[FE8] ETERNAL WINTER (18 Chapters, Act 1 [Complete] Act 2 [Gameplay Complete])

This game looks amazing!

This looks amazing :exploding_head:
And the polish is super inspiring!

Will be checking it out!

Tested this one, really super great hack with beautiful art and extremely fun gameplay concepts!

7 Likes

Warning, I am a novice fe person. Please take what I say with grain of salt.

Super fun hack. I really enjoyed it.

Maps are very fun. Reminds me of fe 11 - 12 (not just because music).
Probably because game is player phased focused, and avoid sucks for everyone (good).

Unit balance is a little iffy. Mounted units got canto+, high movement AND reposition, while footies got shove or swap. Rina, Doppio, and other footies feel mid, while Affogato, Breve, Hildr and Brudget are high movement, onerouding maniacs. But I don’t care about unit balance really so: ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Affogato is very fun to use. Having the ability able to move 7 tiles per turn, extra moves when thieving, and 2 range blasting makes him feel very cool. I like being able to do a bazillion things with him in a single turn. Poggers.

Why is iris so mid? She can only sometimes double, and when she can, she does 11 damage twice. Sequin also has a hard time onerounding, but he has thief utility and can boost hit, avoid, and damage. Iris does not have thief utility or ally boosting capabilities, but she does have the self healing via light tome. I think the self healing is not enough of a boon to make her on par with sequin and the others because she has 22 hp and 2 def (lol), but idk.

Yory is super cool. Hawser is really nice. It really helps when dealing with reinforcements because I don’t know where reinforcements come from. So having a unit with a small unlimited use rescue is REALLY REALLY NICE.

Affogato and Gorlois have no affinity. Bug or because they are experiment artificial people?

Now for the important part. Thank you for making Affogato hot. We need more male FE leads that are attractive to me. I really appreciate his portrait.

Hildr is now my waifu, please add more dialogue with her.
Thank you.

edit: I forgot to add, thank you for marking the enemies with stealables and drops. Really makes the game player friendly, every hack should do this.

4 Likes

thanks for playing, i’m really glad you enjoyed it! i got really inspired by FE12 after i played it which is why i wanted to add a ton of stuff from it here. and no worries, i am also a very novice fe guy.

i agree unit balance is pretty iffy rn. i was thinking of doing 6 move mounts but that’ll probably mess with a ton of flow stuff so i’m still deciding what to do with it. currently messing with a few ‘experimental’ skill changes to lessen mount/move power too (a few personal skill edits and potentially fixed canto for mounts, maybe even nerfing sidestep to 1 space?).

iris is really sus because she was actually added like a day before release because i wanted to add another main mage (and also round out the support room lol), so i have no idea what her gameplay is like- i’ll buff her bulk a bit and her spd and see how that goes next patch.

affogato/gorlois not having a real affinity is intentional. i think i was planning on some spooky lore stuff at some point (but i’m too lazy to write it so uhhhh).

again, thanks for playing, really appreciate the feedback. :+1:

5 Likes

So I finally finished playing this demo, and I must say, as a comeback to playing FE hacks, I’m glad to have stubbed upon such a banger without even realizing it. Just about everything in the hack was quite impressive, from the sheer amount of new features (and I want to give a special shout out here to all the new skills, not only are they not rng but they’re for the most part also original/can definitely give their respective units their own identity), to the stat deflation mostly being done right (still having enough damage/doubling thresholds to allow for meaningful progress in a variety of ways) to the absurdly massive selection of tracks in the sound room (most of which has sadly not been used in-game yet but I have faith they will eventually), to the attempt to make magic stand out without just making it effective on multiple things, to even the sheer amount of different units (20 units by the end of act 1 already? that’s crazy).
Having galeforce but for stealing on an archer lord with thief properties is definitely one way to make the lord fun and enticing to use/deploy in a map, and keep up with the rest of the mounted competition. And most other units too felt pretty solid, though with so many units available it can eventually become hard to decide who to stick with. Although I’m also echoing the above statement that the latest few new units just feel kinda off for…reasons. Possibly redudancy? Oh well who knows, and honestly they can probs stick around and be good with enogh dedication anyway, after all most units are fairly alright; even the galeforce flier is balanced out by a lack of speed/lower move than other fliers. Though the wyvern rider with essentially double lion does seem quite strong…Also the armor knights having only 4 move is certainly a…decision, given how clunky that normally makes them feel. But your starting lance knight felt like he had just enough reach for at least the first few maps. Also while I haven’t had the chance to test it out much yet, the starting sword cav is probaly among the better candidates for the sol skill scroll obtained midway through just because his damage can reach funky levels.
If there’s one thing I got upset about, is me apparently missing out on ch1-1x. I was actually impressed to see everything listed in the thread’s op be also listed with just as many details ingame, but when I got to the chapter list part…I did feel a bit let down, especially since I have no idea what conditions were even needed to unlock it, but I decided to push through anyway (yes I only checked the guide midway through the playthrough, oh well it is what it is).
All in all though one can definitely tell there’s a lot of passion, love and attention to detail behind basically everything in the hack and I can’t wait to see more of it! Cheers.

