[FE8] [COMPLETE] Iron Emblem (v1.3.1.1, Full-Length) RR Out!

Classes continued

I don’t really think they need buffing, they just have no real reason to be used (I only used them because I killed all my fighters… Was it an accident? Listen…) My main thing is the chapter they’re introduced they’re fairly poor. For example, the mountain squad shows up on a map with a lot of terrain, really showing off how cavalry can help dominate a map quickly. The outdoor maps end right before you get the pirates and brigand, so their unique terrain movement isn’t something you can take advantage of until chapter 14 (and it’s a fairly nice utility to move around on the river in the middle), which is 6+ chapters later.

I would also say I’ve used everything and had relative success with in my own way (for example, I think sages are terrible but it’s always nice to have an extra healer lol)

Also, I figured you weren’t actually going to make changes at this point, I just wanted to give my own personal thoughts and things I might look at if there was ever a sequel to be had. I’m going to be doing another playthrough probably next week because this is fun as hell lol

1 Like

Pushed a new update. Changelog is attached.

Changes

-Grunts 3 Str growth buffed slightly
-Pirates/Brigands speed growth buffed slightly
-Disclaimer added in 11x
-On Normal Mode, 11x has been slightly nerfed
-Some battle palettes have been changed to be more consistent, courtesy of ArcherBias
-The villages not getting destroyed should be fixed

2 Likes

This is a bit of a weird post, but I’ve been considering a sequel lately. It would not come out nearly as quickly or be drastically different, but I might use class bases from another FE game as a base to vary up the gameplay. Otherwise it would mostly stay very similar, perhaps with more varied objectives and a higher level of difficulty, and maybe more story emphasis?

Not sure as of now, but I thought I’d put up a poll gauging interest in this. It’ll be open till the end of the year, since even if I decide on making one, development won’t start until 2022, due to real life + other romhacking projects.

Edit: Realisd posting this in the thread skews the results a bit. Please don’t feel bad if you are indifferent to it, I want genuine opinions!

Would you be interested in an Iron Emblem sequel?
  • Yes, I have a high level of interest in a sequel
  • No, I don’t have a high level of interest/indifferent

0 voters

2 Likes

yes
me
i want one
i’ll even help if you want! :smiley:

1 Like

Despite the Many game overs I gotten. I found Iron Emblem enjoyable. I only cleared it twice so far in my many attempts of playing. Mostly because the commander wants to not dodge 5 attacks when they are around 50-70 pct. Usually around chapter 12 or 13 but rarely on chapter 9 of the cave. imo chapter 12-13 is the break or make point. Once you get pass that Usually the run is as good as finished since you have a solid team or solid replacements from the promoted units working from 14 to final.

I would welcome a sequel.

I will give a more detailed review after I finish this current run.

2 Likes

I’d love a sequel of sorts to this! I absolutely adore the aspect of iron manning with generic units! The premise makes me feel like I’m actually in a war and it allows me to develop my own little backstory’s on the units so I can get attached to them in my own little way. I wish you the very best of luck with that project whenever you can get around to it!

1 Like

Ok. I finished My Current Playthough.
The Amount of units and gear and money you give us is more then enough provided we dont do overspending. The Sleep and Silence Staff are very useful in this hack and are well placed.

The Chapters, For the Most part most of the chapters are pretty balanced imo as long as you dont get super rng screwed. As I said before Chapter 12 and 13 are make or break chapters. For Chapter 12, the First 6 turns are the most important turns. If stuff goes wrong here it can easily turn into a game over. If the player manages to do decent to well on those 1st 6 turns the Chapter is pretty much in the bag. As for Chapter 13, I feel there needs to be 1 to 2 more turns allowed to destory all supplies. It is a very rough chapter even with a good chunk of your units promoted by this point its sometimes hard to push if you get a few unlucky misses or deaths. As for Chapter 11x, it is a good source of weapon experience, however the rewards feel lack luster, The swordmaster wont be used much as even the starting myrm is better then he so unless you get really unlucky and lose the mercs, theives, and the myrm, he problaly wont get used or used much. The wind sword and elixir are very useful but the metis tome and talsman don’t feel worth it.

