[FE8] [Completed] The Sacred Trilogy Reskin and Rebalance

Some have already been integrated into the hack, others I’ll have to check individually. The skill system by itself already shifts a ton of data around and is incompatible with a lot of other hacks.

3 Likes

Well…shit…maybe to help curb the wait, you could walk us through what new skills you have for those who are losing the Rally Skills? I’d like to know Myrrh’s new skill layout aswell…if it’s not too much to ask.

OK I see graveyards and villages in this new map…will the first play a role in the chapter?

2 Likes

I’ve been focusing on maps, eventing and dialogue lately. I’m willing to take suggestions for the replacement skills.

Myrrh was reverted to vanilla for the moment. I’ll still modify her further later.

Graveyards and churches were put there to emphasize the fact that Rausten is a theocracy. Graveyards provide avoid bonuses and churches can heal.

2 Likes

So i’m just gonna quote a comment of mine i did a good while back, as to my suggestions for the skill replacements:

As for Myrrh…ok here’s my idea, revamped:

• Replace Forager for Imbue…keeps the general idea intact, just more useful and actually makes use of her MAG growth.
  • Replace Breath of Life for Amaterasu. I get the idea, but Myrrh isn’t really a character that should resort to aggression to heal people. With Imbue and Amaterasu, the idea is to create a way to showcase her unique power as a dragon, which earned her the title of “Great Dragon”…and give Myrrh a way to stay relevant if she loses her dragonstones. Or maybe replace Breath of Life with Moonlight as a nod to her Heroes persona?
  • Order of skill gain: Imbue » Dragon Fang at level 1…then Blood Tide » Amaterasu/Moonlight » Boon » Nullify at the level breaks you deem fit.
  • A minor HP/DEF (5 HP, 2 DEF) base stat buffs. Just so she’s not as wet of a tissue paper to tear through early on. Maybe a 2 extra SKL would be nice as it’s soo low, just to ensure some extra Dragon Fang procs in the early game.
  • EXP. this is the killer. She comes at a point where promoted units are many and decently strong, so killing them should yield her higher rewards.
  • Weapons: Your OG idea of 3 stones/breath weapons, each having Slayer effects against monsters, humans and dragons, sounds very nice, but putting them a 1 range is a pain (maybe reduce their Might?). 1-2 range is very needed and Ruins post-game it’s not only essencial, but even underwhelming. Assuming that and that each stone has a good number of uses (35-40 maybe) so that you can actually Hammerine them and i think it’s all good.
  • Maybe switch Myrrh’s attribute affinity? Wind is a bit xenophobic, in that it only really works well with other high offense affinities like Fire. Maybe a Dark attribute, to showcase her as more “monster-adjacent”? Would also help her with issues getting critted without having to rely on a Hoplon Guard 24/7.
  • Redo the tooltips to show stone/breath weapon effects a bit better (might, range, effect).

Re-edited some of the ideas for Myrrh.

Adalvar posted his so i’m repeating the same
Mine were based mostly on character and it may repeat with other characters

To avoid conflicting with them I also made a supposed change based on character, which might or not be better or worse

Aaaaaaaaaannnd…he’s gone. Poor man xD

If university doesn’t kill him we’ll be the ones to do so.
RIP Blood

You know inspiration is a bitch when it hits you in the jaw at 5:00 in the morning. Here’s the ideas:

• Just replace Myrrh’s Forager for Moonlight, keep her other skills the same. It’s partially fitting given her Heroes skill spread and it provides a nice way to circumvent her doubling issues without completely eliminating a intended weakness and it strengthens her player phase power.

• Buff her HP/DEF/RES for more durability and her SKL for slightly more accuracy and D. Fang procs.

• Do the different Slayer type Dragon stones, but keep them 1-2 range. Maybe just reduce their might to 13-14, maybe even 12, make them 40-50 uses.

• Swap her affinity to something that has crit evade, so she’s not shackled to a Hoplon Guard all game.

As for other changes (and a few extra i keep on remembering):

• In order to avoid skill repetition, you could give Cormag Charge+ to replace Rally Strength…makes him strong as a solo unit and fits his mobility as a flier.

• As Moulder is losing Rally Resistance, he could get Imbue for self sustain, making him a nice War Monk candidate.

• Please swap Arthur’s Mercy for something like Mirror Stance. It may not be as fitting with his theme, but as a growth unit, he should have a better combat personal skill. Maybe put Mercy into a weapon skill for someone like Seth, so he can set up kills better in the early game, rather than just curb-stomp everything.

• Please give Ross a personal skill that helps him scale. Give him Heavy Strikes, its perfect for his theme and gameplay loop and make him not weaker than Garcia and Dozla in the lategame and the weakest of the trainees.

• Swap Dozla’s Heavy Strikes for something like Grisly Wound. As a pre-promote, his job should be heavy hitting from the start, not scaling into lategame.

• SInce the game is soo big on statboosters for post-game, why not add a omni-booster like the Saint’s Scroll from Project Ember?

1 Like

Do not nerf Dozla, he already has enough trouble on his own. He needs that lategame potential
Ross could just get his Journeyman stat caps raised instead so it just doesn’t end up as a worse Berserker

1 Like

I mean Grisly Wound is a ton of extra damage up-front and paired with some base stat buffs to his Skill, Speed and HP and Dozla is fine, and can actually work as what a pre-promote at that stage should, rather than some weird scaling unit, that doesn’t really scale since his bases and growths in those 3 areas are very lack luster for a unit at stage, especially a pre-promote.

Also the Super Trainee class should be removed and either give the Trainees access to other classes or give them semi-unique ones like Amelia (like say Monk line for Ewan, Wyvern Rider line for Amelia, Mercenary line for Ross).

