[FE8] ETERNAL WINTER (18 Chapters, Act 1 [Complete] Act 2 [Gameplay Complete])

When you get Sol and try to read the description the game crashes
At least from the “send a item to the convoy screen”

Edit:
It also happens in the supply room
The description is bugged in general

Edit:
Once you learn it the description doesnt crashes the game
It may be the learning item

Another bug:
I got a 15 uses pure water

Visual bug:
Support room, not the room itself, but when you select the characters it looks weird

Weird thing, not sure if a bug:
You can steal Gorlois elixir

I noticed that talk events dont have the talk on the unit info screen

Noel’s stealing canto doesnt work, i mean, it is there, but you cant move or nothing after stealing or picking

2 Likes

Oh uh yeah, I played this like a month or two ago and never left any comments.

Uh, Devvy sus amogus league gaming?(Hack good)

3 Likes

happy last day of winter guys! it’s been a while, but im back after like 3 years lol. so i was gonna release an fee3 patch (or a patch in general) but then i had college applications and getting into college and college move in day and grinding college and then college midterms and then grinding college and then grinding college finals. i promise i’m still working on this project lol i briefly stopped hacking to focus on getting into college and now that i’m in college i can hack again yay!

Download HERE or in the new thread with more info.

NEW, EXPANDED PART 1:

Alright, so there’s a lot of stuff here since I pretty much overhauled the game. First, I completely reworked Part 1. Every unit has a new portrait and palette, and I changed every statline and personal skill. Some units also changed class. Every map also got reworked with new objectives and side objectives. I also added 3 new maps, 1-4*, 1-6, and an extra Gaiden chapter. No, saves from 3 years ago are not compatible (probably). Check out the new thread for more info!

AblazeMomentDialogueMoment

EW3Fiery

DefendMapSUSSY

PART 2 (NEW!!!):

Part 2 is now playable! There’s less testing than Part 1 and little-to-no dialogue, but it should be beatable from start to finish. Play as Chiffon and her Aeterian army on the other side of the continent as they start a rebellion in Aeteria!

Part2whatthesus

FunnySkillinfinite galeforce

FunnyMapAssassinateMap

TLDR CHANGELOG (note that some things were already implemented in hotfixes; tell me if anything breaks again, thanks)

GENERAL CHANGES

• OK so literally everything reworked lol

• Most portraits updated (added tons and tons and tons of mug edits/revamps that I made for my college portfolio lol)

• All descriptions (units, stat screens descs, classes, skills, etc.) updated

• Green unit drops now get sent to convoy (thanks Contro! No more kill-stealing!)

• Bosses now have a skill reducing damage, preventing stealing, and negating Root, Stun, Blind, Fear, Confusion, and Soulbreak; reduced defenses overall

• Shields now give Def/Res/Crit Avoid (with a different R-text display, woohoo thanks Contro!)

• Shields damage formula changed from Mt = Def → Atk = Def

• Dagger base Crit removed; replaced with Def piercing stat (thanks Contro!)

• Shields and Daggers reclassified into Sidearms, a universal weapon type

• Stealing with a full inventory now properly gives EXP

• Updated Anims off display to give more information

• Changed almost every map sprite/animation

• Changed a lot of map objectives/side objectives

• Made edits to every non-vanilla song (reverb, instrumentation, fixes, etc.)

• Added enemy phase/hurry up themes for every Part 1 map that’s a remix of the player phase theme

• Stealing/Picking is now a galeforce action rather than a free action (you can move and stuff)

• Added a ton of new statuses/fixed old ones

• Reworked affinities (and now they actually matter because there’s supports?!)

• Completely rewrote the story and reformatted it to fit in 3-line boxes, added Text Engine Rework

• Added some supports?! (that I all wrote on 2 15 hour plane rides on my phone notepad with no internet access so the quality may be just a little sussy)

• Redid all the shops so they reflect the story/changed the prep shop to differ per part (lore??!??!!)

• Refixed all the statuses???/ (tell me if anything breaks pls)

• Enemy status effects now properly wear off on player phase/reworked statuses so they all last 1 turn (except poison)

• Added the new SF soundfont cause I love it woahhh

• Added most of the custom UI (by Pik)

• Most icons (item, skills, etc.) updated

• Buffed status staff base Hit rate (also includes Pendulum and Stopwatch)

• Added a few new items like the Stopwatch: Use this on any unit on the map regardless of range to put them in Stasis for 1 turn, rendering them invulnerable and unable to act

• Tons and tons and tons of bug fixes (but there’s still some to be squashed probably???)

