[FE8] [COMPLETE] Host of the Dark 2.5 (25 main chapters, 4 gaidens) + 0%, Fixed, and Casual modes!

FE8Hostofdark03.emulator-6FE8Hostofdark03.emulator-7
FE8Hostofdark03.emulator-8
There’s nothing technically “wrong” here, but to my eye these look way oversaturated and ugly. I’d recommend checking in with the feu spritans channel on discord to get more concrete tips on what’s wrong here and how to improve since I’m not an artist by any means and my paletting skills are beyond awful, so my feedback is not going to be very in-depth.

The thing is that the player is not rewarded for playing fast, only punished. Since every unit comes to me, I’m naturally incentivised to stay back and turtle until the enemy numbers have thinned out, and I don’t consider myself someone who plays FE super slowly or anything like that. There’s no side objective on any map that is constrained by time or anything like that, and every factor of the game seems to be asking me to take a slower route by placing my units on a forest or fort and clicking end turn.

The thing is that there’s such little danger because I’m dodging most attacks by sitting on a fort or forest tile, and stuff doesn’t feel risky when the game is constantly encouraging me to sit back. Having no healer and fewer healing items just makes me overrely on the units that don’t take any damage, like Fidem against axes, or Max and Cory being near-invincible due to their high defense stats. Once any other unit takes damage, I’m more likely to just stop using them than to play fast and risky. Also, on sending Max away, again the map doesn’t want me to, because I can just clear out enemies and get to the ballista risk free. All these issues kind of just go back to the point of the pacing not being conducive to fast play and no anti-turtle incentive being present.

I’m a fan of smaller maps too, but limited deployment feels really bad when your units are still in the single digits. This isn’t an actual problem because as far as the maps go you maybe need 3-4 units total, but I do enjoy using units that have been provided to me. I’d also say that even though these maps are small, it feels constrictive because the main unit is Max, who can cover most of the map in a single movement. I think small maps definitely work, but with an 8 mov flier as the jagen, it brings the enjoyment level down significantly. Like I mentioned, I also just think these maps don’t make use of their space fully and could be paced better.

Bad units can be funny, but there’s also a way to do them that’s wholly uninteresting that I think he falls into. I don’t really mind Sal being bad, but you don’t even really get a chance to see him be bad because he doesn’t ever get to engage in combat.

Using mGBA.

Well I didn’t use Max here, I just baited out the javelin with the cav and iron axe’d him since he doesn’t move. I don’t really think it’s an interesting decision since all your 2 range options are pretty busted and the cav would outrange the armor by a lot even if the boss moved.

Not to be too rude but I think that the meat of the hack should not be starting at the 8th chapter I play, because I feel most players lose interest long before that point, but I feel like you know this already.

Also I’m glad to help, I know the feeling of not getting enough eyes on your work where even one test can be helpful.

Oh yeah, MMB is just basically an easy way to see enemy/player stats like attack, defense, AS, etc, while still on the map instead of having to go into the status screen to check. If you’re using febuilder, it provides quite a few options that you can take a look at to decide which suits your preferences.

1 Like

I’m gaining a lot from this, I see that I mainly need to work on ai variation and enemy strength

I’ll do that, thank you.

I’ll probably bump up deployment by one for a few maps, I like forcing the player to make choices in which units to invest in but yeah, the units are still weak.

that’s so strange, I’ll need to do more testing on these occurrences…

yes and I mostly mean that the way this hack’s plot will progress has the hack sort of have a ‘‘fresh start’’ at 8 to be vague. With your advice I’ll try and make the hack more fun to play so that the player is engaged until the big moment at the end of chapter 7 happens which I hope will be impactful enough.

oh I’ll look into that, thank you, it seems really convenient.

Thanks for the follow up, it’s much appreciated!

I think these are good things to focus on, but here I think I’d recommend maybe going back to some of your favorite maps in the series or even other hacks and trying to examine them under a really specific lens to understand why you enjoy them and how you can replicate those elements. The videos I linked I believe do touch on this a bit but definitely something that can help if done properly.

