[FE8] FE:RL - Hetja's Quest v0.7.07 (Roguelike)

• i think that makes sense considering how important game knowledge is here, but i do think its worth at least looking into minor adjustments. I will say that bulk generally fine as is, cause ohkoing frail classes is a good way to keep your health high

• i think if you add a 1-2 range bow, it should be somethin more than generic 1-2 range. Generic 1-2 range is really boring, something like CQ Shining Bow seems like a better idea.

• sophia’s biggest downside is that she is inconsistent and frail. You can keep her speed/bulk low, but she needs better accuracy for sure. buffing luna to be more like its FE7 iteration (minus the crit) would help as well.

• ig this is an archer point more than a midboss point, but i remember seeing a bow in a hack with over 20 might and weight, with good hit and low rank, but balanced by having like 8 uses. Could be a cool way to pre-empt the surrounding issue or punch through big bulk foes

• resetting the enemy party size is a good idea for sure.

• good to hear and good luck! im lookin forward to it

• i figured, and this is why i didnt harp on it too much. looking forward to this expansion as well.

• no problem! you might be able to adjust skills using the learn skill event? I dont know how you reset units though, so that might not work

1 Like

Oh, sorry, last thing!

I think greenies are a bit underpowered atm? The strongest one by far is the Iron Blade Merc, but they don’t grow fast enough to keep up. Maybe they should promo with you? Alternatively, they could get weapon upgrades at set intervals.

2 Likes

Well, i have plqyed the game a lot this day and i have encounter with the same bug i have reported days ago.
Lilina Lv20 has E in both Light and Dark, but she has tomes that she cannot equip, and she has Fimbulvetr, and if she attacks me the game softlocks. Disabling the animations the bug is solved.

And also Ashnard has meth problems

Serious balance problem i think

And Gilliam has f… used their skills even when i have Nihil.
Aaand the Dragon axe is not effective against Wyvern Knights, even if the weapon desc says that.

2 Likes

This should be fixed in the next update. Almost all of the Mini Boss battles are being updated. If you run into another Lilina softlock, can you get a screenshot/write down the order of actions (ie Lilina initiates battle with X weapon, I counter attack with Y character using Z weapon, freeze)? Also if you notice any other units unable to use the weapons they’ve been given, please let me know.

Yeah I think the talking frames aren’t line up properly in Ashnard’s portrait. I got it from the repo. I’ll try fixing it on my own, if I’m not able to do it I’ll get in contact with the original creator.

Right now, all legendary weapons cost the same and are as close to vanilla as possible. Maybe in the future I’ll balance the prices, but right now its not something I’m worried about.

If Nihil isn’t working, it might be an issue with Skill System. I am using a relatively old version, so its definitely possible.

Dragon Axe/Wyrmslayer/Dragonspear should be effective against all dragons. Wyvern Knights are listed in their effectiveness table. Outside of an enemy wyvern having an effectiveness nullifying item/skill, I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be effective. I’ll look into it and run some tests.

First, the Legendary Axe (i don’t remember what) was effective but that weapon isn’t, so no. it wasn’t a skill or something.
Second, Lilina attacked me first. It is not a Fimbulvetr problem because another boss used me that spell and nothing. At the moment the animation started the game softlocks.

1 Like

Just finished a bunch of testing. I couldn’t replicate the Lilina bug or the dragon effective bug, but I do have a theory as to why you’re having issues.

Are you using the game’s in-game saving, or whatever emulator your using’s version of save states/snapshots, or a combination of the two?

I know that save states/snapshot based saving do not play nicely with romhack updates. They don’t know to load any added data or any data that was moved.

Lilina’s Sage battle animations and the dragon effective table used for Dragon Axe/Wyrmslayer/Dragonspear are things that have been edited and moved within the games code as a result of the changes introduced in previous patches. Armads still had its dragon effectiveness because it uses a separate effectiveness table that hasn’t been updated since the item’s inclusion was edited, but not extended or moved.

i have played a new save file since the update, so no, it is not a save file issue and i do not use save states between versions. And i tried with myboy (android) and visual boy advance (pc), and both of them has the same problems.

Hmmm interesting. I’ll keep this in mind and do some more testing. Hopefully either its fixed in the new patch or other people submit similar bug reports so I can pinpoint the issue.

