[FE8][Complete] Fire Emblem: The Four Kings (4/11/24 Update: Now With Weapon Reversal!)

Yeah unfortunately save points very rarely crash and I don’t know why. I wish I could figure out a consistent reason, since they’re otherwise so nice to have.

For chapter 18, I wanted to recapture the feeling of FE6 chapter 21 with all the wyverns descending upon you from the skies above. I did originally try it with wyverns every 4 turns, but felt that was too slow and changed it to every 3 turns. It’s definitely one of the hardest maps in the game though, but I love it.

Just finished the game, and that was probably my favorite hack I’ve yet played! I do still think Chapter 18 was awful with infinite reinforcements, but the way that the rest of the game handled reinforcements, long range tomes, status staves, and the large maps was great. This provided an incredibly unique experience, with all the personal weapons and the focus on large maps with long range weaponry. My favorite chapter would probably be Chapter 19, with all the side objectives and unique final encounter making a great impression.

On story, I think the story works great, as the arcs of the three brothers fit very well into the narrative, as well as Zach, Ava, Sebastian, and Ladon being excellent supporting characters. Other characters are also done excellently, like with Locritus and Ian, Zoe and Virgil, and Sarah and Jeremy for example. Supports are nice, short, and sweet, which is my preferred way of a hack doing them. The end of Walter’s growth was a bit rushed I think, with maybe some more deliberation on Walter’s end before Chapter 19 to make it better.

Great hack! Looking forward to more of your work in the future.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it! And don’t forget about both the post game trial maps and the prequel hack if you want more out of Ibril!

Also, I noticed that Mina’s Staff literally does not work. I tried using it and it softlocked the game. Might want to check on that.

Okay, that’s a bug I’ve never heard about before, so I think that’s a problem on your end? Since it works just fine on my rom, and nobody has reported it crashing the game before either.

I’ve been experiencing a similar problem. Mina’s staff will only let me “select” tiles with no units on them, and the text says “select a square to warp to”. Selecting a tile instantly halts the game. Aside from some minor bugs (and one of the save points in the prison chapter completely crashing the game) it’s been a pretty bugfree experience on the whole though.

Try using this patch?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16yhRmeIZUEypJZLhnnFxJToMb2RbKjZf/view?usp=sharing

That is the exact issue I had.

Hi, I just finished my replay (I wasn’t able to finish the game before and got my computer formatted, so this is the first time I finish this hack) on this hack and here some thoughts:

1. Plot wise, it was amazing. Especially, the Walter part where his ego is crushed to pulp by Ladon to show him there’s much more than a power to be an excellent warrior.

2. As for characters gameplay, its not something new for a large number cast to have many filler/overlapping characters. First of all, there’s so many overlapping roles here, especially staff users (Lydia vs Jeremy vs Alicia vs Regis vs Gideon and Zoe vs Nicole).
    There’s also many cavaliers here (Sarah, Bradley, Shaun, Colt) but each cavaliers has their own uniqueness, so its okay. 3 armor knights and 2 of them are useless imo, idk if it was me who can’t utilize armor knights better, or the class is just sucks that bad, or they are not just on par with other units here. Its just, their DEF is not that amazing, and they will die to magic attacks very easily. Their movement capability also sucks. Their combat capability also bellow average imo. The other 1, is an “super” Est archetype character and somehow promotes into a very versatile cavalier, so its kinda rewarding though to train her albeit so hard lol. I said super because it is really super lol. This unit joins with decent base stats for an Est Archetype character, not joining at last 2 chapters like Ests usually do, and has 60% growth on all stats except DEF and RES which are 40%.
    Out of the 3 Pegasus Riders, only Marcie is decent, as she can fill the slot as mage killer. Patty kinda underwhelming, since she is an armor killer unit, but her STR is not that impressive to deal enough damage to the armored units, esp on late game. Luceil, she is also borderline useless as a combat unit. Her personal weapon is kinda useless, since she can’t take too much hit anyway. Her base stats are horrendous for someone who joins 3/4 way of the game. Her growth is low but that is understandable as she is a pre promote.
    However, the most tragic character is Wilson. His role is filled by Ava, who has very early availability, has pick locking utility, has amazing growth and staff utility upon promotion. His only redeeming qualities is his personal weapon, which is basically a Brave Bow. He is also facing another fierce competition from Cielo, a mounted archer with a more useful personal weapon, 4 range attack, which give Cielo a niche role as chip damage albeit overpowered by Ava. If you decided to train and promote Cielo, he can also use sword for short range, not bow locked like Wilson. The only thing Wilson will do better than Cielo is he hits harder than him but you will sometimes find it harder to get to the position since he lacks Cielo movement and 4 range attacks.
    The most interesting unit in this hack is Shelby, there’s no debate on that. First, instating that of a knight to a mage, amazing, brilliant idea. His growth and personal weapon also support this role really well. Secondly, upon promotion, he becomes even better at this role with summoning and having a staff utility is always a nice thing, though it’s kinda sad he starts at D. Not the best, but not the worst, I’ve definitely seen worse (Yufin starts at E upon promotion).
    The other interesting unit is Zach, which is a Jaegen Archetype, but Rogue instead of Paladin, more to utility and chip damage instead of carrying the game like Jaegens usually do. I wish he is a bit tankier or his personal weapon can grants him additional evasion, so he can survive a couple more hits.

