[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

Hey I had a great time playing your hack! Its a very grounded story, vast majority of the characters(and its a huge cast lol) felt like they belonged within, really good variety within the cast- sometimes the naming schemes felt off imo but thats pretty minor. Awesome sound track, really liked the pokemon tcg and custom ones youve created here. The little historical/travelogue style intro to various regions was immersive, really nice touch.

Gameplay stuff- Im someone who just uses favourites almost never looking at stats lol, I primarily used the opening cast, Storch, Arckady, Marlen, Larissa, Vagelis, Esfir and Lera and Naia later on I think I used them almost every map just for reference- played on hard difficulty they all did great, I never felt they were awful at any point. I could post my final team if any one wants lol. The maps themselves felt like a good mix, It seemed to encourage splitting up at various points, and the maps were fairly dense which I like; makes for more intricate movement choices.
These were my 3 favourite maps-
1-5 Good setup within story, liked the 3 paths that were narrow which made it tough to bunker up especailly with the shot clock on
1-7 Very Aesthetic map, rain, fog and lake with longbow archer and double bosses in ruins also first run in with a lot of magic users
4-1x Nice concept with saving the green citizens, felt the pressure here

You got me hooked with a strong opening haha, that said the final series of maps were pretty routine. The enemy distribution late game didnt have enough magic, or killing threats imo

Overall though, I had a great time playing it- Loved the story itself, Storch being kinda dumb is fun to watch play out lol

2 Likes

Thanks for playing, glad you enjoyed it.

For the lategame, you felt it was too easy given the enemy types and their weapons? I was skeptical of putting too many mages because 1-2 is a pain to deal with usually, but I can see why they’d be more threatening.

2 Likes

For Natsuko’s light weight ability, it shows the difference for me on the map screen, but when I go into combat, it uses her original speed. Seems to be a bug
Vision Quest 1
Vision Quest 2

Borst has Nihil, so Light Weight and other skills don’t take effect.

2 Likes

Thank you! Didn’t notice that. Skill system is really cool

R button is OP

1 Like

Vision Quest is a crazy experience for me and it felt really enjoyable for me to enjoy. I got involved playing the hack after certain FE Tubers made a Playthrough of it which convinced me to play it and boy, it was entertaining for me. I once made a planned playthrough with an ideal team that I have in mind and would give them a chance so other FE players would decide to use them even they are overshadowed by other units from the beginning to the end.

Anyway, here’s my Final Team that I made during my planning phase and how they benefit in the long run.

Final Team

Vision Quest_01

Storch, A common man with a simple goal, I have seen many FE Lords who were mostly nobles and there are a couple of mercenaries who are the main characters. Not many of them are townsfolk, to begin with like Alm who lives among the commoners but secretly a nobleman from an opposing nation in Valentia. Storch feels like a unique type of character who was born a commoner and nothing special about him. Just a simple man wants to do the job and live a simple life. He became a powerhouse with Strength for days and managed to reach him to Level 20 in part 1 after getting kills with every boss kill and chip experience with the chance to be an experienced Gladiator with both Swords and Axes S-Rank. Paired him up with Kusuma and liked the support conversations for them and got the paired ending for the both of them. Even Augustyn would be proud of Storch and his exploits.

Vision Quest_20

Titus the Baron is very entertaining to use. Couldn’t get the actual final stats in the epilogue and only got the endgame stats ending it. He is everything that Edelgard wanted in Three Houses and he’s the essence of Lord Farquaad incarnate. Paired him up with Zoya and got their paired ending. Titus is a Jack-of-Trade as a promoted unit is very useful and he’s fun to use. Can’t wait for what becomes of him in the Sequel.

Vision Quest_02

Chief Waluyo, or Wally for short, is a good character and unit at the same time. Loved the part 3 segment with him being the main character and then hold him off in Part 4 to give all of my other units some time to gain support points. I’m lucky enough to get a B-Support with Michael in Part 3. Gave plenty of stat boosters to him to make up for putting him on the sidelines and not bringing him with more leadership stars to ease the stress for me. But it made it a little challenging for me which is good. Can’t wait to see his five children in the sequel.

Vision Quest_03

Cassius has a gimmick as a Druid while acting as a summoner is an interesting combo in any kind of FE Hack. Used him as his only Dark Magic-User and loved him when he summons a chicken. A fricking chicken! THE most hilarious poultry joke I have ever seen. Only got a C-Support with Tien, couldn’t get him to a B-Support fast enough. Want to know what happened to him after the gaiden chapter.

