[FE8] [COMPLETE] Fire Emblem: Flames of Redemption (Version 1.5 out!)

Currently on Ch14, and got to say that thus far, although still in shock from every reveal, I’ve been dearly enjoying this game.

But, as a note (since this is not the feedback/rating dump post yet), I’ve found a possible softlock, as killing Zee (with a Harpoon) on ch14 will softlock you after the chapter’s objective is met as your ship (the cooler one) tries to kill them. Since there is no unit there anymore, they try to enter combat and are outright unable to do so, rendering the player stuck.

While this can be avoided by skipping the cutscene early, it’s lost info on those units’ whereabouts.

Thank you for reporting this. I think that used to be impossible before the Harpoon buffs (?).

I’ll add a warning to the original post and release a fix sometime.

1 Like

Just finished chapter 6. I was expecting some kind of twist, but not that.

Summary

Was not expecting the squad to turn on me. Very nicely done- I don’t think I’ve played a hack that has pulled that on me other than this one. EDIT: I am regretting A ranking the squad with each other. I have a feeling that’s going to come back and bite me… At least I didn’t support Roman with any of them.

2 Likes

On chapter 5 and I’m really enjoying it, is there a support list of some kind?

2 Likes

There isn’t any at the moment. I’m thinking of making a spreadsheet that acts as a recruitment and support guide.

2 Likes

SIGH Seems like I couldn’t beat FE4 for the first time. Why you ask, because my SAVE FILE has corrupted! And I was so close! I just had to beat julius and manfroy and Save Julia then I was done the game! there’s no way I’m playing FE4 all over again. I’m just gonna spoil the ending for myself!

Anyways I’m ready to play this awesome hack! Here I go!

1 Like

Quick question, are gaiden chapters unlocked automatically, or are there prerequisites for them?

Alright, so, I’ve finished a full playthrough and thus far, I can say I’ve enjoyed the game through it’s constant twists and its “What’ll be next?” moments.

Possible (and huge spoilers) ahead, so check at your own risk.

On the Prologue

Possibly one of the greatest starts in my opinion (despite having the basic brigand chapter at the beginning which then got explained why, as it was enacted by Rebekka’s search of Roman), as it not only sets up the characters you begin with and the main characther’s basic story (and relationships), it also escalates into introducing future characters (as bosses, being Saif, Sabrina and Patrick), and then setting the betrayal of Roman to them and their posterior choices.

Although the cap-lock of Roman at lv10 early made me iffy, as everyone else was able to reach into lv20, there was really no punishment for the loss of your old party.

Highlights on Characteritzation

Joseph was fucking based. Although I may have been iffed by his support with Sasha being an attempt at forcing his normalitzation, I’d still say that he was possibly one of the greatest characters I’ve ever seen, just by his astounding amount of balls, sheer will and pure commitment.

Dude faced a dragon and all he said was “You may be a dragon, but I am god.”

Pure sigma. Beyond that, besides from the characteritzation of the lords which mostly felt right and in place, as they slowly “rewarmed” up to each other felt quite correct in, just as the behaviours of the other characthers (except Lily’s death kind of felt strange. Blame Rebekka’s unability to toggle her sword to “stun” mode)

The Pursuer

Although easily forgettable at first as it only appears once, him having more appearances afterwards to aid you in combat is a touch that I did like - though it can come off as easily forgotten if not fought or not cared for early.

Also Talia getting to be called the second Pursuer wasn’t deserved - she wasn’t good enough to be that. :hue:

But his later reveal of being brother to Charlie and connected to Moira made him memorable - even if it took reaching the endgame for it.

Ship battles

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGA

It made me go back to Iron Emblem, which is great, and was greatly enjoyable.

Marco

A quite busted unit on his join-time, made me ask that, since it looks clear that he’s not promoting, why was he stuck with the unpromoted caps. Might be the price to pay for live 18 Str around lv1, but it’s understandable.

The Epilogue

I wonder who will tell me that I can continue the chapter by pressing “Resume Chapter”.

And while this is mostly praise, on for nitpicks, I’ll say that at some points, the story was too dump-ey heavy (which is acceptable to a fault), and that except for some specific characthers, most of them fell off as in weren’t really differentiated from others as in personality, coming off as slightly blandish compared to the ones that really got a big characteritzation (Joseph, my beloved).

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to finishing this game too. Currently on ch 12. Btw, are there requirements to unlock the gaiden chapters, or do they auto-unlock?

Just finished the game! Thanks for making it, I had a lot of fun playing it. Nothing to complain about here, other than a few minor bugs it was a smooth experience from start to finish! The plot had some good twists, and as a whole I think it was pretty well written. Gameplay-wise, this wasn’t the most difficult hack I’ve played, but plenty of chapters encouraged me to think and plan ahead.

Thanks again for the experience!

Best units: Roman, Rebekka, Julianne

Favorite character: My man Joseph, long may he reign!