Also, just try to get more people to play it and give feedback, since more opinions gives you a better holistic perspective on the gameplay. It’s difficult to do anything about as an individual (though again via the feu discord, they’ve got a #playtesting channel where you can drop a patch and get people to test certain chapters of your game and give feedback) but really one of the best things that can be done with regards to these issues.

2 Likes
Chapter 5
  • The talk between the cav and the soldier isn’t both ways for some reason, pretty easy change
  • Same issue with every enemy charging and the chapter turning into a slogfest with me choking a single point with cory to make all the enemies go away. I wouldn’t just buff the enemies because there’s so many units that cory is the only reasonable way to handle them
  • Forgot to get the chest so if I’m missing some easy solution to something later that’s probably why
Chapter 6
  • 7 deploy again really sucks, but again not of much actual consequence
  • Why can’t I just buy regular tomes? Only having a 60 hit tome for cory really sucks.
  • Not sure why these dragon enemies are extremely buff in terms of defense when already most of the army lags behind Max and Cory. It just incentivises juggernauting even more.
  • What’s up with the random dragon reinforcements with no telegraphing? When it’s one at a time it is okay, but there’s no indicator there’ll be two coming at a time afterwards. They’re not threatening enough to be “oh shit” enemies, but also kind of annoying to kill for exp. This part isn’t a huge deal, it just confused me a bit.
  • Overall I felt like this map once again just leans into making the player turtle and rely heavily on max/cory/summons instead of making use of every unit.
Chapter 6x
  • +1 deploy, yay!
  • Why should I split here? Every objective worth getting is on the bottom of the split (shops + chest). I’d recommend spreading the side objectives out so the player really wants to go both ways, if that was the intention, at least. If not, then don’t mind this.
  • Some things here that I feel are really just annoying are a crit enemy with no high def unit or iron rune to mitigate it, heal AI enemies, and physic on the enemy side. It feels like it just makes the chapter play much slower.
  • Again, this chapter repeats the issue of just having every enemy charge, making me have to turtle or just die. Even Cory struggled a bit here, to my surprise. Enemy strength is nice, but the chapter was not actually that difficult, the main thing that surprised me was Cory taking damage. Again, please don’t just do a flat increase, because it makes the chapter unmanageable then.
  • Thief stole a master seal from me, not cool lol. I assume this is an oversight, but I guess they drop it anyways, so not a huge deal, I guess? Though it left me unable to get the chest.
  • Hellen is really strong lol, she’s like slightly worse Cory with much higher HP, though the swordmaster did scare me when they crit her. Makes the rest of your units not named Cory, Solum, or Max look even more like chumps. Luckily she survived pretty easily.
  • Solum caps look weird. Also, he’s extremely busted and once I promoted him he just trivialized the map. Not sure why he gets canto+ on top of just having crazy stats and a broken prf but I’m not complaining.
    FE8Hostofdark03.emulator-10
  • Some guy poisoned Cory, wasn’t a big deal but poison is still annoying. Not gonna hammer it in, though, I know I’ve already said this.
  • The non telegraphed back reinforcements are not cool though also not super threatening, though I lost 2 units to them because I just wasn’t expecting these extremely jacked enemies to come behind me when the rest of the game was not particularly punishing. I definitely turtled a bit but definitely kind of excessive, at least without telegraphing. I’d warn the player at least 1 or 2 turns in advance, and if I missed the warning, ignore this.