Vision Quest_04

Duck aka Daryl is a good unit to have as if you want to have an Axe Cavalier on your team and he’s got an eyepatch. Gave him a kaya booster and he’s gaining levels like a good lad. He was originally going to be a main character in the making but became a side character with a backstory from the past that he doesn’t want to talk about. His support with Mango explains his backstory and how he lost one of his eyes and learning to let go from the past. It’s worth using him and he’s a good well-written character.

Vision Quest_05

Mango aka Marjorie may be overshadowed by a good Arckady, Honeydew, and Gunnar when you promote them into a Hero. I decided to add her to my team and she’s really good if puts the effort into it. Gave her a Kaya booster and she will become a really offensive and defensive hero at the same time. Supported her with Duck and it’s the same for her.

Vision Quest_06

Tien from Dragon Ball and DBZ? How did you end up in the FE Universe? Did that last Kikoho blast on Nappa and decapitation of your wrist isekai’d you into this universe. Anyway, Tien is overshadowed by Sigrid as an Est and being overpowered. So I can prove that Tien can be a useful Light and Staff user at the same time. Paired him up with Hokulani to explore the state of Mahala and learn a little more about the twin children of Queen Akela and the conditions of South Mahala. He’s got a paired-up ending with Hokulani and let’s say that you need to see this for yourself.

Vision Quest_07

Power Pegasus Knight is very strong to have. Hokulani can be very useful to get her to deal big damage to the enemy and she slaps as a second flyer for me after I got Ruslan. Paired her up with Tien and, well, the same for my unit review for Tien. She struggles with speed and gives her a few Speedwings will make her capable of double enemies or get a lucky crit on your enemy. She’s a fun unit and can’t wait to see her three children in the sequel.

Vision Quest_08

Otilie is Esfir, but better if you don’t want to bother training Esfir. She is very useful in utility usage and can steal almost anything when boosting her CON. Paired her up with Osane, nothing else, and B-support her with Hokulani. Best Thief girl I had and she got S-Rank in Swords only.

Vision Quest_09

Ruslan is so overshadowed by Helga after you got him and was considered a Discount version of her. But I used him to prove that Ruslan can be a great Wyvern Lord when trained and that being a lance-user is not a downside. Paired him up with Dewi and surprisingly enough, there isn’t a paired ending for the both of them. Only C-support both Sri and Kir. Give him a whirl and he will turn out well enough in the end.

Vision Quest_10

Dewi the Kuchugi Troubadour can be very useful as a good dodge tank. Her light magic can be useful which getting easy hits on your enemies too. She helps me pinch with healing, and her talk conversations with Sri are very insightful when you deploy them when fighting the Kuchugi in Part 2. Good unit to have as a rider and healer at the same time.

Vision Quest_11

Anisa, Kuchugi first, Nevanese second. a Very skilled and speedy archer to have in Part 3, and in Part 4, you get a heartwarming reunion with her brother, Hollace, which I supported into an A-Rank. Don’t you ever think that you’re the only person left when taken into new territory with no family members reminding and you are raised by the ones who kidnapped you and became part of your kin? Then years later, you are greeted by a person who is not familiar with turns out to be your long-lost relative who’s been alive after the incident years ago. You get that feeling that brought a tear to your eyes because that feels relatable in real life. Sorry to get so sentimental here, you’re looking at my final team, right? Anyway, Anisa is a really good archer with Brave Bow and she would be your preferred archer when not training Cashew.

Vision Quest_12

Good ol’ Murder Hollace. This big fella gets overshadowed by Larisa and being Sword-locked at the same time. Well, he can be very useful in a good way, and by giving him a few speed wings, he can overcome by not getting doubled by enemies faster than him. His supports from Zoya can be brought up in his story of how he became a Sword Knight and his favorite is fishing. I mean, who can deny a person who loves fishing, he’s like Ronan from Thracia 776 but as a Sword Armor. A very defensive unit, give him a try and he will be very good in the end.

Vision Quest_13

Osane the Staff Mage. She can be a powerhouse Sage when promoted if you not going to bother an RNG screwed Lera or training her. Her Staff usage will rise very fast thanks to her Discipline skill. Paired her up with Otilie.

Vision Quest_14

Sri the Bow Scout. He packs a punch when using the Killer Bow. Buddied him up with Nazar, hope that a paired ending will be there, shame that they didn’t get to be drinking pals in the end. Would be nice to have.

Vision Quest_15

Zoya, the second coming of General Lesley. You can’t deny Little Red Riding Soldier when you see one. She is super good when you got good stats on her and I feel bad for her when her only sister is dead at the end of Part 1. So to prove that to everyone that denies her, I made her paired up with Titus to learn her history in the past and how she ended up as a soldier of Belaro. Will we face her in the sequel either as an enemy or an ally, only time will tell.