• I fixed so many crashes oh my god

• A TON of internal fixes/engine changes

• A lot more changes that I can’t list because it’s been 3 years since the last patch lol holy shit thats a lot of github commits

TO-DO LIST
  • Part 2 dialogue
  • Polish Part 2
  • Add 2-2x someday so you can get 50/50 units instead of 49/50
  • Add another map/extra dialogue to Part 1??? maybe even make it 10 chapters with an interlude???/ lol idk
  • Add EMS/bigger convoy without blowing everything up (this is really hard guys)
  • Adjust difficulty settings?
  • Promoted unit mugs???// maybe if i get really bored over summer break lol
  • fishing minigame
  • uhmmmmm
UNIT CHANGES

[Affogato]

• Sidestep: Pass effect moved; Canto 1 space if moved/Canto 2 spaces if didn’t move → always Canto 2 spaces unless in Stealth (yes this is a revert to 2018 we literally went full circle); Now also grants another action and Stealth after dashing

• Flow: (Removed)

• New personal skill: Guerrilla Warfare. Affogato can activate Stealth to become untargettable and pass through foes; broken when adjacent to an enemy. Attacks from Stealth break the effect to always hit and, if wielding the Kard, also always crit.

[Breve]

Charge: Now also grants brave effect if using all Movement

[Hildr]

Steadfast: Now also reduces damage taken from foe’s attacks by 5 + (unit’s Spd - foe’s Spd; min. 0) if using all Movement

[Ansgar]

• Warden: Prt +4 → Prt +5 and Move +2; brave effect/guaranteed follow-up and foe cannot → Removed; New Effect: Passively negates lethal attacks (once per combat) towards nearby low HP allies with an HP cost

[Ulrich]

• Defeatist: Now also has an active effect: Use to prevent attacks from killing at the cost of durability

[Nora]

• Encourage: Blessed status effect now also grants Res +5; now triggers on action end instead of combat end (still triggers regardless of phase)

[Sequin]

• Wild Card: Eth/Spd +4 → +5; Now also grants Canto after stealing/picking

[Levain]

• Ace in the Hole: Headshot bonus damage = % of foe’s missing HP 200% → 100%; no longer can crit; Crit converted to bonus damage on-hit at a rate of 4 Crit to 1 damage; Range +10 → Range +5

[Rina]

• Duelist: Canto 1 space → 2 spaces, now also restores 25% of max HP on-kill

[Stroganoff]

• Bull-Headed: Now also deals bonus damage = damage taken from foe’s last attack (resets at end of combat)

[Doppio]

• Grounding: Now also triggers if foe has any status effect; % of foe’s Spd as bonus magic damage on-hit 100% → 200%

[Eisner]

• Galeforce: Move -50% and can no longer Canto during the granted action

[Brudet]

• Dive-Bomb: Atk/Spd +2 → guaranteed follow-up and foe cannot

[Floris]

• Motivate: (Removed)
  • New personal skill: Evil Eye: If initiating, Fears target for 1 turn and ends the actions of nearest foes within 4 spaces of the target after combat

[Yory]

• Technician class: Now can use Ballistae

• Elbow Grease: Now also grants bonus stats when using Ballistae

• Sentry Turret: 5 range → 8 range, Infinite ammo → 5 rounds of ammo (10 shots, shown on minimug box), any adjacent allies can load/reload the turret; now can remotely demolish turret as a command instead of via talking; no longer gets +3 damage or increased Def piercing at Level 10; growth rates increased and scales linearly; can no longer critically strike, get doubled, or get crit (when ammo is filled); permanently Rooted and unable to gain Movement from any source

• Upgrade!!: Turret itself now gains the skill at Level 10 (matches Yory’s Level); doesn’t get Move +1: Attacks apply 25% of foe’s current HP as bonus physical damage on-hit (Yory’s Ballistae attacks also apply the bonus on-hit damage)

• Pendulum: 1-5 Range → 1 Range

• Big Iron: 10% current HP splash damage → 20% current HP true damage

[Noel]