4 Likes

hi guys new patch for v0.3
patch v0.3 just changes stuff in part 1. but it’s summer break so i can finally start actually making new part 2 chapters now :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

0.3 Changelog: (Note: saves aren’t compatible due to me shuffling a ton of stuff around (probably))

GENERAL CHANGES

TLDR: Misc stat/weapon changes, map anims, QoL updates, 1-1x added, Armors have Repo/Cavs have Swap, Internal stuff (report bugs pls)
  • [MISC] Internal changes (Ex: cleaned out the calc loops so the game should feel slightly faster?)

• [MISC] Events: text/backgrounds/eventing updated

• [MISC] “why don’t you just name the plot important event the eternal winter” ok yeah that makes sense sure i will

• [MISC] Can’t steal from blue units anymore (lol)

• [MISC] Can now switch weapons during battle forecast

• [MISC] Added 4 more songs to the sound room (woohoo 100!!)

• [UI] Added Atk/AS/Prt/Rsl/Hit/Crit/Avoid/Crit Avoid formulas in stat R texts

• [UI] Icons/mugs/Talk/Support menu text colors changed

• [UI] Added icons for brigand/thief AI

• [UI] Parsons have a proper map sprite thanks to epicer, armors have a stat screen icon thanks to Scraiza

• [UI] Added fancy map anims

• [UI] Fixed ‘Affin’ on the weapon selection forecast display

• [UI] MMB now shows personal skill rather than affinity

• [UI] Messed around a bit with MSS (4 skills in row 1, tell me if this breaks anything, especially with R text)

• [WEAPONS] Heavy weapon variant Wt increased

• [WEAPONS] Dagger scaling % 30/40/50 → 25/50/75

• [WEAPONS] Sidestep Dirk Mt 6 → 5, Canto 1 → Canto 2

• [WEAPONS] Debuffing staves penalties -3 → -5

• [WEAPONS] Added shields with movement skills that target foes upon attacking

• [CLASSES] Ranged mount movement reduced by 1 (unpromoted: 7 → 6. promoted: 8 → 7)

• [CLASSES] Thief/Rogue movement reduced by 1 (now the same as other infantries)

• [CLASSES] Stealing/Picking are now free actions (universally grants another action (at 0 move))

• [CLASSES] Armors now have Reposition; Cavalry have Swap

• [CLASSES] Enemy mounts no longer have Canto (generic enemies shouldn’t have displayed skills; let me know if any do, or if any player mounts don’t have Canto as a result of me shuffling stuff)

• [CLASSES] Enemy Res growths reduced/standardized

• [CHAPTERS] Enemy placement/weaponry/other stuff tweaked

• [CHAPTERS] Fog rolls in after prep screen

• [CHAPTERS] Added a Gaiden chapter (1-1x) with no writing yet, accessible by clearing the Prologue/Ch1 within 7 turns each (or visiting certain sussy looking tiles with affo on each chapter as an alternate if you can’t i guess)

…and a ton of other random stuff i didn’t bother keeping track of lol

UNIT CHANGES

TLDR: HP lowered, Mobility nerfed, Infantry/Armor buffed, Flier adjustments

[Affogato]

• -2 HP, -1 Res

• Sidestep: Canto fixed 2 Move → 2 if didn’t move; 1 otherwise. Move is now also capped after infinite free actions (green menu text, prevented from proccing if you move all spaces then use an infinite free action (such as Trade/Supply/Give/Take) then backed out since I kept abusing it lol)

• Added Flow: Each round of combat/item stolen/lock picked grants a stack. At 4 stacks, initiating deals bonus damage per hit scaling with Res, doubles Sidestep’s Canto effect, and resets the stacks

[Breve]

• -2 HP, +1 Str, -1 Spd/Def

[Hildr]

• -2 HP

[Ansgar]

• -2 HP

• Warden: HP conditional → Ally conditional, -7 damage taken → -4 physical damage taken, with Brave effect if foe initiates

[Ulrich]

• -2 HP, -1 Str, +2 Spd
  • Defeatist: Fixed -5 Atk → halved Str/Spd

[Sequin]

• -1 HP
  • Empower → Wild Card: Now also grants Eth/Spd +4 after stealing/picking

[Nora]

• Encourage: Now also grants physical allies +4 magic damage on-hit

[Pandoro]

