:

• Fixed Abel’s growth rates.

Yeah, I don’t understand how it took me or anyone else this long to realise the rates were wrong. Lmao.

3 Likes

The hackrom is very good and everything… But I found two errors:

The first error: It occurs in the Arenas, which cannot be entered and the game is bugged.

The second error: In chapter 24, on turn 2, it happens to me that when the enemy Monaketes move, the game is bugged, making it impossible to advance.

First of, what emulator are you using? Because the errors you state don’t happen to me while using VBA-M. Try to use VBA-M, some emulators don’t really work well with rom hacks for whatever reason. I believe someone else in this thread also had the second error, which was caused because of the MGBA emulator.

I wished that this didn’t happen as I have no clue what in the rom hack would be causing other emulators to play not nice with it.

1 Like

I have played several hackroms with my emulator, and there are few games that show errors of this style.

I use the Jhon Gba.

Then I would suggest that you would try to use VBA-M emulator. Hopefully that would work? I only use emulators on the PC, so I’m not sure how they work on tablets and phones.

1 Like