• Reclassed to Fighter
  • Slipstream (Removed)
  • New personal skill: Overwhelm: Foe can’t counter and auto follow-up if Str > foe’s Str; also inflicts Avoid -20 on adjacent foes

[Lennard]

• Adrenaline: +1 Avoid per missing HP → +1 Avoid/Crit per missing HP; now increased to +3 below half HP

[Therese]

• Stand United: Now also grants Brave effect and also grants another action if initiating when adjacent to a physical Armored ally (base class, excludes Second Seals)

[Wegman]

• Adaptive Poise (Removed)
  • New personal skill: Wreyvian Heart: Lets nearby Wreyvian allies strike twice and deal bonus damage, and grants a global Atk/Prt bonus to all allies, increased to Wreyvians

[Klavdia]

• Daunt (Removed)
  • New personal skill: Dauntless Instinct: Kills grant 1 stack (max; 3). Each stack grants Atk and Hit. At max stacks, inflicts an aura on nearby foes causing them to take more damage and preventing them from dodging.

[Gerolf]

• Rising Axiom: Now also deals bonus damage/reduces damage taken based on turn count (on turns 1-3).

[Xavier]

• Full Tilt: All-Out Stance bonus Move x 2 → +2, total defensive stats converted to offenses 75% → 50%; no longer refreshes once per turn upon going All-Out; All-Out Stance bonus Canto distance removed; All-Out % damage conversion to true damage removed

[Ogrim]

• Steel Soul: Now also has an active effect: Use to swap spaces with target after combat at the cost of durability (excludes shield reposition effects)

[Iris]

• Hallowed Soul: Rsl +4 → Rsl +5, ally bonus magic damage on-hit 4 → (50% of ally’s Str; if ally uses magic, Str = 0); neutralizes Mt of foe’s tier I magic → Neutralizes Mt of all of foe’s magic
ITEM CHANGES
  • Heavy weapon Mt and Wt increased
  • Rifle Hit increased
  • Sidestep Dirk buffed to Canto 3 spaces
  • Stiletto now deals bonus execute damage
  • Misericorde now executes foes below 25% HP and ignores DR
  • Cinquedea now effective against cavs/armors
  • Backshield Rifle Lifeline passive 50% HP or less to trigger → Less than 25% to trigger
  • Arcane Rifle Res targetting —> bonus magical damage on-hit
  • Bloody Rifle Crit +20 —> Crit x 2
  • Sonic Rifle Crit +30 at max range → guaranteed crit
  • Blunt weapons added that push foes back
  • Prism Brand can now be used to grant +7 decaying Res and 7 bonus magical damage on-hit
  • Void Cleaver bonus Hit based on % missing HP 100% → 200%
  • Daybreak V % HP restored 30% —> 50%
  • Tier I-V Anima/Dark tomes can’t stack their bonuses if they’re the same tier
  • Magic weapons now have a Brave, Siege, and Reaver equivalent for each type
  • Magnum weapons Mt increased by 3
  • Siege tomes (not Ballistae) Range reduced from 3-10 to 3-7
  • Final Hour % max HP true damage → % current HP magical damage
  • Pendulum 1-5 Range —> 1 Range
  • Stopwatch (infinite) Range → 1-10 Range
  • Union staff Removed; replaced with Damnation: Pulls a foe to unit’s space, moves both units back 1 space, then Roots target for 1 turn
  • Loyal Ring Removed; replaced with Runic Ring: Grants magic/staff range +1, but sets Res to 0
  • there’s definitely more but im not digging deeper into my github lol

Download HERE!
(Remember to stay hydrated, report bugs and typos (please), and make sure you check the in-game Guide)

38 Likes

Love this hack. Fun, interesting, and not overwhelming in the slightest in regards to mechanics.
It has my recommendation :+1:

4 Likes

Congrats on the update, it looks like a very fun hack! I wonder do you mean that save for dialogue and polish, the game is complete from start to finish gameplay wise? If so, I may try it when I have time.

Yes yes yes! My favourite hack getting updated! Thank you!

1 Like

Epic hack, biased I guess from how many times I’ve played it now. But I only played it that much cuz it’s a blast. Highly recommend it to everyone, both parts have lovable casts with unique toolkits.EWCORE

3 Likes

hello! the game is technically not complete; there’s 18/25 planned chapters in the game, but part 1 and 2 are complete gameplay-wise and are standalone from each other.

6 Likes

I see. May I suggest to update the first post to include this info? Look forward to full release any way!