Vision Quest_16

Kusuma, The Sword Scout, and the sister of Hindrawan. Not many of the FE players see her as another sword user, but I see her as a unit and a support partner to Storch. Her solo ending mentions a certain person in Belaro and there could be a chance it’s Storch. Think of it as a Bartre and Karla paired ending. Hindrawan would be very proud of her younger sister as a partner in crime with Storch, bet she’s chatting with Augustyn in the afterlife. Hope we can see an older Kusuma in the sequel alongside Storch.

Vision Quest_17

Kir, Axe Armor, and soon-to-be Family-man. You can’t deny a useful Axe User like Dalsin from Thracia 776. A second Armor Knight for me to have and he’s so good in Part 3 and useful in Part 4. Gave him stat boosters to keep up with the others for being on the sideline for a little too long. Can’t wait to see his child in the sequel as an ally or enemy.

Vision Quest_18

Nazar, A once pirate turned soldier. You can’t deny a powerhouse of an Axe user who can crit. He’s low on the defense, but he’s an HP sponge and attacker to have in Part 1. Paired him up with Sri and well, you see the Sri unit review so I don’t need to repeat it.

Vision Quest_19

Michael the Bard of Freyung. Useful in Part 3, put him on the sidelines to make room for supports for the others in Part 4. Already got the skills he needs in the end.

I had fun with this game and enjoyed it. Vision Quest feels like an Open-ended masterpiece and I’m not pulling any punches here. For the music choice, you chose a nice variety set of music and I find it very enjoyable. Give it an A+ for music choice and gameplay gimmick.

P.S. I used Gunnar as a placeholder during my playthrough until I got to Mango’s chapter and his promoted vanilla Hero sprite seems to be a regular standard. If I were to give you suggestive feedback, I would recommend a Nuramon Hero sprite or a Raven Armor coat sprite to give him a little epic. It’s just a suggestion, up to you to decide whether or not when it comes to updating it in the near future, not making you overstress the little details. Anyway, enjoyed the ROM hack and will one day come back to it for the next Final team that I have in store.

1 Like

I have no idea if this has been reported yet but.

typo

Duck became a Fisheman
I think this is missing an R there. Again sorry if this is already fixed.

1 Like

You’re misreading it. The r is there, it’s just that particular font making it particularly close to the m.

2 Likes

Oh my lord, I dun’ goofed, thanks for pointing that out for me.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m going on memory here, but I only remember a couple reaver weapons and killers. Which not every enemy needs, but if theres no magic either than its easier to tank. It might have been answered before- with an ending like that you are strongly pushing a sequel it seems.

1 Like

Okay, essay time.

This is easily the best hack I’ve played so far, better than most vanilla FE games too(duh, it’s a low bar). The story was engaging, the maps were, usually, at least okay, and the music was great. The original tracks especially. My favorite track in the game is Oasis Quest and I’m not really sure why. I just like it. Chill desert romp. The use of Ken’s theme for Storch being epic was also great. I get that it was probably meant more as an end-of-act map theme, seeing as how it’s also used for 3-E, but personally it felt like Storch’s theme.

First criticism I’ll bring up is that this game is looooong. By the end I had clocked in just under 80 hours, not counting the time lost when I was forced to reset maps. I don’t mean the game should be made shorter, but… this game is a real commitment to finish. Might actually be longer than Radiant Dawn.

Now, balancing. I thought this game is kinda all over the place when it comes to balance for, well, everything. It’s not the sort of thing that brings down the experience, but more like “this unit is lacking” or “what’s the point of this weapon”. I played on difficult, so that’s probably the source of most of my issues with the game balance. There were many times I thought the game was too hard and didn’t see a good, safe method of clearing maps, but there were just as many, if not more times I thought the game was too easy. If I played normal, the hard maps would probably feel more like they’re meant to, but then even more of the game would be too easy. A tough dilemma.

Act 1

Act 1 was like FE6 earlygame without Marcus. Everyone’s hitrates were unreliable when I needed them to be, and I didn’t have enough ways to increase them. Storch’s charisma is not quite enough help once big bosses with lots of leadership appear on the map. Additionally, he can’t benefit from his own charisma, so his hitrates in particular were a problem. I don’t understand why his prf rapier-like weapon needs to be less accurate than the standard iron sword, especially when the things it’s effective against often use lances.