Gotta replay 6x so Cory and Hellen don’t die lmao, but here’s my initial thoughts on Ch7 after doing a preliminary run

Chapter 7
  • imo, the fire dragon here is kind of ridiculous with the amount of damage. I did a quick solo run with op Solum and he took 25 damage, which is kind of ridiculous, since he was one of my bulkiest units. I realise that a casual solo is not super accurate to how a map plays, but the description of the dragon’s weapon doesn’t even mention any sort of effectiveness.
  • Archer who moves with ballista seems kind of silly, that’s what, 15 effective range? Covers almost the entire map.
  • Hastam is nuts! I only broke it near the end of the map in my solo. Still beat the rest of the map pretty easy with just an iron lance, lol.
  • Not much to say on the twist because I kind of stopped reading story, but I feel like it’s a decent twist that I feel didn’t land very properly, and was kind of heavily foreshadowed (in an uninteresting way, it kind of just reveals it all randomly) by Solum’s promotion. Not really the biggest writing guy, so I’d ask elsewhere for better advice.

Went ahead and played ch8 since it seemed unconnected gameplay-wise.

Chapter 8
  • Not a fan of the jagen with 0 luck, but I guess 0x3 damage is still 0.
  • Jagen also being able to ORKO or do kind of pitiful damage feels very, how do I say, extreme? I feel like maybe lowering his strength and giving him an iron sword would help him chip better, though I’m not sure. Might want to play around with that. He’s also wayyyy dominant when not using the training sword, which I suppose is reasonable for a jagen, but he ORKOs the boss. Just seems a bit too high on power and quite spammable, since those bases look like they’ll hold up for quite a while.
  • Sal’s prf being unbreakable seems kind of questionable. I do like the practical description, though.
  • This map seems much better than everything coming before, with actual side objectives. Howver, it seems quite large to me, with the enemies not being distributed great. It’s like a wave of swords, a wave of axes, and then a wave of lances, which makes them relatively trivial to take out. I’d experiment with mixing up weapon types a bit more. Also, it feels like the left side kind of gets the short end of the stick. with an axe unit + sword unit + the peg I sent being bombarded by swords and bows.
Ch9
  • Didn’t really play this one, but I would recommend not doing fog. It’s more of a preference, but I just really hate fog in gbafe.
  • Also, having a ballista you can’t see in the fog feels a bit cheap, so I’d remove that if you planned to keep the fog aspect of the map.
  • I like how the green units come out to defend their village, that’s cute.

I’ll replay ch6x-8 and play ch9-11 at a later date, sorry for being late with this. And apologies if my feedback is a little incoherent, will hopefully have more to say after my replay.

1 Like

thank you so much for the continued feedback!

nothing much, just a silver axe.

this is a bit of a problem I’m having rn, thunder is a bit too strong to have on hand imo but at the same time having only a 60 hit tome isn’t that great, I’ll probably make a new tome entirely that fulfills the purpose of fire.

Trained units handle the dragons pretty well from my testing, Sagiita has high strength, bishop’s slayer works on dragons to make up for the lack of monsters, Anna has good bases and 1-2 range

I keep forgetting to add a sort of indication for reinforcements on this map

I plan to add another dragon type to give some variation to the map.

from the map view I believe the GK was intended to move along the top, although the ai doesn’t like the idea… Will definitely fix this up.

haha yeah I’ve been having trouble figuring out how tf thief ai works, I’m changing Porter’s class next update so he doesn’t move to steal something since he’s a trickster.

I suppose you can call her a gato

Slight spoilers but you prob could've guessed since you're beyond chapter 7

this is the same class as the final boss class, I’ll probably fine tune the stats once I get to the end and change the caps accordingly.

changed the effect of Aspect of Truth since your first comment about it, it’ll be changed next update.

it’s some sort of side effect of the holy weapons being effective against the class, I don’t think I’ll change it since it keeps Solum from just walking to Lia with no problems (once I fix the balancing)

I’ve changed the idea around Miles just yesterday, he has worse stats and weapon ranks and has higher luck but not much. Makes the general idea of being more prone to danger as the game goes on more fun.

it’s a steel sword with no effectiveness, extra speed, and I believe more hit. I think it’s not too much of a broken thing.

added more variety since then.

it’s very weak and inaccurate chip, it’s more something for Garth to go after so that I can actually place one or two hunters with little guilt.

if you find that the female mercs are weaker than the male merc, that’s because I forgot to even the class bases, it’ll be fixed next update.