The Units.
The Commander is pretty average. nothing strong or weak about him. I usually dont promote him till 20 since it is mentioned he doesnt get anything but res and con on promotion.
The soldier. He usually gets benched pretty fast, He is just too slow to be useful imo. Just an early game unit that just falls off.
The 1st Cav. I seen her get screwed and blessed. Pretty average unit but could use a slight defense promotion buff.
The 1st Armor. Honestly Armors just terrible here even if they get blessed in Defense. I think I got 1 to end game and the rest got benched or killed.
The 1st archer. Very solid unit, starts off a little weak early game but turns into a really good mid to late game unit.
The Recruit. He is pretty solid unit for mid to late game. Easy to feed him levels.
The 2 Fighters. Both Solid units. good starting stats and good end game No reason to use the pirates or brigands over these 2 unless you lose these 2 and the Trainee.
The 1st merc. 1 of the best Sword units once he reaches mid to late game.
The 1st Shaman. Since no one has res even if he gets very little magic from his levels, He does a good job at weaken enemies for others to get kills.
The 1st 2 Mages. Same as shaman.
The 1st Curate. Most used heal bot. Can turn into a good late game offensive unit and if he doesnt still a solid heal bot.
The 2 thieves. Theives are crazy good here, the 25 exp on stealing and the combat ability they have that isnt in most hacks is a good send. A bit squishy at the start but mid to late game they really become dodgy tanks with a bit of defense.
The 2 hunters, Really solid Archers. Can be used in place of the Starting Archer or to be used with the starting Archer. Becoming Nomads is a god send. Overall solid units
The Trainee. He is slow but he really hits hard. I saw you gave him a str growth boost but imo he doesnt need that, he can use a slight speed growth boost instead.
The 1st bishop. Placeholder healer that does some damage early game. Will be dropped for other mages/healers
The 2 Pirates. Really dont see a use for them unless you lose the 2 fighters and Trainee somehow.
The Brigand. Same story as the Pirates.
The 2 Pegasus knights. They look bad but they really turn into solid magic killers that can soak up some physical damage as well. imo they are better then cavs and with the Fili shield, they pretty much become a Staple unit imo.
The 2 Cavs that Come with the 2 Pegasus. Pretty Much same story as the 1st Cav.
The Mounted Healer. Good Replacement healer speedy and decent defense and res.
The 2nd Armor. He suffers the same problems as the 1st Armor.
The Myrm. 4 str sound terrible but if he can manage to get some strength on those level ups he can snowball into a really good unit. imo he should have 5 base strength.
The promoted Assassin, he is a decent replacement if you managed to lose both of your theives.
The Cleric, She only gets used if the 1st 2 healers and bishop manage to die or just get really bad growths.
The SwordMaster, mostly wanted for his gear but he can help a bit in chapter 12. Not sure about his end game. Didn’t Care to use him since he had 6 base str and is rather squishy.
The 2nd merc who shows up in chapter 12. Overall solid unit that good to promote when you get him.
The Monk. Same story as the 2nd Merc. Can easily replace any mages you have that got rng screwed.
The 2 Ballisticians. If their gear didnt cost 360 and 400+ to replace, I would consider using them more often. but with how little gold you have to work with, I cant justify their cost.
The 1st Draco Knight. His problem is he has 20 HP. Not really worth using because of that.
The 1st prepromoted Sorc. Decent replacement incase all your mages got rng screwed or killed.
The Prepromoted Sniper. A solid replacement incase you get your archer or 2 hunters rng screwed or killed.
The Prepromoted Sage. Another Decent replacment with the 1st prepromoted sorc incase you lose your mages or get rng screwed mages. Bolting tome is useful.
The prepromoted Fighter. I honestly Never used him nor considered using him.
The PrePromoted Falco Knight. Honestly would not use maybe if he was level 2-5 with those stats, I would consider using.
The 2 Prepromoted Generals, if I need a replacement tank, I would use them. Maybe make their starting weapon levels a bit better.
The Prepromoted Paladin, Would not use at all Worse off then the PrePromoted Falco Knight imo.
The Prepromoted Horsemen. I only use him in the Final, Pretty decent filler unit that stays out of danger.
The Prepromoted Valkirye. if she had B or A rank Light magic instead of B rank staffs, I would consider using. My biggest problem is finding someone to use the Holy tome, only the Monk can get close to using the Holy tome.
The level 20 prepromoted sorc. S rank tomes. Solid end game unit. Pretty good at staff use as well.
The Manakete, His Chapter placement is pretty bad, he needs a bit of babying to become useful but if you manage to do that he becomes a very solid unit.
Dragon the 2nd Prepromote Draco Knight. Very solid Last Chapter Unit. Can handle his own very well.

now for the latest Team I used on my Current Playthough.

Units from Previous Playthroughs
Failed run

Cleared run but really touch and go on the Final. lost 6+ units

4 Likes

If you do a sequel, I recommend making it take place in a new world w/ a new “cast”, but keeping the core gameplay premise the same, albeit w/ different numbers/classes from another game.

The only way I will be convinced otherwise is if 24th Squad 2 comes back as a grizzled Jeigan Lord to avenge Commander.

“Austral… I will destroy them.”

10 Likes

The core gameplay/experience of Iron Emblem is excellent and very unique, so I hope you keep the core elements of it for the sequel, but with new repartitions of units classes and class bases ! More varied objectives like you said could also be very good, anyway I’m sure it would be a excellent sequel ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

It would be very nice to have, but I was born evil and without love and would ask for a (very evil) spin of it.

Iron Emblem but its all green units [You get relegated to issuing orders]

It wouldn’t probably work unless worked on well, but otherwise it would be a great thing to have.

1 Like

For a game to base the stats off of, I recommend FE1. It’s similar to FE11 but some classes have more lopsided bases in ways most people would probably expect. Faster pegasus knights, slower dracoknights, and armors with a bit of speed instead of 0.

Granted, for any game it should be taken inspiration from, not just copy/paste. FE1’s paladins are ridiculous, for example.

3 Likes

Please do this i want more iron emblem, this hack is my favorite fe game and ive sunk dozens hours of my life into it. i need more iron emblem in my life

1 Like

Just beat Hard mode and I gotta say I would absolutely love a second iron emblem hack
I need more generic madness
Iron Emblem Hardmode-85
Iron Emblem Hardmode-86
Iron Emblem Hardmode-87

2 Likes

Sorry for a bit of a pointless post, but the poll might have gotten a bit buried and I wanted to point out that it’s open for 6 more days, in case anyone missed it and wanted to share their input. Have a good Christmas everyone!

3 Likes

I’d be down to do playtesting if you need it, just shoot me a DM on FEU and i’ll give ya my discord handle

IronConquest.emulator-18

It’s coming. Anyone interested in helping out with development in any way please DM me or reply in the thread and I’ll get back to you.

21 Likes

I played and thoroughly enjoyed your first game and would love to help with development in any way I can. I’ve worked on stuff like FE6 hack Project Ember and a few more personal projects.

1 Like

So I started this up again and I had a save on chapter 4 and so when I start the chapter it automatically gives me a game over. How do I get around this?

1 Like

The only two ways to stop this would to be editing the rom in febuilder or restarting the run.

1 Like

I just ended up restarting cuz I don’t know enough about FEbuilder to do that. Thanks for letting me know though and I’m super excited for the next one you’re making!

1 Like