Quick tangent before talking about act 2. I don’t think leadership stars are a good mechanic after playing this game. On your own units, it basically means anyone with any leadership at all may as well be a force-deployed unit for the rest of the game. I’d be stupid to not stack those +5 hit leadership stars as much as possible after struggling for reliability in act 1. I found Titus to be a pretty lackluster unit. Does okay magic damage, but is slow and not nearly as bulky as any other armored unit. Can’t kill by himself without dire thunder. I didn’t want to deploy him, but I had to anyway because of his leadership. I’ve heard that he’s an excellent nosferatu user after promotion, but I don’t remember when your first nos tome is. The first time I got one was act 4. On enemies, leadership means that taking out specific enemies will lower the enemies hit and avoid. However, these bosses are usually the last enemy you face anyway, or are someone you’re supposed to run away from, so this tactic never becomes a strategic decision. Even in the second-to-last map with the wyvern lord boss with 5 stars and the gate defender with 3 stars, the wyvern lord charges at you so you won’t get to the gate defender without killing the wyvern lord first anyway. In summary, leadership just limited my deployment options and made hitrates unreliable in act 1 and 3.

Act 2

Act 2 is an odd one. By the end of act 1 the units I had trained had good hitrates, and in act 2 these units continued to excel. Then the desert started. Kitozawa is epic. I never really tried to understand what he was trying to say, though, as he was just too much of a meme to take seriously. 2-3 was where I promoted Storch, and this changed everything. He was so powerful at this point that he could solo the whole rest of the game, though I hadn’t quite realized this yet. The desert maps’ spread out side objectives helped with this.

Also, 2-3x is not fun. While I loved there being more Kitozawa for no reason at all, the map quickly extinguished my enthusiasm. The main issue was that it was a desert map, in fog, with enemy fliers. I think there were even falcon knights? I don’t quite remember. Enemies flying out of the fog and doubling my units while I could barely move sucked. This map was a catalyst for me having Storch solo the game, as I had him deal with most of the map by himself due to this feeling unfair. Storch was my only unit who was strong, fast, and bulky. All of his stats were high and he has 1-2 range with hand axes, so he pretty much single-handedly turned the game around from FE6 Marcus-less to standard FE7, with Storch being Marcus. I gave him boots whenever I could.

After the desert arc is over, act 2 is suddenly very easy. Probably just because Storch is Storch, but also that the last few maps could be narrowed down to a single “main” path to the objective, allowing a single strong unit to do the bulk of the fighting.

Act 3

Act 3 is massive whiplash. It has much of the same issues that part 1 did, but this time it’s more like FE6 with Marcus thanks to Waluyo. However, not only were hitrates not reliable, but now weapon uses were a problem. You have 3 axe users right away, and I felt I was not receiving enough axes for them. On the contrary, there were tons of swords, but only one sword user who was weak, not fast enough to double, and had no bulk. Promoting Kir really helped so that he could start using this big pile of swords i was amassing while running out of axes. At this point i wasn’t resetting when units died because I knew I would eventually return to my vastly superior units from previous acts. Reaching side objectives felt impossible in this act. I remember specifically there was a map where I could recruit a bow scout and a shaman, but the bow scout died on turn 2 and the shaman turn 3. Enemies were far too dangerous to advance that quickly.

Act 4

In Act 4 I’m fatigued from act 3 and solo as much as possible with Storch to get the game over with, ignoring side objectives as whatever they might provide won’t matter. One map I was particularly confused about was the prison map. Why am I rewarded with boots, arguably the greatest reward you could possibly give the player, for skipping the map and seizing ASAP? Stealing the body ring off the boss is a much bigger ask. After that, I discussed the penultimate map already, and the endgame map looks like it will be a map, but is over in 4 or 5 turns because the final boss just charges at you through all his guards. Why? Most of the map is rendered pointless by him doing that.

Some smaller miscellaneous points

I know Arckady was supposed to be buffed in 2.0, but he doesn’t feel much better. He’s still this guy who’s advantage is his speed, but doesn’t double. The reaver 1-2 axe prf wasn’t as big a help as I thought it would be.

You seemed to want cavaliers to not be the best combat units, but Sri was my next best combat unit next to Storch, having both high str and spd alongside bow use. The main reason I think
he’s so good and wasn’t just blessed was that you gave him quick burn, an insane skill that
makes him reliable when no one else is, and excellent supports with other mounted units. Lategame his avoid was always close to or above 100.

Rakkaus is insane. He had better str and spd than Nazar who I was training extensively at that point, and it’s also the same map where menahan and his squad join who seemed pretty weak but at least somewhat serviceable.

Erasmus is epic because he is very good and his name is fun to say. ERASMUS!

Mage-effective weapons were pretty pointless. Mages are usually onerounded anyway, and these effective weapons were not strong enough to oneshot them, so I never found a use for them.