No need to apologize! You’re not obligated to review this hack, any sort of feedback is appreciated no matter how small so this much feedback is amazing!

The thing is that I am not training these units because they are completely useless in the 3-4 maps preceding the dragon one, and you said yourself that Sal is meant to be bad. I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t consistently bench Sal unless they knew this was coming.

slight spoilers

Just make a dupe class with lower caps, then. Should solve the issue.

Really, at least let the player know this, is my main thing. It feels cheap to have no indicator of this being true and then being killed.

Not sure how much the wranks would change how he works but seems like a good change.

1 Like

yeah I’m just saying once I fully rework the difficulty of the hack the dragons won’t be as much of a problem and that the intended way of clearing maps makes this particular one less problematic. Sal’s case is a niche one, Cory also promotes to bishop with an alternate band.

oh yeah, I’ll prob do that thanks.

yeah I’ll probably add some dialogue about this particular thing, it’ll probably have to be slightly vague since I don’t think there’s a check I can use to check if Solum is a master soldier, if there is then that makes things easier.

The thing is that he has 2 other promotions and I didn’t even consider using the alternate band on him for one second. I’m guessing that bishop has lower gains than sage (or whatever else it’s called, I forget) for an overall minor benefit, since the chapter is definitely still beatable without the tools mentioned. Though if the archer and Anna become units that are useful to deploy, then this doesn’t really matter, since you’d have more options.

This should work. Just check if Solum has the promoted flag.

1 Like

Host of the Dark 0.4 is live! Many changes were made in this patch, in particular QoL patches were added, part 1 was almost completely rebalanced and made harder as a result thanks to @Relic 's extremely helpful feedback, as well as others on Discord who’ve helped me greatly!

Alongside that a lot of the story was rewritten to better make sense and scenes were added or removed to better help the narrative flow.

I’m excited to hear feedback with both the story and gameplay! I’m truly thankful that I’ve been able to get such helpful advice thus far!

For those who've played up until the end of the previous patch

Sagiita’s part 2 character ID was changed, if you want to use her I recommend restarting from the beginning of part 2.

part 2 Fidem has been given a prf weapon

Chapter 11 now has a new character, Tatiana who can either be a rouge or a trickster

many bases were changed

Miles is now a GK with a silver lance and has nerfed stats

Raigholm was buffed

Atom was buffed

4 Likes

quick hotfix, chapter 12’s end event did not trigger properly.

1 Like

Valid and awesome

1 Like

Just a small side by side comparison of chapters prologue-12 from the 0.9 old version of HotD and the current version’s map

prologue-7

prologue prologuenew

chap1 chap1new

chap2 chap2new

chap3 chap3new

chap4 chap4new

chap5 chap5new

chap6 chap6new

chap7 chap7new

8-12

chap8 chap8new

chap9 chap9new

chap10 chap10new

chap11 chap11new

chap12 chap12new

also, I’m currently both implementing a new chapter of HotD and adding some more story segments to better flesh out the plot and worldbuilding, I am curious whether it is preferred to release the next version with the dialogue changes and extra chapter, or wait a while longer for multiple chapters along with the dialogue changes?

• Release 1 extra chapter with the story additions
  • Wait to release a larger update with multiple chapter additions

0 voters

that’s all for now, have a nice day!

1 Like

So after thinking through it a bit I decided to open a discord server for HotD, this will mainly be used to keep those interested in the loop about how things are going without bumping this page, and to provide a place for general discussion about HotD without again bumping the thread.

link will be provided in the OP and I hope to you in the server!

1 Like

Decided to take another go at the new version since I had time

Prologue

I usually test muted, so I didn’t notice this, but please, please, please remove distant roads. It’s an assault on my ears, even just changing it to some different vanilla music would be good enough.