Heya, just had my first successful run. It was a blast to play through. Double Lion is definitely one of the skills of all time.
Hejta
Hejta's Victory
Also I found a bug where if your unit dies because of counter (they die from the counter skill) then the game loops between other phase and enemy phase ad infinitum. It was still a great time and I intend to try it out with other characters in the future!

2 Likes

Nice build!

Good catch. I think I figured out a fix. Gonna do a bit more testing to make sure I got it. This should be fixed in the next update.

Next update should release tomorrow if all goes well.

1 Like

0.7.05 (6/28/2023)

Today marks one month since the public release of Hetja’s Quest. Thank you to everyone who has checked out the game so far.

In this update we’ve got some community requested features, item updates + new items, enemy balancing changes, player character balance changes, and a handful of bug fixes.

How to Safely Update

• Manually save in-game (by finishing a run, traveling from the hub area to the labyrinth, or during Preparations)
  • Apply 0.7.05 patch to new fresh FE8U .gba rom
  • Delete (or rename/move) old rom and replace with newly patched rom
  • Make sure new rom and your old game save have the same name (eg HetjasQuest.gba + HetjasQuest.sav)
  • Open game using your emulator of choice
  • Choose Restart Chapter

Hub Area Specific Changes

• Auto Voucher
    Automatically convert all unspent gold to vouchers before leaving for the labyrinth. Can be turned on/off at Merlinus’ Tent. Off by default.
    Note: Having Auto Voucher enabled while having a completely full convoy can cause bugs. If you notice your convoy hitting half occupancy, please start using them or convert groups of the smaller vouchers for singular larger vouchers.

• Fixed bug with Garden LV 2 not showing the correct tile changes

Labyrinth Specific Changes

• Added Fixed Growths mode
    For those that want a bit more control over the growth of their units. Can be turned on/off before a run starts in the options menu. Off by default (unless your Hetja was a Bonewalker before updating to the newest patch, see Misc Notes below).

• Post Master Seal enemy unit base level reduced 20/10 → 10/10
    There has been a fair bit of criticism about the difficulty spike after promoting. I hope that this change will lessen the gap between the player and the enemy while still maintaining difficulty. I’ll keep an eye on this to see whether it needs to be nudged again in either direction. Enemies still gain 1 level per Chapter as per usual.

• Post Master Seal Mini Boss party size now scales
    CH 10: Unpromoted Mini Boss + 4 unpromoted
    CH 11: Promoted Mini Boss
    CH 12: Promoted Mini Boss + 1 promoted
    CH 13: Promoted Mini Boss + 2 promoted
    CH 14: Promoted Mini Boss + 3 promoted
    CH 15+: Promoted Mini Boss + 4 promoted

• Added 8 new post Master Seal enemy formations per Mini Boss to accommodate the above change

• Added 2 new shop inventory possibilities

• Edited multiple shop inventories to include greater variety

• Fixed bug in enemy Micaiah death quote

• Updated enemy Gilliam’s learned skills table
    LV 5 Elbow Room
    LV 7 Natural Cover → None
    LV 9 Chivalry
    LV 10 Strong Riposte → None
    LV 13 None → Lancefaire
    LV19 None → Great Shield

• Fixed inconsistency with CH 11 Mini Bosses being level 10/10 instead of 10/11

• Fixed bug where some of the new items were not being properly confiscated at the end of a run

• Fixed bug with Ashnard’s portraits

• Fixed bug where dying to an enemy Counter skill proc could cause a softlock

Character Specific Changes

• Hetja (Archer)
    Bases
    STR increased 4 → 6
    SKL increased 3 → 6

• Hetja (Mage)
    Bases
    Max HP increased 16 → 18
    STR increased 1 → 2
    MAG increased 1 → 3
    SKL increased 2 → 4
    SPD increased 3 → 4
    DEF reduced 3 → 2

• Hetja (Bonewalker)
    Lost base access to lances and bows

• Dorothy
    Bases
    STR increased 4 → 6
    SKL increased 5 → 7

Class Specific Changes

• Sage (Lilina)
    Updated description to include all available usable weapon types and removed unusable weapon types

• Shaman (F)
    Base Con increased 3 → 7

• Druid (F)
    Base Con increased 4 → 8

• Summoner (F)
    Base Con increased 4 → 8

• Bonewalker
    Weapon Access Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow → Sword/Axe
    Promotion Wight/Mogall Rider → Wight/Dread Fighter

• Wight
    Bases
    HP reduced 21 → 20
    STR increased 7 → 8
    SKL increased 5 → 6
    SPD increased 6 → 9
    DEF increased 5 → 7
    RES increased 2 → 3
    Class Skill Luna → Life and Death
    Weapon Access Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow
    Max Stats
    DEF increased 22 → 28
    RES increased 23 → 25

• Mogall Rider
    Temporarily removed
    I’m reworking Mogall Rider into a new base class able to be chosen during character creation, coming in a future update. If there are any other base classes you want to see added to character creation, please let me know.