I know I’m bringing back an old topic but just take a look at that pole. It’s changed so much. I remember the ‘No’ option having higher vote.

Proof things change with time, I wasn’t even around when this post was made

sure yes meaningless sacred weapons to be used 40 to 50 times and gone, it just makes you rarely use them so it would be fair enough.

I mean that can be fixed by adding 1 or 2 more Hammerne staves in the Ruins, no need to make them unbreakable.

Making them unbreakable would mean a major nerf to compensate

1 Like

As long as sacred weapons have effectiveness against monsters their mt could be zero and would still get used. Not to mention they’re late game weapons anyway. I’d go for the thing that would make them more usable than the “people can cheese” cause mate… it’s fe8. Cheese is the bread and butter. Making it anti-cheese is killing half the fun of the game. If you don’t wanna cheese then don’t!

1 Like

Technically if their mt was zero effectiveness wouldn’t do anything…

But yeah, there should be some drawback to using the best weapons, and FE8’s cast isn’t big enough for it to be a big limitation that you can only use one of each at a time. Since it doesn’t have mechanics like FE15’s single inventory slot or FE14’s debuffs after combat, limited durability is the main way that GBAFE gives you a reason to not just use the strongest weapons at all times.

Are you certain about what you’re saying ? Regardless of the weapon effectiveness against monster if their might is set to 0 then that’s it… It will be even worse than a slim lance and I mean it.

Suppose, Strength + 0 × 2 = Strength. So that’s the attack rate you have irrespective of effectiveness.

Now, if I were to say balancing, then it’s not too hard a work except the player won’t have to buy that much weapons. The only thing you need to do is buff monsters. Here’s my theory :-

Garm : Axe : S, Mt : 10, Hit : 75, Crit : 5, Range : 1. Wt : 20 (+5 speed)
Gleipnir : Dark : S, Mt : 15, Hit : 80, Crit : 5, Range : 1-2. Wt : 16 (Even now druids will be slowed a ton preventing them from doubling. It might not be a
One - Round - Ko.) (+5 def) (No effectiveness)
Excalibur : Anima : S, Mt : 9, Hit : 75, Crit : 10, Range : 1-2, Wt : 13. (+5 skill)
Ivaldi : Light : S, Mt : 7, Hit : 100, Crit : 10, Range : 1-2, Wt : 11 (+5 res)

If you were buffing, weapons then you could buff monsters too. (Lore-wise) ‘Only 1 sacred stone is left in the entire continent, the darkness has grown stronger than ever and not to mention we are heading straight into their domain.’

The only thing I’m worried about is the space left to do these things. Otherwise it’s no problem, keep the weapons as they are.

That was my bad for not specifically saying I was exaggerating on the ‘zero’ part. Still stands what I was saying tho… FE8 really doesn’t need to be hard and perfectly balanced to be fun. Exacting exactly how to balance the sacred weapons so that they won’t be OP will take the point of making them unbreakable purposeless. I’m not saying to keep them holy avenger style but there’s surely a balance between cheese and not making them over the top. Most people playing these games don’t go into it to iron man every playthrough by breaking their every other finger and sacrificing a family member every time a unit dies. Not saying that any of ya’ll suggestions do that but these topics seem to get quickly consumed by the minority try-hards who need to prove something to their monitor at how hard they can sweat at a 2006 game.

I think taking the mt down a few points will do just fine. Or half the bonuses given, depending on their usefulness, no need to nerf the +5 res lmao.

You could also reverse engineer the problem and make gaining weapon levels more difficult.

I do also like making them a bit heavier. Maybe not that heavy but heavy enough where it’s risky to throw joshua in a crowd and just expect him to dodge everything thrown at him. But that’ll encourage not-geralt usage which the bossman doesn’t need. As well as in general take the lighter units down a peg which FE8 generally seems to dump on.

It’s about making the game fun while also not taking the charm of it from it. There’s already a few FE8 ‘alters’ that make it harder to be harder and this is one of them where I’ve found the balance to be well maintained.

2 Likes

This is something I can agree with. The sentiment of “it’s only fun if it makes me break something” is really getting tiresome. I don’t mind some challenge but the only time I ever found this hack egregious was those bloody Mortal Savants in the ruins, any proc based status skill is bad to put on enemies, and my unbreakable Latona comment wasn’t a joke. I had to make latona unbreakable just for that floor alone.

Vantage + Frenzy + 51% activation rate = NOT FUN.

on top of that the slough of 1-3 range dragons with boon and renewal with over 100hp or over 30 defense/resistance was taxing on my desire to keep playing.

Some people in this thread strike me as the " every enemy should have Black Magic(random status if I remember right) with a 100% activation and no restore staves." to be the only way to play.

There are limits to everything and not everything has to be 100% optimized or whathaveyou to be fun for a lot of people, but others just think “I think this is bad so everyone thinks its bad” and it’s draining to say the least.

5 Likes

I can’t say much about it since I played in easy mode. And I was forced to use Latona for the same reasons. The dragons annoyed me the most. Making Latona unbreakable is a bit harder than balancing all the other legendary weapons.

Frankly setting skills on enemy for increasing difficulty seems a terrible idea. If it was for boss fights then it’s alright but when you face a horde of enemies all at once with skill activations… then it gets very very rough. Especially when poison has been buffed.

If it’s possible to reduce the effective bonus then it’s the best solution for balancing weapons.

Also I didn’t get that +5 res part. I just changed some (+5 bonuses). Didn’t nerf them or anything. +5 speed infinite weapon would be way too broken unless you are weighed down.

1 Like