[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

Damn dude, that really sucks. Losing my save right before the end is like my biggest fear when playing a game. Unfortunately I’m only up to 3-6 but if you still need a save by the time I reach 4-6 I’ll post a link.

I can’t recommend making a folder of backup saves enough though, same with using savestates in conjunction with normal saves, especially when playing romhacks.

2 Likes

Hey Pandan!
First of all, congrats to you and the team for the hack you guys created. I’ve loved it so far!
I’ve encountered 2 issues thus far,both minor tbf and im sorry if anyone has already reported those.
The first one is about support dialogues. After having the dialogue with a unit, when i press B,the dialogue repeats itself unless i press Wait.
The second one is about chapter 1-11, specifically the Hero unit with the killer axe and the Kaya item. The issue is Otilie can’t steal it. I stole a Red Gem from a Sage so i don’t think the issue is Otilie’s. The steal option doesn’t even appear when next to him.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hey Krv - thanks for reporting. Sorry that happened to you. I’ve heard anecdotes about this, but it’s been inconsistent in how it is produced. My gut read on this is that it is caused by saves from prior versions getting transferred over to new versions, and some parts of the later chapters not liking this. Will keep exploring and testing, but my best advice is to keep save backups. Sorry that happened, but glad to hear you had a good time otherwise.

Understandable - thanks! This is a known issue as well. Are the units in question able to canto? I think you can work around this by trying to trade before canto’ing away. For 1-11, did Otilie outspeed the hero? That’d be my best guess as to why it didn’t work.

1 Like

Thinking back, i think the support thing happened with canto units so yeah. I’ve worked around it but i just thought I’d report it.
Also, the hero outspeeds Otilie so i feel stupid now haha. Thanks for the reply!

2 Likes

I don’t think it was caused by a discrepancy in the versions for me. I played the whole game on 1.17 (July 8, according to the UPS file), and I didn’t update while playing. Hopefully that’s useful information. And I suppose I’m going to get into the habit of keeping save backups too.

1 Like

That is helpful - thanks for reporting. Will look into it.

1 Like

Sorry I missed your last DM Jyrel.

2 Likes

Just completed hard mode, had an absolute blast with the gameplay and story. Easily one of the best hacks I’ve played thus far, kudos to pandan and friends! I do regret not iron manning my first playthrough, however, so perhaps a brief review is in order if I ever get around to replaying Vision Quest.

That being said, is there a sequel being planned for the distant future (ala radiant dawn)? There were a handful of loose plot threads and newly introduced plot points left in the dust by the epilogue, so I’m curious to know if these will ever be resolved.

3 Likes

Glad you had a good time!

Nothing formally planned, but we’ll see.

1 Like

Would you please strengthen the final boss Festan in V2?
Maybe we can reduce the weight of his dark magic tome.
I quite enjoy the hack.

1 Like

Good feedback. Alternatively, we can give the man beefier constitution to make him look more intimidating :sunglasses:

2 Likes

All good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey I had to share some thoughts on VQ because it’s just so freaking good! Thank you so much for all of your hard work :slight_smile: Really enjoyed the last two parts of chapter 1 and also enjoying the slightly gentler pace of chapter 2 so far. (reached the desert maps, so I’ve got a way to go).

Optional objectives on maps are super fun creating strategies for, especially two maps at the start of chapter 2 which I had to restart quite a few times to figure out how to do it without save scumming!

If I have any criticisms, I’d say that chapter 2 enemies are a bit too numerous and not strong enough - I’m playing on hard mode (admittedly I am not iron manning which I have seen was the point of VQ) but I’ve got some seriously god tier units up and running and I’m not getting punished for playing badly anymore unlike in the early game. My next playthrough I’ll give normal a go with an ironman run to compensate.

Finally I just promoted one of my characters whose stat spread just makes me laugh:

never seen such an average spread stat on a bishop before! (I haven’t given him any boosters either!)

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with you, part 2’s level curve is a bit flat. I plan on adjusting this in a future update to keep the challenge level consistent down the road. Glad you’re having a good time with it so far. Looking forward to hearing more feedback as you go along.

2 Likes

For me I like a good balance of turtle and charge toward you punches in my FE. I feel too much either way is not good so I understand the complaints and agree to an extent.

WITH THAT said however I understand the logic in game design and still love this hack.

2 Likes

he a big mane

2 Likes

For sure - I think there is def a balance to be struck. If a map gives me no reason to move forward, there is no incentive to take risks. While I think every map needs some anti-turtle incentive, it should also be reasonable to chug along at a slower pace (at times), or have an anti-turtle that is only relevant for a small portion of the map.

Ideally, the balance is in providing enough turns to allow for creativity in how you approach the problem, while also putting enough pressure that it isn’t trivial (ie like FE6 turn based gaiden requirements)

1 Like

Hi I’m currently at chapter 3-5 on the July 8th patch. Is it worth switching over to the newest patch? Will it break my save? BTW I’m having a blast so far and it’s been one of the best fire emblem experiences I’ve had!

1 Like

It might break your save, I’d recommend creating a copy just in case. There are a few small things that will make the back part of the game slightly better. You can read up to see some of the changes that were posted to see if it’s worthwhile for you to update.

Thanks for playing!

1 Like

Spent the morning reviewing the past month’s feedback. Hard to imagine over 70 survey responses, some of which are incredibly detailed and thorough. To anyone who took time to complete the survey, I really appreciate it.

I do want to provide a write up analyzing the data and laying out how I plan to address some of these as I begin work on the v2.0 release. Thankfully, many of the requested changes / issues mirrored my own thoughts, and there were not too many surprises overall.

My goal will be to do a write-up ahead of FEE3. Stay tuned, and please keep the feedback coming.

15 Likes