3. As for character as personality, I really like the way you portray Locritus and Ian, a nice representation of certain group of society. People always like if they can be represented in a creation somehow, so that’s a very good.
    Ava at first doesn’t look like a normal stereotype “from and always on the justice side” but looks like it as the game progress, which is sad. She lives as a bandit for her whole life, but she didn’t retain/have any violent nature/lack of manner at all, which also doesn’t depict her background as a former bandit.
    The other character are fine the way they are I guess, but I kinda surprised to see 2 Camus Archetype here though. I feel like 2 Camus redundant if you can just make 1 Camus but make his impact, especially his dying moments, super cool.
    The ones that I fell really like a filler characters (outside extra maps) are Hoff, Colt, Cindy, Candece, Victor, Ron, Chase, Bradley, Quartet Mages except Lydia, Cielo, Wilson, Emily, Harriet, Regis, Alicia, Elias and Terry. They don’t have any significance outside their joining chapter as far as I can remember.

4. As for character art, everything looks smooth or at least doesn’t look really rough, which is nice to see.

5. As for stages, I do think the difficulty sometimes spikes unreasonably high, namely the map with endless reinforcements, has many siege tome/debuff staff users and the last few chapters where everyone except magic unit has brave weapon. I do personally think the brave weapons on everyone on the map is really uncalled for (the more reason not to train your Armor Knight/General/low speed unit).
    For some the extra map, I think you could integrate it into gaiden chapters, that would be cool idea to give more rooms to those filler characters, instead of post game contents. Having Gaiden also allows those who joins recently to have more means to catch up with the existing units.

6. As for Personal Weapons, some personal weapons are OP (Holy Sword, Glaive, Tempest, Quake, Justice Pike, Skyshot), some are decent (Saber, Vouge) but some are borderline useless (Reflex Bow, Darklight). Reflex Bow kinda useless because of its very low might while Darklight decrease your hp every time you use it. If it was a siege tome or one of our unit can have provoke, I can justify it, but no, its a short range tome held by a super paper mage with average spd and luk.

Oh whoops, when I was trying to verify that bug earlier, I used the wrong version. This patch should fix it, so I’ve updated the link in the main post.

So I beat the game

Honestly overall a legit fun game. Pretty much every character felt fun to use as well as unique, the prf thing was a cool solution I hadn’t really ever considered as an option over something like personal skills, which was cool given that for a good portion of the game you actually did use every character. No spoilers but the “Gotoh” of this game being who it is was a cute touch in my mind (the final map was also a pretty cool twist on the classic “just kill the big boy” final chapter). The reinforcements were well telegraphed on the whole and I rarely felt completely bullshitted by them, but the dragons on the Ian map were a little overwhelming lmao. I dunno if it was intentional but I loooove how strong archers felt in this game, and it was done so without just giving them 1-range, which imo is a shit solution that ignores an intentional weakness given to them.

The enemies felt extremely powerful but I never felt like I wasn’t able to deal with them because my units also felt super powerful. The long range tomes and staves were kind of frustrating at points but I didn’t really feel there was any point where I didn’t have the tools to deal with them. Sleep being unrepairable made me kind of sad but I guess I can understand why.

The characters were fun. Supports were short and sweet but provided pretty good character to everyone. Didn’t have any characters that struck me as awful other than Vin feeling really tropey, on the whole I enjoyed the cast though. Story felt fine but I’m really not the person to ask about that, other than the intro dump at the beginning was pretty long and the rest of the story did a better job of actually getting me invested in the world.

I don’t think this is a game everyone will enjoy. I think some people just have an inherent hatred of ambush spawns and long range tomes, and you’re sort of forced to play in a way that not many official games do. But honestly I really enjoyed it overall and I think the amount of love and effort that’s gone in is pretty clear. My biggest complaints are more disagreements about what is and isn’t good for FE rather than being lazy or poorly designed. I’ll look into playing the postgame and prequel at some point most likely. Good shit dude.

1 Like

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Maybe I should make a quick update to just reduce the chapter 18 reinforcements, since that’s definitely the map that gets the most complaints. When making that map, I tried the wyverns every 4 turns, but felt it was too lenient, and made them every 3 turns… Ah well. I still love that one :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah for whatever its worth it seemed like the “point” was to feel overwhelmed, and I get that, but…yeah it was quite intense :stuck_out_tongue:

Alright so during my current playthrough, I noticed a few small errors here and there, like the Colt/Sarah B support having the wrong conversation, or the chapter 10 start cutscene having two Lionels in it, so I decided to just make a quick update to fix those. But more importantly, by popular demand I have lessened the reinforcements in chapter 18. Now the wyverns show up every 4 turns instead of every 3 turns, and there are only two waves of nomads who show up slightly later. The patch link in the main post has been updated accordingly. Rejoice.

4 Likes

At least you became generous with easing the wyverns by every 4 turns instead of three which is quite a nice breather on Chapter 18. Let’s rejoice for this moment of miracle.

it was i who noticed the two lionels you cretin
buffoon
imbecile

anyway im thoroughly enjoying 4k right now

1 Like

Pfff Peasants!!! , back in my day we completed chapter 18 with infinite reinforcements!!! U damn Casuals!!!

!!!!!

This is a Joke guys :joy:

1 Like

Very small patch update in main post, just a bugfix for chapters 7 and 10 start events.

hello I really liked your game, I loved the idea that everyone had their own weapon, it gave many opportunities to new and interesting strategies, I am already planning to play the prequel, I am even waiting for a sequel with the son of walter and Ava XD, but seriously an excellent game, thanks for sharing it with us

Glad you enjoyed it! There is a sequel in the works, but it’s gonna be all about Lionel instead. Sorry to disappoint there.