There is a strange fixation on steel blades. So much so that when Gunnar is identified as “the one with an affinity for steel blades”, that could have meant Storch, Hollace, or Mango.

The story spends a LOT of time on food talk. It’s nice and all, but it’s not what I’m playing the game for and it isn’t relevant to anything in the story.

S rank weapons have 15 uses and some give valuable speed boosts, but they’re not the best weapons in the game as they might have been intended. Brave weapons still outclass them, and they’re only B rank!

Early on there were many status staff enemies who had stealables. This disincentivized killing them and wasn’t fun to play around.

What is the point of the Main Gauche? What does it help you do? I don’t understand it at all.

The gem tier of weapons is a bit redundant for player units as they’re basically just more accurate, lighter steel weapons. They do make weapon triangle worth taking advantage of when on enemies, however.

The game’s ending has so much sequel bait that it makes itself an unsatisfying end to the story. Endgame X on top of Titus’s final scene doesn’t help, though I understand the novelty of having an Endgame X chapter. It all makes the ending feel like if FE6 ended when you kill Zephiel, and Idunn was sequel bait. Something short and sweet like Zephiel’s scene at the very end of FE7 would have sufficed.

I tend to lean more into criticism than praise, so I’ll end off by repeating that I enjoyed this game thoroughly. Best hack I’ve played yet, and probably for a long time.

Good hackrom mister cheese and wine man.

5 Likes

After playing through it again, I was really shocked at how sad

Summary

Otille and Arkady’s ending was. I haven’t seen endgame X yet and I am going to get it now knowing that Radoslav is a requirement - I am assuming her disappearance will be dealt with there… :frowning:

3 times over and I still am amazed at how well Titus is written. Storch gets his deserved recognition but damn, every time, when the

Summary

cracks start showing and he becomes more and more paranoid… solid. I’ll never forget when I decided late to pair Titus and Helga, and on the penultimate level, they got their A support. I decided to read their support before the ‘Talk’ and what an absolute rollercoaster that experience was. Headcanon explained that it was a flashback and a reference point Titus was thinking about when they were talking. Just… damn man.

It’s also very odd now where I’ve gotten an older wyvern fellow killed on endgame 3 times in a row too. Each in different locations and all on poor damn luck lmao. Each time I’m like 10 turns in and am like “fuck it” haha. Maybe it’s cause I’m like Wally and dislike spicy food.

Edit: Which wholesome endings are everyone’s favorites and why is it Sarka and Erasmus?

2 Likes

The only wholesome ending I got with the paired ending is Storch and Kusuma.
This is the only paired ending that Storch ending with a female and ended with an happy ending.
Make me want to see older Storch and Kusuma in the sequel. As long as Pandan knows what he’s doing when he mentions 10% of the OG cast from Vision Quest will return and be playable.

1 Like

I actually hope all we get is a reference to those two. They also fit thematically so well for many different reasons which is why I imagine it’s an actual ‘happy’ ending for them both. But… Storch’s story is done, at least I think so, but then again Pandan might pull out a double streak banger for the poor guy lol. But at the end of Vision Quest, no matter his ending, Storch is done with everything.

1 Like

Storch making a sudden radiant dawn-Ike entrance would be funny

2 Likes

I’m down with it.

Sometimes… sometimes Fire Emblem just makes me lol

5 Likes

Lucky number 12?
That’s some strange prophecy right there.

1 Like

Playing through, this is my first rom hacked FE game, and I love it so far! Never knew there were more GBA style FE games to play!

My only complaint so far is how many bosses you have charging you down and forcing you to finish the map before you’ve done everything. Ie - the first desert level. Maybe I’m alone here, but I have done as much boss abusing as possible and even with most of my characters being as strong as possible up to this point, I was not able to obtain everything or defeat all the enemies for exp before the boss forced me to take him down. Couldn’t get to the secret shop either. Maybe I just need to git gud but then again maybe the rushdown boss thing could be toned down a bit. So far it seems that way in most chapters and I’m like seriously? Again? I want to boss abuse characters at least a little and can’t haha :joy:

On a less related note, I love what you’ve done with characters and new units and everything. It’s pretty awesome. I happen to be a bit of an artist/cartoonist. I don’t do sprite work, but I have TONS of FE style character designs that I’ve always wanted to have in a game. If you ever want to work any of them in, (or are looking for some totally new designs, hit me up.) Here’s my a link to my deviantart with my collection of character ideas inspired by FE and other games/shows. (Just follow my profile to be able to view them) MetalDach - Hobbyist | DeviantArt

Like for real though, please let me know I’d literally almost die if these got put into a game haha

2 Likes