[FE8] FE:RL - Hetja's Quest v0.7.07 (Roguelike) (ON HIATUS)

Something’s off with the second farming plot. You pick one to plant, but the game plants the one after it on the list instead.

1 Like

For Additional Class/3rd Promotion i think you should check FEH and ask some Veteran, since my Knowledge only stop at DS and FEH.

Also is it just me or Rightful Arch + Lethality + Great Shield is literally break game, Especially if you Blessed by RNG Goddess or manage to farm the Money for it.
since the skill kept activing and you kept one shot everyone except few bosses with Ability to Negate Skill. (so

and can you add your game at Fan Directiory made by kirb (since i usually only check there, got this hack only by coincidence)

1 Like

I definitely should have caught this, oops. This will be fixed in 0.7.04.

There are definitely certain builds that completely break the game. A lot of Rightful Arch + %Chance skill combos. If you find any others, feel free to share!

Sure!

1 Like

Also, another thing: Dorothy (or any unit with Bow Range +1) with a Longbow can shoot enemy nodes while waiting outside the map as an NPC.

3 Likes

I think I figured out a solution to this. Will do some more testing. Should have this fixed in 0.7.04.

2 Likes

Can you add Monster House Trap Event Node, so when we enter, we got to fight lof of enemies (with annoying skill set) 4~10+ (further chapter more enemies), of course clearing it deserves a reward too rare weapon, Elixir or even lof of money.
there is also monster hous ite filled with weak enemy for us to grind too.

Also the Reward for Clearing Dungeon Normal and Hard is same, can you give us more reward for clearing Harder Level, add more Difficulty if possible too (the enemies also will have more skill instead of 1)

Edit:
I found a bug that will break game, basically when fought fomortiis and use weapon has No animation the game will break and force close the Emulator (I use Nephenee Halberdier with Sword).

1 Like

I’ll try to put out 0.7.04 either tonight or tomorrow. Just got a couple more bugs to squash first.

I’m not sure if something like this would work well in this current version of the hack, but I will do some testing.

I think that some of the things that allow Monster Houses to work in games like PMD that differ from FE:RL are,

• You can venture into dungeons at any level
  • Stat up items are permanent
  • Gaining 2~3 levels (Max LV 100) from clearing a Monster House doesn’t trivialize a run the same way gaining 2~3 levels (Max LV 20/20) would
  • PMD max party size is 3 + 4 recruited, FE:RL max party size is 1 + 1 recruited at a time
  • There are a handful of ways you can escape/avoid it if you don’t want to interact with it (like having the game sense to recognize them on the map, Warp Seeds/Sacred Seeds/Escape Orb, room wide
    debuff items like Slumber Orb/Petrify Orb/Brushoff Orb/Foe-Stun Orb)
  • Access to Aoe moves that can hit everyone in the room

I like the idea of including trap events in general, and I’ll try to think of ways to include them. I like the idea of events that are more on the “unfair” side having a better than average reward. Might be worth looking into an item to skip Nodes, there’s already something like that with being able to reroll chapters.

A weak Monster House to grind would be difficult to include. Gaining possibly multiple chapters worth of exp in one event, let alone one made to be easily cleared, could trivialize a run. Maybe it could be for weapon exp grinding instead? I’ll think of ways to include this.

I definitely want to add more differences between Normal and Hard Mode. Increasing the gold you get for clearing a run could be a good start. Maybe Hard Mode exclusive Mini Boss skill sets or generic enemies with a skill or two. I’ll think about it. Open to suggestions.

I think this is caused by the Demon King class forcing animations on. Working on a fix now, will be fixed for 0.7.04.

2 Likes

How about add more ability to Grimoire, bypass/unlock Mountain with limited use per chapter.
or some battle item that will do Various things Debuff, Damage or Buff player with cost not gaining any EXP in that Battle (not Work on Boss) if it’s not hard to code.

For weapon exp? so far I don’t have any problem raising weapon exp especially when you got the Discipline or high luck (use devil weapon) (i never test using both, it might stack and raise even faster).
how about some rare Weapon like Spear (Javelin Upgrade) or some weapon with Extra Range or just Weapon with Skill in it (only limited use 20/20).

how about Miracle + Vantage + All Counter (Counter Both Melee and Magic)
For Bosses and Mini Boss how about add Rightful King or God + Corrosive (have them break our Weapon) and skill that bypass Nihility.
also
Poison Strike or Something (sorry for being unclear about this one, somehow when i use Nephenee i got killed by poison, my Skill set is Wrath + Impale + Rightful Arch + Great Shield + Nihility + Vantage (D).
I have 1HP and the enemy seems either use Sureshot with Poison Bow or Just Poison Strike).