I’m overexaggerating obviously, but definitely get rid of it.

Not sure why Mick displays as not moving when he does in fact move, and doesn’t attack you unless you start adjacent to him on EP.

Otherwise, not much to say, this chapter is still pretty boring.

Ch1

Random but you probably want to get rid of the flashing circle at the top of the statscreen, it’s a patch in febuilder, just export the image, erase the circle, reimport.

This chapter is better cause sagiita doesn’t move, but it still displays that she does. Not sure what’s up with that, since I know you installed the patch that fixes this type of thing. Though I’d say this is a good improvement from before. Visually it looks better too, not sure what changed

With that being said, it still feels pretty bait-and-switch with no antiturtle, really. Encourages me to take it slow and rout the map for exp before approaching Tobias. Would be interesting if he actually moved or something and the objective was just kill boss, I think.

Mick also doesn’t have much to do past the start, would be nice if there was an actual bow enemy to show off his bowbreaker on. Maybe the enemies that come from the back can be turned into archers, since they already have 1-2 range.

Sidenote, some weapon descs and dialogue are still uncapitalized, including the Mini Bow.

Ch2

First off, want to say that the custom map palette mostly looks good, but the dark pixels on the grass really stick out. Also that this chapter is a pretty good improvement on the previous iteration.

Just a random thing, it’s spelled “Rout”, not “Route”. Don’t want to be a dick about it but just noticed this, not a big deal.

Okay, I fully admit this is probably my fault for wording my criticisms so harshly, but I feel like you really overcorrected here. The constant reinforcements are so weird on a map this small, and it feels like the enemy wtype distribution isn’t super nice to my army, especially with how few units I’m given.

Change the axereaver soldier to a merc or remove the crit from axereaver, the soldier has 1 crit on every unit of mine.

Not sure what Mick did wrong, it feels like this map is really hostile to him. He lost the mageslayer axe which would actually have been useful now, feels much slower and frailer, and there’s axereaver/horseslayer enemies.

Max still completely dominates though I noticed you did tune him down a bit, good change.

Honestly, I think this map should be completely redone. I feel like it fundamentally plays much better, but has too many issues as is, especially with how small my army is. It feels like I want to kind of play conservatively for a lot of turns with my non-max units until the reinforcements stop, then slowly mop up Tobias and the KE merc.

Sagiita would benefit HUGELY from a longbow or something, she feels way better and more useful here but she’s so frail and the map design + enemy placement really makes you need to extend out with her, making her super liable to dying easily. It’s also a map with only 4 other units, one of which is max who is out doing other things, so positioning with this in mind is almost impossible.

Oh, also the rout wincon doesn’t work immediately, only after I end turn. I killed the last enemy with Mick, so this might be a canto+ thing.

Ch3

Mick is much better here, lol.

Appreciate the changes made and I feel the enemies are much tougher, which is nice, but it mostly feels similar in how it plays very passively, with no anti-turtle and enemy formations being quite easy to tackle. I may suggest a few more enemies, here, not too many. Play around with the timing and see what you get. Alterntively, shrink the map down a bit, or just completely rework it. I think the idea is good, but the design feels very aimless as is.

Noticed Cory gets exp slower, or something? Good change since he was super super busted before.

Fidem actually got hit super hard by a soldier which I wasn’t expecting, went into the rom and it said WT is +/-2. Had no idea about this, would be nice to have it in the OP, because it just feels a bit cheap with no indication of it, though this is partially my fault for not paying enough attention.

Sorry I’ve only gotten 4 chapters in again, but I’ve been busy. Hopefully I can knock out the rest of the game soonish, since I should have more time in a couple weeks.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the feedback, always appreciated!

Don’t worry, I recall this being the only instance of distant roads playing, I’ll probably still swap it out though, since distant roads is probably the last thing someone wants to hear from a romhack

just a weird thing with how the AI is set up, you can see the same thing with the bandit boss from SS prologue.

thanks for that, I kept forgetting to look for a way to get rid of it.