• Dread Fighter
    Weapon Access Sword/Axe/Anima/Dark
    New class, based on a mix of Awakening/Echoes Dread Fighter.

Item Specific Changes

• Saunion
    Lance C / Uses 20 / Pow 9 / Hit 70 / Weight 11 / Crit 0 / Range 2-3 / WExp 1 / Cost 1200
    New item. Having a 2-3 range lance option should benefit both player and enemy phase, giving that additional tile of range or opening up the enemy to a close range attack that they can’t counter attack.

• Hatchet
    Uses reduced 50 → 35
    Cost reduced 500 → 420
    Hatchet has had it too good for too long, surviving waves of item changes despite having double the uses of any other not-typically-ranged weapon type’s best ranged option. Its still got more uses than any other ranged sword/lance/axe, just less than before.

• Fujin Yumi
    Bow E / Uses 35 / Pow 7 / Hit 80 / Weight 5 / Crit 0 / Range 2 / WExp 2 / Cost 2520
    Traversable terrain cost reduced to 1.
    New item.

• Heavy Bow
    Bow D / Uses 10 / Pow 8 / Hit 85 / Weight 16 / Crit 0 / Range 2 / WExp 1 / Cost 2600
    Effective against armored, mounted, and fliers.
    New item. Overcosted for an effective weapon but its basically a boulder with the ability to OHKO 30+ classes. I’ll be keeping an eye on this one.

• Bright Bow
    Bow B / Uses 25 / Pow 10 / Hit 70 / Weight 9 / Crit 0 / Range 1-2 / WExp 1 / Cost 4500
    Deals magic damage. Can attack from close range. Effective against fliers.
    New item. Bows finally get something that can hit at close range. I think the cost and the weapon level requirement balance that out. Definitely something I’d need player feedback on to get the balancing just right. Expect bow wielding Mini Bosses to occasionally get access to these.

• Lughnasadh
    Bow S / Uses 20 / Pow 16 / Hit 100 / Weight 5 / Crit 5 / Range 2 / Cost 12000
    SPD +5, effective against fliers.
    New item.

• Thunder
    Gained effective against dragons
    Magic is getting the PoR treatment, gaining effectiveness.

• Bolting
    Gained effective against dragons

• Alacalibur
    Anima B / Uses 20 / Pow 8 / Hit 85 / Weight 2 / Crit 0 / Range 1-2 / WExp 1 / Cost 1100
    Effective against fliers.
    New item.

• Thani
    New magic animation

• Luna
    Hit increased 60 → 95

• Edict
    Dark C / Uses 20 / Pow 5 / Hit 70 / Weight 6 / Crit 0 / Range 1-2 / WExp 1 / Cost 2500
    Effective against unpromoted classes.
    New item. Dark magic hosts plenty of gimmicks. Whether that be draining hp, negating defenses, causing a debuff, or chopping your HP in half. Having an effective weapon thats only effective for half of any finished run, at most, seems to be a decent balance to such a wide effective pool and facilitates enough of a niche to be better or worse than other effective weapons depending on the situation.

• Eradicate
    Dark A / Uses 10 / Pow 10 / Hit 70 / Weight 13 / Crit 5 / Range 1-2 / WExp 1 / Cost 4500
    Effective against promoted classes (excluding unique Final Boss classes like Necromancer, King, Marshall, King Daein)
    New item.

Skill Specific Changes

• Updated Seal Str’s description to reflect that it does not reduce Mag

Misc Notes

• Some of the new magic animations kill the BGM during battle

• Bonewalker Hetjas created before this patch will lose access to lances/bows at the beginning of the next run if those individual weapon rank levels have not been raised to at least D rank.