1 Like

Was never able to replicate the bug. Also, is the lack of effectiveness on the dark mage knight intended?
FERL-13

1 Like

Check Renning’s skills, he probably has Nullify

1 Like

The same thing happens with Ray, and he doesn’t have nullify.
FERL-15
FERL-16

1 Like

Looks like I forgot to update the effectiveness table for a few weapons. This will be fixed in 0.7.04. Update release may be pushed until Monday, gonna take this weekend to try to fix the Demon King softlock.

2 Likes

YOOOOOOOOOOO FISHING MINIGAME THATS HYPE. no game is ever good unless it has a fishing minigame. Half Life 2? garbage. The Last of Us? garbage. People love Red Dead Redemption 2 solely because it has a fishing minigame, no other reason

4 Likes

I gave this a shot and really enjoyed it! I do have a few things i wanted to mention (sorry about no images, am writing on mobile)

What I Loved

I adored the earlygame, where learning which matchups are good and which ones are bad is a huge deal. Vanilla statlines also definitely reward game knowledge, which is cool, but this does come with vanilla statlines, which are something I am a lot more mixed on.

The gameplay loop is great, and what little story existed was actually very fun! I love the character creator and ruined town from both a visual and gameplay PoV, and the minimaps that housed each skirmish were super appealing, and once again rewarded game knowledge in a way that felt very roguelike to me (for example, you always fight a Pegasus Knight on the boat map.)

The Mixed

I thought the game’s dedication to vanilla statlines was odd, and messed with a ton of balancing. Infantry Swords, Cav, and Wyvern are by far the best statted classes, while Archer, all Mages, and Bonewalker feel very underpowered. I chose an Archer MC for the hell of it and really loved the earlygame, where I would win vs Mages/Pegs but had to avoid Mercs and Cavs, but the midgame spike seems like it would completely destroy this dynamic (tbh, i think multiple enemies per skirmish is really unfriendly to archer and mage classes in general.) I didn’t talk about Revenant here because it’s very obviously designed to be something like The Lost from Binding of Isaac.

I would personally consider some of the following:

• Buff Archer Str/Skl to make them more powerful and consistent on player phase.
  • Buff Bonewalker’s Str/Def to make it play sort of like Master of Arms, having to leverage its multitude of weapons for advantage. It feels like foot cav atm
  • Buff Mage bases significantly while keeping low defense. Also, F!Mage and F!Shaman have terrible Con and can’t use basic weapons without severe penalties. Sophia in particular is imo borderline unplayable.

Vanilla weapon stats are generally a lot more fine cause they’re largely okay, barring Luna which is very expensive and bad. I would recommend adding more cool weapons though. Swords are very fun to use thanks to Rapier and Katti, and Lances get the extremely strong Reginleif, but Bows and Magic don’t get things like this for some reason. (RD Lughnasadh’s +5 Spd or Fates Fujin Yumi’s terrain ignoring both sound very fun, but even just buffing Longbow or adding Shining Bow could do wonders.)

Devil weapons do exist, and I think they’re interesting, but I would personally buff their hit. Devil weapons are already innately unreliable due to their backfire mechanic, so low hit on top of that is a hard sell. They’re expensive, low-rank RNG outs, but they’re so unreliable that you will basically never get your money’s worth on them. It’s suggest at least +20 hit universally on devils, and you could also give them fewer uses. Fewer uses would mean they’d cost less without being more cost-effective.

Of course, I’m a big fan of the tools that are already there, and making the Lord weapons E rank in particular is a massive meta-shaking change that can give you very powerful tools early, which I enjoy. I just wish there was more of this good thing.

A Few Minor Nitpicks

I think the midboss is overtuned as is. Makalov was the character I first won with, and he seemed to be one of the strongest units in the game for a large number of reasons. A good Makalov with Mani Katti still probably has a sub-50% chance of getting past Orson, and I don’t know if Valter is much better (If anything, he’s probably worse.) This might just be an Orson issue, and I suppose it does kinda feel like a roguelike in that regard where there are good and bad runs, but I think it feels kinda bad.

I enjoy the first half of each run a lot more than the second. The larger enemy formations being forced into the same small maps leads to enemy phase builds vastly outclassing anything that frailer classes can do, which again backs up the sheer strength of classes like Paladin and Hero, and the weakness of classes like Sniper and Druid (maybe nostanking is viable later? The earlygame is brutal for Shaman and most of the vanilla dark tomes have awful statlines, so probably not.)

One fix for the enemy density issue could be to have a second labryinth map with new layouts that gets used after the midboss, but that sounds like a ton of extra work on your end, so it’s completely understandable.

I was also a bit sad that there wasnt any story tidbit after clearing the labyrinth. Games like Necrodancer and BoI elaborate on the story each time you make a new major leap in progress, and I think this would help make each successive run feel like progress. Of course, you seem to already be handling this.