• -1 Skill, +2 Res
  • Lunatic: Now also neutralizes WTD

[Rina]

• Duelist: Now also enables Canto 1 on kill

[Mocha]

• -1 Str, -5% HP/Def/Res growth
  • Alacrity: +40 Avoid → (dodge all attacks)

[Stroganoff]

• +1 Str, -2 HP
  • Sanctuary: WTD penalty neutralization → WTD penalty reversal, with in-combat penalty reversal

[Doppio]

• Grounding: Crit +15 → bonus magic damage scaling with 200% of foe’s Spd

[Espresso]

• +3 Spd, -2 HP, -5% HP growth, -1 Con
  • Galeforce: Now also halves Move for 1 turn upon refreshing

[Floris]

• Guardian → Motivate: Staves mark allies. After combat, heals all marked allies HP scaling with unit’s Def

[Yory]

• +25% HP growth, +45% Luck growth

• Big Iron: Mt increased to 12, no longer fixed damage. Now also knocks back 1 space

• Sentries now have thief vision

• Pendulum now also halves enemy Def/Res

[Brudet]

• +2 HP, +5% HP growth
  • Dive-Bomb: Brave effect → Atk/AS +2, with Desperation effect at 1 range

[Noel]

• Slipstream: Now also lowers unit’s enemy attack priority, and grants Brave effect at halved Str

[Iris]

• +1 Spd/Def/Luck, +2 Res
  • Miracle: Now also neutralizes Mt of enemy tier I magic

[Lennard]

• -1 HP, +1 Str

• Lionheart: Now also boosts Crit

[Therese]

• -1 HP
  • Stand United: Now also grants Atk +3 when within 2 spaces of an allied Armor

And while not playable yet, but here’s a couple screenshots of Part 2

amogus

sus

11 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

how can i skip the gameplay for the writing when there is no writing!!!

1 Like

hi guys new patch for v0.4
this just focuses on polish and also me adding random things i wanted to add yayyyy (im mainly working on part 2 now) :+1::+1::+1:

0.4 Changelog: (Tell me if there’s any bugs that arise from me messing up updates; some of these changes were in stealth hotfixes already)

GENERAL CHANGES

TLDR: polish
  • Added Status Expansion by Sme, so custom statuses have actual descriptions now :partying:
  • Completely new menus/UI by the epic Pikmin1211, new map sprite palettes so they’re darker (since most of the maps are white)
  • Added the SkillSys optimizations by Contro
  • Thieves can steal with a full inventory (thanks Vesly!)
  • Some weapons have 2 line descs now (thanks Vesly!!)
  • Reverted the flying stealable enemy Spd nerf
  • Fixed a lot of skills that used gBattleData with the new SkillTester (please tell me if any skills don’t work/crash the game/freeze the game/somehow have 254 range again thanks)
  • Terrain window now also shows Res (thanks Contro!)
  • All statuses now last for either 1 turn (Sleep, Berserk, Bard songs, literallyanythingthatisnotmotivate) or forever (Motivate mark)
  • Tons of random stuff I didn’t bother documenting? (sorry)

UNIT CHANGES

TLDR: idk i just wanted to give the lord more utility

[Affogato]

• +2 Spd, -25% Str growth, +15% Res growth, +5% Def/Luck growth
  • Snaring Rifle: Now also sets foe’s Move to 0 for 1 turn on initiation and drags foe to unit (like Blitzcrank hook)

[Sequin]

• -1 Spd

[Nora]

• Encourage: Now properly grants Res buff to physical allies (bug fix)

[IDK]

• There’s probably more changes but I didn’t update this doc for like 2 weeks so I forgot :skull:

im hoping this is the last update for a while because i don’t want to clog the thread with chapter-less updates

part 2 still in progress (5/7 maps done so far woohoo!), here take some progress shots
SkillsTest.emulator-8 SkillsTest.emulator-6

SkillsTest.emulator-7 SkillsTest.emulator-9

17 Likes

so 7 chapters out of how many will this be?

it’s planned to be 21ish chapters depending on my motivation

3 Likes

Can you add fixed growth?

maybe when i finish, but not now, sorry

2 Likes

I gotta know…following with the naming themes…is that Wilken fellow a reference to Wilken’s coffee? The commercials of which are famous for being the origin of Kermit the Frog.

1 Like

nah i think i saw the name on a sign somewhere and was like ‘yeah i needed a name for my mage’ idk

4 Likes

hi guys im in fee3 :skier::skier:

image lol

34 Likes

Been playing it again, and god, its sooooo gooooood, i love it
So original
I love the references
And i really liked the edgar allan poe one

Is this complete or does it’s still going ? Just out of curiosity

if you would look at the title it says “act 1 complete” that implies that there are other acts that are incomplete.

my bad