[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Hope's Trail (1.32)

This is a fascinating concept! I’ve beaten the first two chapters on normal using the sword starter and it’s been fun! My team may be a bit unbalanced seeing as I have two sword and two bow units but it’s definitely an interesting way to play FE. Palettes would be a nice addition, it would at least differentiate the different units in combat animations besides just their name.

1 Like

Does anyone else have troubles trying to open the file? It’s says it’s because of my connection but I can download another file just fine

Thunder Temple is nuts and might need tuning. Might have a particularly Res weak team but even with several holy waters, barrier, and consistent one rounds on the side mages with the 3 range bow, I could not get through the map with any less than 5 deaths. The reinforcements start way to fast and once the miniboss comes in its just a coin flip on whether your frailest unit dies each turn for the rest of the map. I’m on normal, and no map prior has been anywhere near as tough

1 Like

Something you might not realize about the Thunder Temple which might help you: the purple carpet tiles give +10 res, to help provide cover against the boltings and the miniboss. I realized afterwards that this isn’t visible anywhere in game unless you pay close attention to the stats, so in the 1.02 update I’m going to add a tip about it.

1 Like

You need to use a UPS patcher and apply the file to a clean FE8U rom. Or do you mean it’s not letting you download at all from Drive?

Install this to display res bonus on terrain window

1 Like

based Vesly solving all my problems as usual :heart_eyes:

I’ve released version 1.02. Changelog:

• Fixed some map sprite bugs
  • Replaced the ch5 enemy pegasus with a gargoyle
  • Added the res display (courtesy of Contro)
  • Nerfed the Thunder Temple miniboss by 1 mag
  • New icons from the repo for the Bright Lance, Fiendcleaver, Shadowkiller, Beacon Bow, Fire Breath, Magestone, Mage Breath, and Flametongue
  • Added a battle palette for Avery (courtesy of @Shark3143)
  • Added a ‘palettes’ section to the doc credits
3 Likes

Looking at the doc, I’ve found some issues:

• Crow is listed as having D rank in Swords, but in-game he has no Sword rank.
  • Brigand’s third promotion isn’t mentioned.
  • Warrior’s promotion gains aren’t included.
  • Battlemage is mentioned to have Malefic Aura in the Third Promotion section, but the Skills section mentions Armor March instead.
  • Maelduin is listed as having 12 mov and 8 con… I’m inclined to believe it should be the opposite.
1 Like

Good catches, fixed all of these in the doc - Crow’s sword rank and inventory were a holdover from before I decided to split cav weapon types.

Yep I had no idea, I’ll give it a shot knowing this

1 Like

It’s fixed

1 Like

I love the game so far. Also Xela’s portrait is glitched and trying to look at her stats crash the game

1 Like

Huh that’s weird, on my end I’m able to view her stats just fine. Not sure what’s going on there.

Send me your .sav file and I can try to troubleshoot the issue.

1 Like

How do I send the sav? The website won’t let me attach it

Attach it in a discord DM, I’m Len #8625 on there. Or as an email attachment to leozein89@gmail.com

It’s done already

1 Like

I restarted an it’s ok

1 Like

Ok great, glad to hear that. I loaded up your save and didn’t have the issue there either, so I’m not sure what happened. Thanks for reporting it though & let me know if you encounter something like that again!

This concept fantastic and addicting. Aside from replaying the thunder temple, I did a normal difficulty run iron man and pretty much softlocked on the final map with only 4 units and no healer: Stone spam is really hard to play around reactively with dwindling numbers. Tons of good things to say and I can’t wait to try another run. Just two suggestions rn.

-I don’t know how implemention for it would even work, but I do feel it’d be nice to almost have minimum one convoy unit at all times, maybe by giving a supply scroll whenever your current user dies. In this run I gave it to the “starter”, and while I kept her for most of the game, losing her was pretty much the beginning of the end for the run specifically because of losing mid map supply. A lot of that pressure was because I’m doing this blindly though, so it might end up unnecessary or overpowered on subsequent attempts.

-I’m not sure how possible things are meant to be for teams without certain assets, but chapters 7 and 8 seem to ask a pretty steep amount from the player to be possible.

I don’t know how possible chapter 7 is for an army without a flier, or at least a siege weapon, because being able to reach the throne area before there are just too many gorgons nearly requires one of those. Unless the right side recruit is always a unit that fulfills one of those conditions, it seems very easy to get softlocked there, even with a fairly decent number of units: it doesn’t help that the refresher I had died to a single shadowshot.

Chapter 8 is a bit different in that a group of 5 or less units probably cannot beat the map whatsoever. (unless a warp is available that I missed) I don’t know what in the game can break through two groups of Brave weapon enemies alone, and there are two such groups you need to beat on top of the boss, and that’s not mentioning the ticking time bombs. Granted, Five is a very low number when you can probably deploy far more than that, I just don’t know whether or not I should be expecting that kind of softlock.

Also, in Chapter 8, the Franz and Seth replacements have a convo. That was a very funny bug to see.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad to hear you’re having fun! To answer some of your questions:

spoiler
  • The Eastern village in Chapter 7 is always a guaranteed flier to help navigate the desert. If you let 2+ turns of Gorgons spawn in chapter 7, it’s probably going to be really tough to approach the boss without taking some losses. The first pair spawns on Turn 8 player phase, so from the prep screen I recommend planning a strategy to clear the map in no more than 9-10 turns. Perhaps I should make this time pressure a bit more clear from the outset of the map.
  • The rightmost chest in Chapter 8 is a warp staff which can potentially let you cheese the boss if you don’t have enough units to deal with both sides.

That all being said - given the nature of this hack, I’m not opposed to certain runs becoming unwinnable if too many mistakes pile up. My ideal balance is for every attempt to be clearable from start to finish, but to still require good play and careful planning to actually get the win. To some extent, I’d be concerned if people were blasting through this on their first try!

You make a really good point about supply access. Ideally, I don’t want any single unit to become a game over condition, and I can see how having just a single unit with supply access would lead to that. I will consider places to give the player more supply scrolls throughout the game.

Good to know about the “Franz/Seth” convo, I will fix that in 1.03!

4 Likes