I didn’t have anywhere else to put this but Nephenee’s stats might be autoleveling weirdly because i fought her in the first half and she had like double digit everything and completely slaughtered me it was fucked up lol

One Last Thing

I think maybe adding one more option to character creation would be fantastic. The first thing that comes to mind for me is probably a Boon/Bane system like in the 3DS games, but picking a personal skill could also work! Something to make the protag feel like something you get to “build”

I’d like to again mention that I largely adored the concept and execution in this hack, and I think it has a ton of potential too. Like, I was up at 2:30 AM on a good attempt, it’s a great time. Definitely worth playing for the novelty alone, and the addictive gameplay loop can drag you in with relative ease.

2 Likes

re: above, devil weapons are extremely strong once you have enough Luck and HP that you can afford to get hit by devil reversal
unfortunately they’re at their strongest utility-wise early game to get ahead a few levels :pensive: they help grind w. rank though which carries over

Additionally I found that Hetja was the weakest unit by far unless you went Bonewalker because Atromitos is good and you can buy a hand axe or javelin at the starting shop depending on the nodes that map

Honestly the classes don’t have that much to define them aside from weapon ranks since there’s just the one class skill on promotion, Hetja’s growths are always going to be 50% across the board, and the class bases are frankly pathetic. (It’d be nice if more classes than Bonewalker had a unique starting loadout to incentivize playing as Hetja even after you recruit somone) It’s made up for by Hetja’s base Luck being really good, which makes the “be a bonewalker and blitz to a shop to buy a devil weapon” strategy pretty viable imo. Makalov also has pretty good base Luck, and Micaiah’s base and growth are both exceptional. While she can’t use phys weapons, she can use the whole magic triangle, so there’s almost as much chance of finding a shop with a devil weapon.
(Micaiah is the best unit right now imo as long as you prepare well before your first multi-enemy node)

2 Likes

0.7.04 should come out tonight at some point, as long as no big bugs are found in the meantime.

As a baseline for both characters and classes in these silly FE adjacent hacks, I try to include them as close to vanilla as possible. Sometimes that works and the things that make a character fun really get to stand out, and other times it doesn’t ie Mages.

I like this change, and will do some testing.

I feel like Archers wind up being the real hard mode. Good positioning is basically mandatory. One wrong step and you’re surrounded, forced to watch your character slowly die.

There are very few things in the game right now that help Archers on player phase, outside of maybe positioning to force ranged attacks or getting lucky with Skill Scrolls.

Maybe this is one of the cases where a 1-2 range bow would actually make sense. I know there’s been a lot of discussion about 1-2 range bows in FE and how it goes against how classes like the Archer are supposed to play, but this could be the right scenario for Archers having access to something at close range. Could be expensive or low durability. Maybe lock behind D rank so they’re not immediately accessible. I’ll give it some thought.

In the long term, you do have the option to make it to Chapter 11 in a run, use the Master Seal to promote to a class with close range weapon options, and then level that weapon type to D rank to keep that weapon type in future runs.

If you’ve got any other suggestions for Archer changes, let me know! If your username is anything to go off of, I think you’re probably able to find the fun in Archers better than I can.

This is an interesting suggestion. Bonewalker/Wight right now just play like Bonewalker/Wight with access to more weapons. I like the idea of leaning into the weapon access and balancing around a more Master of Arms type class. I will definitely look into this.

I agree that Mages are in a tough spot right now.

M!Mage’s 6 Base Con to F!Mage’s 3 and M!Shaman’s 7 Base Con to F!Shaman’s 3 is huge. I think it’d be safe to put them more in line with each other.

Sophia is close to vanilla, with an extra +3 to Base Mag. Outside of the F!Shaman Con buff, what would be the most helpful to her? Sophia is the only recruitable character that gets access to summoning via promo to Summoner, gaining basically an unlimited amount of free controllable meat bone shields. I suppose the trouble is just even making it far enough to get access to it.

Noted.

I’m always looking for new cool weapon inclusions. Bows and magic in particular have gotten close to no love in this department. I’ll add Lughnasadh, Fujin Yumi, and Shining Bow to the list of possible new items. Hopefully I can get them out next patch.

I think +Hit for -Uses could be a good change. I’ll do some testing.

I can definitely see where you’re coming from here. The Chapter 10 Mid Boss fight can be a wall, and each class is equipped differently to climb it (some more generously equipped than others).

I’ve tried to make it so each Mid Boss has an effective weakness like Orson to cav slaying weapons or Valter to dragon slaying weapons, with some overlaps between the different bosses. So that way at the very least, an investment into effective weapons puts the odds in your favor. Archers in particular have advantage on the flying bosses, but currently lack access to any other effective weapons (besides the monster slayer bow). Magic users just have the legendary weapons for effective coverage. Definitely something I want to expand on.

