[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

titus, he’s not a bad unit actually he’s just like the guy in school/work that when the first time you see him you want to punch him in the face.

FINALLY! Someone gets it!!!

5 Likes

You must feel so validated rn.

3 Likes

I have a problem with chapter 1-4, after the battle and the conversation about cheese and wine with the two sisters i get a black screen that doesn’t disappear. Is there anyway to fix it? I have seen someone else with this problem too, is it common?

1 Like

Thanks for reporting. Are you on the latest version? This should be fixed. Alternatively, it could be emulator related (try mGBA)

You should be able to skip past it - try resuming at the chapter end and start to skip past it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply, i think i have the latest version. I was on VBA, is there anyway to move over save files from VBA to mGBA?

1 Like

Yes there is. Just put the ROM and save file in the same folder, make sure they both have the same name (minus the file type), then run the ROM using mGBA.

2 Likes

Thanks! was confused for a second on how to load up the save, since it wasn’t a state but it worked in the end

2 Likes

Make sure you back them up too! Don’t want a repeat of that guy whose saves corrupted on the last chapter…

1 Like

Around how long might it be until the next update is finished? I’m wondering if I should download this now or wait a few months after I’ve played other games before playing this one for the best possible experience.

1 Like

I’m on chapter 17 (2-5) and I’m stuck on the ally phase, all of the units are just grooving on the map now that Obermueller used his turn.

Update: I tried a few things and after trial and error, it looks like using the arena turn 1 (I warped Storch up there) is what caused the problem. Weird!

1 Like

I bet it was bugging out because Mango had nowhere to spawn!

1 Like

Good catch! I will need to change how she spawns. Didn’t foresee anyone so eager to use the arena on the first turn :wink:

Scub I’ve been slow so not for a while. I would not be surprised if I don’t get to v2 until 2021 with the rate I’m moving lately.

1 Like

Really nice game, had just started act 3 yesterday. I don’t know if this is a bug or not but everytime I press ‘B’ on a mounted unit after a support to Canto, it repeats the support conversation. Probably isn’t a bug tho?

Also, I like the fact that you talked about the green dessert “Pandan” in one of the dialogues as an Easter egg because of your username.

1 Like

It’s possible to ignore unit spawning restrictions, right? I think I played a hack where trying to block a reinforcement spawn didn’t work, the reinforcement just appeared and moved to the nearest unoccupied tile.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! It’s an issue with canto and the free support action - if you go into the trade window you can circumvent it. Known issue with minor implication.

Yeah I would need to load her in and move, that is how you get around people blocking spots.

2 Likes

Comment number 776

4 Likes

Is there a playlist of the custom music in this game? I’m in Ch. 19 (2-7) and this bgm slaps pretty hard.

1 Like

The sound room should already be unlocked.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I forgot the sound room was a thing. Thanks!

1 Like

I just blasted through the entire game in like 2 days. Was pretty good.

Speaking of the sound room, it has this gem that gave me a giggle. 1997 - Fire Emblem - Vision Ques kek kelikt

I didn’t take notes so this will be a bit vague other than some stuff near the end.

Overall I think it’s fantastic. Great characters, great story, great map design, great custom art, great music, the lot. I’ll try and break it down a bit.

Characters

Probably the only complaint I have about characters really is there’s kind of too many. Both in the literal sense that too many characters breaks GBA a little (prep menu etc) and I’d probably have to play the game 3 times over to use everyone I was remotely interested in. The latter’s not a real bad point but the limited support points caught me off guard here and I only managed to get one combined ending. Also you addressed this above, but yeah using an older version of the skill system makes some characters a tad redundant gameplay-wise.

Story

I thought the dialogue writing in general was great, and I enjoyed the frequent humour as well as the intertwining plots. I appreciated that you built out the entire setting/continent despite not even visiting most of it, which does wonders for any stories with political plotlines. I don’t have any real complaints but as a whole it did drag on a little length-wise, but that’s probably just the inclusion of the party split. Also not really story related but the animal names always made me laugh. Especially Festan’s.

Map design

For context do the usual recruit everyone/restart chapter deal, and then occasionally resorting to save states if it’s taking too long. I absolutely loved the variety in the maps. Almost every map had something interesting as a side objective and there are so many hidden interactions. Nothing felt particularly unfair, but I think people have mentioned above as well, the chicken map was quite tight for saving everyone and was one of the few maps I actually used save states on, the others being 3-1 and 4-E. 4-E was kind of weird. The emperor moved two turns before he said he’d start charging (his retainer moved after the warning instead) and it’s also the only map with any significant enemy leadership which caught me by surprise when WTA wasn’t enough to dodge anymore. Also super easy to cheese.

Custom Art

I’m not super certain on what’s F2U and what’s specifically made for this but in regardless all the custom art was great - nothing that looked super ammeter-ish. More often than not I was surprised at the lengths your team went to, with generic portraits for the chickens even.

Music

Custom music is always appreciated with ROM hacks and this certainly didn’t disappoint. Using the standard soundtrack with it didn’t sound out of place and a lot of the more obscure songs were really well chosen. The two vision chapters in particular were really helped by having appropriate BGM. I think this is more of a problem with the available sound fonts, but some songs didn’t convert so well and ended up really quiet, the Pokemon TCG ones all had this (props for using them though).

Also a couple miscellaneous issues:

Bromhilda

I figured there’d be some hidden event related to her (I did get the lance also) but I went out of my way to clear 4-6 without defeating her. Turns out she’s really weak to Sleep staves, just had to stop Custer from finishing her off…1997 - Fire Emblem - Vision Ques bromhilda is sleepyt
However, later on this happened:1997 - Fire Emblem - Vision Ques bromhildadiedt Some say she’s still sleeping.

And I also had a bug where the first time I started 4-E, pressing B to go to the map would instead go to the title menu. This didn’t persist though, and if I load the save now it won’t happen again. I can’t recall exactly but I’m pretty sure resetting the emulator and starting the chapter again removes it, but handing out all those stat boosters took so long so I lost track of what I did before I could view the map again.

So yeah, good job.

6 Likes