[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

I havent attempted adding the custom sprites yet that Kai sent, but just out of curiosity because this would be an insane amount of work, is there enough “room” on the rom to add a custom sprite for every character in the game? Or does that take up more space than same spires with different pallettes?

Palettes take up only 0x20 bytes of ROM space, an uncompressed battle animation sheet takes up 0x2000 bytes. A battle animation sheet can store only a few graphical cels of the animation – Even in some of the most ideal circumstances with extensive reuse between the cels, when someone is actually trying to optimize the sheets to not be too spacious and so forth -

solm_sp1 Sheet 1 solm_sp1 Sheet 2

There’s not much to be done, and the animation will take up multiple sheets.

However, to answer the question: The GBA trivially supports ROMs/cartridges up to 32 megabytes in size. It’s not unlikely that there’s enough room to add custom sprites for everyone, but it might require re-arranging the game’s assets so that there’s enough continuous space to use if the end-of-ROM space is insufficient.

4 Likes

Ugh tell me if I should start a FEbuilder noob thread to ask this stuff, but I guess it is specific to this rom. I’m attempting to add some of Kai’s palettes to the game. In the FEbuilder palette editor, for some characters there is a “Promoted Class” palette that you can edit, but for a lot of characters its blank. For example below, Nazar I can’t tell which Promoted Class field to upload the new palette to? Do I just choose any of them? Whereas Lera, you can clearly see which one to use.

Or below, I know for sure Larisa appears as a pink armor in game, but theres no palette set. Unless its set up to sort of use a generic armor knight and borrow the palette from the other tier?

I’ve asked Kai about this, but it appears some of the new palettes must have new animations, i.e. Storch’s redone sprite, or swapping in assassin sprite for the rogues, is this an additional process?

Waaaaaaait hold up, unless I’m mixing up my roms here… Seems like Vision Quest v3 has more cosmetic updates than listed? I loaded an old save file; vernon has a beard, zoya’s helmet is different and Nazar has the incredibly dope berserker vest? I guess I don’t need to do all these manual updates after all!!!

Dude I’m discovering all these on my 4th playthrough, amazing job, adds so much personality to the game, feels like playing it for the 1st time again.

Random notes from this run thus far, just got to Part 2:

-I think Larisa might be the best unit in the game, absolutely disgusting, possibly a little too good :laughing:

-If I’m going to split hairs on balance, I think maaaaaaybe Hero’s have the short end of the stick as far as infantry tier 2’s. Game throws a ton of them at you, and Storch might as well be the best of them. Maybe it’s just my luck, but they dont feel any chunkier than swordsmaster, like they do in main series games. Gunnar is interesting, but the rest don’t standout to me stat-wise. But anyways, playing the game this many times, I find myself coveting the single-weapon crit infantry over mercs.

-Not sure if this is a bug, but thieves can escape through stairs even if an enemy unit is standing on the stairs

1 Like

Really enjoying this hack so far. Unfortunately I can’t post screenshots because my account isn’t a week old yet, but I’m just heading into chapter 4-3. It’s cool to get a growth unit this late in the game.

EDIT: NOOO I just found out that I can only use one Kaya per character, I had four of these saved up for Sigrid. Dang.

2 Likes

don’t worry I went through the same five stages of grief when I tried kaya strats only to find out it only worked once lmao

Just got to chapter 3-3x, random feedback, man would it be nice to get Zuljalal or another sword user earlier. If Kusuma dies, that was your only sword user until 5 chapters in, and you get so many nice swords handed to you. 5 axe users for that 1 sword user for the first 5 chapters (Seruni being the 5th recruited in 3-4).

I don’t expect any changes I just had share lol :sweat_smile:

If Seruni counts as a sword user then surely Cajon and Kir count too? One aspect of Kir that I feel is very slept on is that, since he actually has strength, he’s a prime candidate for the brave sword. It takes a little bit of weapon rank grinding to get to B but it’s not like that’s a difficult proposition for a unit who can enemy phase relentlessly.

3 Likes

Can’t Seruni use swords right away? I generally promote late, so in part 3 i’m usually ready to promote a chunk of units at the end of 3-3x or before 3-4

I guess, overall in part 3, I’d prefer to be given more of the units earlier to add some variety. Like if you just took the 3 units (or just zuljalal and the mage guy) you get in the final chapter of part 3 and disperse them throughout earlier chapters.

I think 3-1 might be my least favorite chapter in the game sort of for this reason, the combination of having a preset loadout and being this far into the game needing a decent difficulty level, you’re stuck beating it the same way every time & its very costly losing anyone or any loot. It’s very linear feeling.

EDIT: wow brainfart i thought seruni was sword scout for some reason, so yeah, no darn unpromoted sword users!

Thanks, Pandan and Pushwall. I finished Vision Quest in about 8 months with 80 in-game hours. I played on Normal and liked the following things:

• Classic playstyle with fewer skills
  • Varied map objectives
  • Good unit diversity
  • Good unit stats for Ironman (although I did not)
  • Chapter 3
  • Narrative

Here is my final squad and a screenshot of a difficult map.

Unit Summary

4 Likes

Love the spreadsheet, thanks for playing!

2 Likes

I had some questions but you’ve already answered some in your Youtube video and the rest in the post above. Thanks for making this.

1 Like

Congrats on the run!

I had similar experience with the units as you describe on the spreadsheet. Other than Larisa. She got a few lucky levels for me and was insanely good.

If you ever decide to play again I humbly recommend promoting Esfir ASAP and rushing for Steal+ in Chapter 1. It changes the whole complexion of the game when you can yoink enemy staves and silvers. There’s so much good stuff to grab :smirk:

1 Like

If you ever decide to play again I humbly recommend promoting Esfir ASAP and rushing for Steal+ in Chapter 1. It changes the whole complexion of the game when you can yoink enemy staves and silvers. There’s so much good stuff to grab :smirk:

I can see that now because I stole a grand total of 3 weapons.

1 Like

Hello - having a ton of fun with this so far, but think I encountered a bug. I just completed 2-3 with lv 20 soldier Zoya, who had an A-rank in lances, then promoted with Earth Seal at 2-3x base. After promotion to halberdier, she now has C-rank. Has anyone else experienced this happening?

Hi there. First of anything good work. I haven’t play this yet but the amount of love that people have for this mod is proof enough of how amazing this is. When you ask anywhere this is the first hack that everybody suggest you and you should be proud of that. I will be given it a try soon.
Anyway i don’t know is this is the best place to address a problem, or if this are already addressed and i’m just spamming useless feedback, but i do find some odd behaviors in the extra support section. The problems shows as soon as i open the game for first time and don’t seem to disappear after the first few chapter.Osane’s sprite is missing and Boscoss entry is duplicated. I’ll send a pic as soon as i figure out how.
Sorry for any misspell or grammar error, English is not my native language. Again amazing work and thanks for the efforts

Thanks for playing and reporting.

This is a known issue – because the game is set up to support more player units (FE8 base rom enables up to 50, VQ has a hack that bumps it up to 62), some visuals break. This is presuambly because the game can only load so many images at once, and since the cast uses diverse map sprites, sometimes this gets garbled unfortunately.

I don’t know if anyone has looked into fixing this since I know now that the tech to bump up the unit count is publicly available.

It doesn’t impact the playability of the game, only readability of units in this menu and in late game preps.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again.

Understood, thanks for the quick answer

1 Like

By the way those sprites you drew are awesome. Especially like your promoted Surya and assassin style Esfir :+1:

1 Like