• Bonewalker Hetjas created before this patch currently have a bug due to a couple flags being moved around in this patch. You’ll know you are affected by this bug by starting a run after manually turning Fixed Growths mode off then choosing to deploy Hetja. You should see that your Bonewalker Hetja has turned into a Cavalier. This bug can be easily fixed within game by changing your class with Cagnas to anything other than Bonewalker, then back to Bonewalker. You will then have to manually choose whether or not you want Fixed Growths on before your next run, for you it is on by default. If you don’t have the Cagnas statue yet, and have not made enough progress to be upset about starting a new save file, you can do that. If you don’t have the Cagnas statue yet, and do not want to start a new save file/do not want to progress far enough to unlock Cagnas, feel free to send me a direct message with your .sav and I will manually fix the bug myself. Hetjas that are any other class are not affected by this bug, and changing class to Bonewalker moving forward should not cause any issues.

• Thank you to those who have been using the new character submission form to suggest new playable characters. There have been some great suggestions with interesting new ways the game could be played. I would like to get at least 1 new character included before the eventual 0.7.10, and am considering running a community poll with some of the submitted suggestions to determine who makes it in.

7 Likes

Sorry if this been asked, but why we can’t raise cons?
also if possible how about make some node event that make us able raise cons but limited to 20.
or make new item unobtainable item (like equipment) for green NPC that raise cons by 50 or max amout (without causing bug or glitch).

also will there a plan to expand more Magic Weapon (like having brave effect, critical, Reaver Magic, basically have same effect as melee but it’s magic version).

nice inventory. it is a shame he is unable to put it to good use.

i
FERL-25

Mt… Negative 1?
FERL-26

Alondite has recover noises?
FERL-27

I think that there was an issue at some point where I was having trouble resetting con at the end of a run.

If I can get con to reset properly at the end of runs, I will add a way to grow it using node events.

I’m always looking for cool new weapons to include. I’ll add these to the list of potential includes.

Looks like I forgot to update Zephiel’s weapon rank bases after adding the new animations. I’ll either put out a tiny update later today, or it’ll be fixed in 0.7.06.

Seems like the fancy promotion font doesn’t know what to do about narrow font text. I’ll have this fixed in 0.7.06.

This should just be a visual bug. I did change a few things about Eclipse, but its Mt is the same as vanilla (255).

I think that particular magic animation called a sound effect that was not present in vanilla fe8, so I just went with whatever sounded similar/worked.

Maybe you could add the Wolf Beil? Here’s a link to the wiki page. Always thought it was the best rapier type weapon.

1 Like

Screenshot 2023-06-30 230530
So I went with Female Shaman and in the unit select screen before the labyrinth the stats show right but once i start they change to this. Male shaman has the right stats.

2 Likes

At a certain point, Shaman (M/F) was replaced with Shaman (Skeleton). Looks like I forgot to replace a Shaman (F) with Shaman (Skeleton) somewhere during the end of run reset event. Your Hetja’s stats are defaulting to the first class in the reset event because Shaman (F) is no longer a valid option.

I just put out a fix, please update using the newest patch in the OP. Your Hetja should turn into a Shaman (Skeleton) with the proper stats at the beginning of the next run. If there are any issues, please let me know. Give it a sec, dropbox is syncing 9000 files first -_-

1 Like

Hi, Regarding Body Ring/Cons, I just noticed something, when we use Body Ring it counts as Bonus not directly add to Cons it self.
so it possible to turn Body Ring directly increase Cons Stat so it can Reset.
or Just turn Body Ring into Equipment that just needed in Inventory to add Cons (work like Shields but it add stats, might as well add more equipment for bosses to make them stronger)

And can you add More Difficulty and stronger enemy,
Since we have access to Juna’s Fruit, Chruch, Village and Some Stat item the game become somewhat easier (especially if you got Rightful Arch + Aether + Vantage (D) + Double Lion)

1 Like

Sorry for lack of updates this past week and change. I’ve been busy with IRL stuff + working on FEE3 video. Expect a further lack of updates until some time in August.

In 0.7.06, I am adding a new way to gain Con. Training via Village events + Learning via Church events now have a 1/10 chance to raise Con (up to +15) in addition to its normal stat boosting. These events boost Con in a similar way to Body Rings, where it is considered Bonus Con.

I do like the idea of stat boosting equipment. I’m running dangerously low on item slots, but I think it could be worth adding in a couple.

I would like to add a third difficulty to Labyrinth 1, something that assumes you’re bringing your most broken builds and strategies. I’ve been keeping an eye on what people have been saying is busted and will be balancing/testing around that. I’d like to get some more data before I’d be comfortable actually implementing it, but it is something I definitely want to do. Maybe I can try getting it out between hub zone expansion and Labyrinth 2.

1 Like