Getting the transition from unpromoted to promoted just right has been difficult. One of the things that I have been considering is resetting the enemy party size build up for Mini Bosses after Chapter 10. I think going from 5 unpromoted enemies to 5 promoted enemies is too big of a difficulty jump. Starting it over at 1 enemy Mini Boss + 1 enemy party member starting Chapter 11 and building up the party size again could help with this.

I am currently working on a second labyrinth map that will have substantially more layouts and will play slightly differently. Current labyrinth is at the Tile Change limit. Out of the 127 Tile Changes, only 15 are actually used for battle events. Second labyrinth map handles event selection differently, opening up all 127 available Tile Changes for use. I’m hoping to make this my main focus once I get the hub area update out.

In the future, I want to add more story. Right now my focus is on getting the vanilla assets balanced and getting the hub area update out for FEE3. I do have lots of story planned already answering some of the questions people might have, just want to make sure the foundation is strong first.

I’ll look into this there might be something wrong with Nephenee’s events.

I’ll look into Banes/Boons. I’m unsure if there are ways I can provide to edit growths within game outside of certain skills. If I can find a way to maybe add growths per class choice then I could add that.

Changable personal skills might be more difficult. I don’t know if there’s a way to change personal skills in game. I’ll look into it.

If you have any other suggestions for things I could add to character customization, let me know!

2 Likes

hey if you planned to add more bow can you add Anti Bow too (Armor Killer, Cav. Killer, Dragon Killer).
if possible can you add Lynn and Ike in this game.

for boon/bane you can check legends of Avenir since that game has Boon/Bane system at their character creation.

1 Like

0.7.04 (6/20/2023)

Hub Area Specific Changes

• Edited layout slightly to accomidate future events

• Fixed bug with Garden (LV 2) where seed selection for the second plot was giving incorrect results

• Fixed bug where buying a Wary Fighter Skill Scroll incorrectly gave Trample instead

Labyrinth Specific Changes

• Temporarily completely disabled Demon King battle animations

• Changed Endless Mode Valter’s map

• Updated Boss Narcian’s inventory

• Updated Endless Mode Narcian’s inventory

• Fixed instances of deployed unit being able to attack Node events

• Fixed bug where Demon King could walk out of the Battle Window

• Fixed bug where generic enemy Mercenary events on Node 7 were not being upgraded to Heroes after using the Master Seal on Normal Mode

• Fixed Mini Boss Ray event on Node 1 spawning as the wrong class

Character Specific Changes
Updated instances of enemy bosses having duplicate skills. Looking into additional instances.

• Changed enemy Sophia’s LV 13 Skill
    Anathema → Opportunist

• Changed enemy Lilina’s LV 5 Skill
    Adept → Celerity

Item Specific Changes
Updated effectiveness on some weapons that I missed last update. Looking into adding more weapons, specifically effective bows/tomes.

• Devil Sword
    Cost reduced (1500 → 1400)

• Rapier
    Updated effectiveness table to include Dark Knight

• Mani Katti

• Shadowkiller
    Updated effectiveness table to include Red Dragon + White Dragon

• Sieglinde

• Devil Scythe
    Cost increased (1100 → 1260)

• Reginleif

• Bright Lance

• Siegmund

• Fiendcleaver

• Devil Bow
    Cost reduced (1400 → 1100)

• Beacon Bow

• Nidhogg

• Foreblaze

• Excalibur

• Thani

• Ivaldi

• Dragonstone

• Stone Shard
    Cost reduced (1400 → 1000)

• Dragon Breath (Red)
    Removed unintended stat boosts

• Dragon Breath (White)
    Removed unintended stat boosts

Misc Notes

It seems like there is a bug where you are able to bypass the level cap, being able to level indefinitely.

Fire_Emblem_-_Hetjas_Quest_1687106116115
(via Slade in the discord server)

The cause seems to be either with Blossom, Paragon, or a combination of the two, plus any number of additional factors.

I was lucky enough to snag an affected save file and will be doing a bunch of testing to see what the ramifications of this are on the integrity of the code. It seems to only be bypassing the level cap, not any individual stat cap. Suspending + reloading seems to reset the level back to under the level cap. More testing needs to be done.

Reminder that if you are looking to safely continue leveling after 20/20, you can have your deployed unit eat Juna Fruit.

6 Likes

FERL-18
The mogall rider sprite in the promotion screen does… this?

1 Like

I think this is happening because Mogall Rider doesn’t have animations for all the weapons it can use. It should be okay to just promote into it, but if the game crashes, you can promote while wielding a bow or weaponless.

I’ll have this fixed for 0.7.05.

1 Like