I had to do some trickery with the AI because enemies that have the range display fixed don’t actually have a mov stat and recruiting her won’t fix that. It’s unfortunate but I’ll just have to add a text box saying she won’t move ig.

oh that’s a nice idea, I didn’t really think about how Mick’s bow breaker would come into play here as I focused mainly on the later part 1 chapters and part 2’s chapters in general.

thanks, I wanted to give the hack a more unique look overall and I’m glad it’s working, I’ll probably do some touch-ups.

Overall I do think that I want to redo the map, the objective changed a few times throughout development but the map largely remained the same, Tobias in a corner, seize point in another. I did have a lot of trouble looking for the right spots to put the reinforcements, wanting to both pressure the player and make the seize point easier to reach than to rout the enemy.
I’ll definitely take these words into account when I do redesign the chapter.

Honestly I’ve been debating doing this for a while now, ultimately it just came down to whether or not it would make her too good, I’ll test it out along with a few other ideas for Sagiita, since she largely is the character who is most likely to be benched other then maybe Sal.

that’s just a chapter thing, no idea what causes this but it’s always been a thing with this particular chapter of the hack.

overall chapter three was something that I’ve kind of been holding off on remaking lol, I knew I probably should but that chapter was something that I repaired many times and remade more than any other map so I was largely done with it for a while. I’ve had a long enough break from that danged chapter so I’m probably going to remake it by next release.

I believe it’s due to something with either his stats or level, a different exp system is used in this hack, modeled closely after the Fates exp which rewards using different units by giving over-leveled units slower exp yields sometimes not even gaining any exp.

I didn’t think about including such information, I’ll definitely add it since I’m a big believer of providing as much information as possible to the player.

as always don’t worry about it, feedback is appreciated no matter what day it is, unless you give feedback just before a new release I’ll be able to take it into account, and don’t worry it’ll be a while before I get another patch out.

3 Likes

Host of the Dark 0.5 is live! With some personal matters going on I couldn’t quite get more than 2 chapters and 2 more map revamps done but on the brighter side HotD will be appearing at FEE3 this year! :tada: :tada: :tada:

Many story changes were made, both small and large so if you weren’t initially interested in the story I recommend you give it another go!

4 Likes

Just a small update, the next patch may roll out a bit later than normal due to the addition of supports and multiple chapter additions. I won’t hold my breath for it to be ready in time for the FEE3 presentation

(which, unless for some reason something happened during submission has been submitted)

Overall I want to focus on making HotD a fun but challenging hack with a story that intrigues and I hope that the next update and beyond will accomplish that.

I’d also hopefully like to get some feedback on the story in the coming months as I build up to the climax of the story and Sal’s journey.

3 Likes

Don’t fret I’ve played the 2.0 version, it’s much much much better than the original.

Quick note though: In part 1 there’s a map where you need sieze village in some turns…
a) delete the ballista in the south, it’s just a dickmove
b) make the time requirement more obvious. I failed the first time because I didn’t catch “do it in X hours” means “sieze in X turns”. An event saying “oh no the timer’s about to run out” would also be nice.

2 Likes

Hello! I appreciate you giving the time to give some pointers!

On the ballista in the corner, the intent is to keep Max in check while also not being a huge danger for other units, once recruited the intended strategy was to use Tobias’s summons to bait the ballista while Max is able to get into kill range and get the master seal.
However, I do see your point and will take into consideration changing it for something else entirely.

as for the turn requirement. I did, to put it bluntly. unless I am mistaken in the most recent patch of Host of the Dark there are dialog boxes at the beginning of most maps telling you necessary information and the time limit is among one of the pieces of information I felt was necessary.

again, thank you for your time and I do hope you’re enjoying the hack so far!

2 Likes

Also time is too short.
My only strat was to crit the boss with Max and drop Sol there. Give like two turns more.

The ballista has a chest.
I want that chest.

2 Likes