[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

No offense, if the problem I am trying to solve is to add a new character to the game with a summon ability. Then saying to not add them is just a stupid response.

To add them into the game I had to overwrite two characters, so that has been done. While also voiding a third simply because I didn’t like the character, so there is more than one blank character slot on the list. Though the issue persists with the summons not working properly, so I am still looking for a solution to the summoning issue.

It’s not. You’re trying to add characters to a game that has already pushed the limits of the GBA so hard that it can’t anymore. The reason why you haven’t before probably boils down to not having pushed the character limit like Vision Quest has.

From my own investigating the issues with the summons have nothing to do with the character limit and everything to do with how the “NAME.en=Summon Skill: Edit Summoned Class” and other summoning related patches alter the game.

After fixing these things, I got the summons working.

You revised your comment mid me writing mine, sorry(And again)

Well, at least you got it working. I generally wouldn’t recommend editing already finished hacks, since funky stuff like you ran into could happen.

2 Likes

Who knows, I may have broken something by making the changes I did. So I will find out, and see if I might need to make additional changes down the road to the game. Though at the very least, since I found the root of the issue it’ll be an easier fix if that does happen.

Not editing hacks? That’s like saying not to edit skyrim mods, half the fun is trying to make things work that shouldn’t.

I mean, you do you, I’m just saying that I don’t recommend it, not saying you shouldn’t. You’ll run into problems like this, again due to being finished and not intended to be edited.

I haven’t done any Skyrim modding, but I’m sure the same thing applies, unless it’s made to be tinkered with, you’ll run into issues.

The difference is that Skyrim is a AAA game, while Vision Quest is a hack / fangame. It’s moreso to respect the hack creator, you know.
Alas, I can’t prevent you from doing that but let’s just say you won’t get any results about asking help from something the creator already insisted of not doing.

1 Like

That’s a rather odd interpretation.

As I see it, the medium of games exist to tell stories in a way other mediums can not due to the level of interactivity you get to have in the story. So by making changes that do not disrupt the story, I am in no way disrespecting the author and I find it odd you take offense to this.

If you look back at the initial post before I solved the problem myself, I was asking why there was an issue with the games summons. Which got explained by a user as being character related, to which I discovered was not the case. That more or less sums up the entire discussion, as it had nothing to do with asking for help from the creator. Simply asking why something didn’t work because at the time I did not know.

The author never expect other people to make changes on their work, and it’s just a matter of like you know, decency? Even though you’re making changes that do not disrupt the story, you’re still putting something that the author doesn’t even intent to put into the game. All power to you but I just find this weird-- I guess I’m not the type to shove my OCs into other people’s creation unless they allow it openly. I feel it’s fair game if the game has avatars, at least.

1 Like

Thank you for the brilliant hack, Pandan & Friends!

Up until now I hadn’t tried a single hack, but went looking for recommendations and Vision Quest generally came up as a good one. I haven’t played Thracia 776 yet and I’ve got a slight itch to now, since there’s clearly a good bit of influence from it here (and I’ve been seeing bits of Excelblem’s playthrough, too…)

One interesting quirk of the game was that I ended up playing way more quickly than I was used to - the only chapters I took more than 11 turns on were the last 2 from Part 1! There was a lot of pressure to play fast and aggressively to get all the shiny things. And I’m a total magpie.

Warp/Rescue staves getting 15 durability was cool - made it feel less bad to use them for fancier manouvers. I felt like having a Thief in parts 1/2/4 was kinda compulsory with all the amazing stuff you’d miss out on without them - that and a Lv5+ Rogue’s ability to steal weapons/staves made them god tier after a few body rings imo!

Part 3 really shone for me - the way I’d been playing Parts 1/2 went totally out of the window, and I really enjoyed the reduction in managing shopping/the inventory since it was just a matter of working with what I had and what enemies dropped. I was wondering if there’d be a formal fight between the units I’d used in Part 2 and Part 3 at some point which would’ve been cool - but really enjoyed it anyway!

The writing was great - loved the world building, loved that characters generally weren’t overly trope-y, and the inclusion of themes that would make Nintendo squirm these days gave things gravitas (the supports had some real gems in - Michael and Bulan’s relationship was pretty great) - the cast was massive, and many units really gave me headaches around whether I should use them or not!

I know the sequel’s cancelled - but really hope you keep on creating things in some way shape or form. this hack was more enjoyable to me than most mainline games I’ve played and while I’m a bit sad to reach the end, it was a really cool experience!

7 Likes

Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed.

Thracia is fun, it plays a lot differently than VQ but you’ll probably pick up on some of the ideas I cribbed from it (namely the layout of the opening map, the “Thracia” trade system, among a few other odds and ends).

I try to keep active when I can. We’ll see what happens!

3 Likes

I have only played vision quest once during lockdown and it was my first romhack ever, Absolutely lovely experience, Even if I don’t remember much of the story since its been like 3 years I know I was invested. One woman who stand out to me tho was Zoya! Still remember her killing her sister, her cheese and wine conversation with Lesley and me seeing her in the screenshots section and being like “I hope she’s recruitable” and being amazed by her portrait lmao. A little sad that her endings are realistic, thought she would’ve gotten the guy she wanted or anything that is basically like “She finally got what she have dreamt about for years, a really giant imported cheese wheel and comfortably ate it with [support] during the anniversary of her sisters death” or something lol

Anyways here’s some quick fanart from last year and about three days ago
Last year

Recently

Was gonna make more fanart of Bulan and Natsuko but drawing tablet broke lmao sorry

16 Likes

is anyone having the same problem as me? my screen turn black and freeze after Storch’s got his promotion item. The previous patch was not like this🥲

out of topic, Bulan,Sri,Dewi,Zuljalal,Surya and Ruslan sound like Malaysian-Indonesian and a state called Kuching actually exist. Are you asean?

Ooooh great Zoya fanart, massive love on that :heart_eyes:
Ah, about Malaysian-Indonesian names, I was mostly responsible for those because I’m from Indonesia. iirc Pandan also consulted about Indonesian names for some characters, like Kir’s wife.
Also correction; Kuching is not a state, but a city in Malaysia.

4 Likes

Hi, does anyone know how Vision Quest applies Hard Mode bonuses? I’ve been trying to calculate it with respect to bosses but I’m having a hard time with it.

If you crack open FEBuilder and look at the “chapter editor”, you can see the number of autolevels applied for hard mode in each chapter.

I didn’t disable variance, so the numbers may not always be consistent, so enemies and player units loaded in with hard mode bonuses may have some variation in their stats on each reload.

Hi, I’ve had a few people ask me about applying my growth modes select patch (below) to Vision Quest, so rather than having to explain it each time, I decided to share a ups patch with the patch already applied (no other changes have been made). This allows you to select between random growths, fixed growth, 0% growths and 100% growths at the start of the game.

download ups patch:

5 Likes

thank you very much my friend

hey so i got a bug where natsuko won t level up past 10 any fixes

My apologies, but I have not played this hack, so I do not have a fix for you. All I did was apply the patch, and check that it worked correctly. I have not encountered any bugs with the patch in other roms, so it is likely something to do with Vision Quest. Either the patch conflicts with something or it is an external bug.