2 Likes

eternal winter update. god is real

2 Likes

ETERNAL WINTER IS UPDATED…
WINTER IS ENDING…SPRING IS HERE.
all seriousness what is here is very good and i cannot rec it enough for people to give it a try

2 Likes

Hello umm i am newbie, I don’t know who person chapter 1-3. I saw count blue titles 10. I feel look lack one character. Could lack recruit character? Or extra title? sorry i am just new.

hello! there’s just extra deployment tiles in certain maps for more convenient positioning.

I really don’t play unfinished hacks (the only one being DD: Saint’s Blood and that’s bc I was riding off the Deity Device wild ride), but this one looks just too damn good to not check it out now!

ok so I’m about to start chapter 1-7. Despite the insane skills I’ve had virtually no problem with them I think, they’re all working perfectly.

HOWEVER. I will say two bugs that happened to me. One was a dialogue bug, in which the text box appeared big but also entirely blank, and there was even another text box peeking out for the right for no reason. This happened in chapter 1-6 during the conversation with the mage thief boy and the wyvern girl (I’ll learn their names eventually I swear), and also when the boss of the chapter talked mid-way. I don’t know if this will only happen here or if it’ll happen later on. (EDIT: It happens again in chapter 1-F with some conversations like Nora and Anatollius, and Gorlois with the Axe Armor knight.)

The other one had to do with me, in the middle of that same chapter, I was attacking with Affogato to a random brigand and for some reason when I initiated the game crashed and played this SUPER loud noise. I have no idea what could’ve caused it, but if I’m remembering well Affogato has had a few weird interactions during combat like that, but not entirely sure.

Everything else is fantastic! Really love the unit and boss design, and so far the map design is really fun! (loved chapter 1-4 that one is incredible)

1 Like

Found a typo, or at least this sentence feels weird (the first one I found I think)

edit:

For some reason with Klavdia, when you check her personal skill it cuts off a part of it, doesn’t happen to anyone else. (edit: happens with the first part of Gorlois skills)

edit2: For some reason when you finish a support and try to canto after, it repeats the support over and over

edit3: another typo (“mgo”)

2 Likes

tuesdays me when i push talk convos without checking them

pushed a quick fix for the text errors, thanks for pointing these out

as for the crash, can you send a .sav/where was the enemy that caused the crash/what turn?

1 Like

sadly the save is gone, but if I remember correctly, it was one of these two barbarians at the bottom left side of the map. It hasn’t happened anywhere else but if it does I will inform

Edit: Also quick question, why does everyone call Ansgar “Gary”? Am I missing sth or? Same with Wegman being called Elias

Edit2: Also, I checked a few supports in FE builder, and for some reason Affogato and Ansgar’s B support has something funky in they uh, switched personalities at the end.

I’m checking out act 2 a bit to see what kind of things are waiting for me and… Is Chiffon supposed to be this bad? She has solid defensive growths and dex, but her bases are extremely low, she has E rank bows, I’m not sure if I understand how to even activate Overdrive, she can’t double anything and can barely hit more than 10 hp, and making her an armor knight is…a choice? I don’t get it. Oh and 20% strength and 15% speed growth sounds absolutely miserable to play with. The rest of the units are good though, I like what you did with them. I guess my only criticism with another unit would be Doppio in act 1 in which I feel like her personal skill barely gets use aside from some bosses, it’s too niche and the payout isn’t even that great, there aren’t a lot of enemy units who stand in terrain to excuse it, if it had another more impactful effect it’d be a lot better.

EDIT: Ok I had a moment in which Chiffon killed 5 enemies in one turn I think I get it HAHA… but still, E rank bows? 20% and 15% strength and speed growths? I get why it’s lower, but I’d make them still like 30% and 25% so that at least she has a realistic chance of getting them. It probably works to balance her early on but when the enemies get tougher she’ll have a really hard chance to keep up with kills, especially when her prf weapon starts having lower uses.

Edit2: Chapter 2-1 was a cool way to show Chiffon’s abilities to just entirely clear half of the map (though it does feel like it’s intentionally made this way with how many exact kills I got), but due to this it does feel like the 13 turn limit is a bit much. Maybe on higher difficulties it may make sense, but in normal I finished it in 5 turns.

I will agree that Doppio feels painfully mid, especially compared to Lennard.