That epilogue/sequel hook tho…

Summary

RIP Anna. I didn’t use her outside of the required chapters, but she’ll be missed

1 Like

yahooo, i just finished the game. it my first time making acc in feu as well as making feedback on a fe rom hack!! i really loved ittt(╥﹏╥) im not sure how to format texts so ill be unable to talk about spoilers despite me wanting to ramble about me crying on the good story Jshsjshssjshshs

i could see that other players liked joseph as well, so true he is best man!! definitely god of underworld, he and ranger sasha teamed up massacred everything. idk i got lucky with my def and res growths for both of them… marco is another one i liked for being unique i guess? imagine lvl 9 unpromoted in final chapter… couldnt be me​:frowning_face_with_open_mouth::frowning_face_with_open_mouth:

the plot twists tho :’) i had to take a break playing at some point since it too much for my emotional health-- pls take this as a positive aspect since you’re able to write something that touched the reader/player’s emotions(?)

im not sure if it’s just me or are healers really hard to promote-- my alice barely reached lvl 16 before i promote her, and raphael is lvl 12 when he promote… on the other hand, my first try playing is hard mode but it felt like just above average. also, i like the idea of fleets but i didnt enjoy it as much as others… it’s just a personal opinion tho since i really like raising characters that i like (idk if that makes sense

other than that, there’s minor bugs and typo/grammar error that i couldnt take a shot since i was too excited to reach the end :’)

2 Likes

Finally gave it a full run, not that I had many chapters left. Another congratulations on finishing a full length hack!

Story

Not much else to say, besides the fact I thought it was a solid finish.

I felt kind of bad for both Moiras, so that panned out. Pretty atypical final boss show down as well, I did not expect that to be what Roman’s ‘kid’ Was building towards.

I also didn’t expect such a sequel hook, I’m curious to see how this can be escalated further with Roman and Rebekka having already ended their conquests, the lords starting a new game already in a position of power would certainly be a change of pace.

I wonder if the ‘old Roman’ will continue be a critical plot point in the sequel? I’m still not fully certain that amnesia was able to cause such a 180.

Return of fleet

This was a serious curbstomp battle and being able to obliterate enemy land forces from 5 miles away truly feels powerful.

A unit with provoke basically no sells any threat the enemy fleet can give.

It feels like a victory lap, which I assume is the intent and damn it felt good l.

A minor critique is that the units in the top left don’t have much to be doing after opening the houses besides fight two berserkers.

Endgame

I ignored most of the map by just having Roman open the door with a door key from supply, and the duo were basically invulnerable to everyone but the boss.
2nd boss was a bit dicey with just those two, but Lochlan was enough to take her down.

I’m not sure if you’re supposed to be able to just open the jail door and leave because the map seems like it’s encouraging me to kill the berserker with the door key to free them, but I suppose it might just be for flexibility.

Endgame Team

Yeah, this is the entire team.
Flames of Redemption (10)
Flames of Redemption (5)

Weapon exp bug?

Despite hitting A rank, some units still can’t use silver weapons. I assume it’s the wexp not lining up with the displayed wexp.
Flames of Redemption (11)
Flames of Redemption (12)
Friends have reported the same to be said of S rank weapons.

Minor issues

I think staff exp is a tad low, with Alice and Raphael following seriously behind in exp, to the point that i only barely got then to promo point before new healers made them entirely redundant.
This is in combination with combat units getting ridiculous amounts of exp during the mid to late game.

Roman’s support with the old Anna seems separate to the new Anna.

I will definitely be on the look out for Flames of Redemption 2, Redeem Harder.

5 Likes

Ahhhhh. finally done the game! That was awesome. This editing was out of this world and you did a great job!. like @Rivian said. I’m VERY interested in Flames of Redemption 2!

2 Likes

Pursuer spawns, literally dies the first chapter he spawns in.

Flames of redemtion.2022-01-04 22.48.29

And this is what got him.

Flames of redemtion.2022-01-04 22.49.44

Being an Armor main paid off.

Still, he made me nervous with his 7 crit.

2 Likes

Took out Purseur on his second appearance swordreaver go crazy

I beat this hack today and I have to say: Was a very solid hack, the story took a dark turn and that was really good writing. I really want to see what´s next in the history, the epilogue take totally by surprise. One more thing, I loved the naval battles, pretty clever gameplay.

Sorry for the bad english and thaks for the hack.

1 Like

Enjoying this game so far! Live the plot twists

So i have a question i have 2 people who have S ranks for Lances but we can’t use the S rank Lance, any way to fix this?

I just reached an S rank with a bow user too and its the same. Its S Rank but it looks like there is still a bar that needs to be filled

Also does the Dancer promote?

Its all good i figured it and and i completed your game, it was great! Loved it, the feel was different, the MC felt more conflicted than normal because they were his friends.

Enjoyed it alot, let me know if you have another completed hack, I’ll be happy to play!

1 Like

Just finished my full playthrough! The game was enjoyable, and the story and villains were engaging.

While I find myself recommending the hack to my friends who play fire emblem, I do feel like there’s some issues with the game’s tuning that held it back from being a truly great romhack.

Exp/Scaling

Both experience rates and growth rates are incredibly high – but enemies totally fail to match my unit growth in any capacity.

I found myself fighting skeletons in chapter 20 who had, at best, a 10 in any stat. They don’t pose any threat.

I found there to be no real challenge to be had once you have a couple powerful units, and the game feels more like a sandbox to see how utterly broken you can make a few units of choice.

Since even promoted units gain buckets of experience killing weaker enemies, it really encourages funneling a few units into invincible juggernauts.

Meanwhile, the poor unpromoted foot healers are gaining 11 xp per staff use and are guaranteed to fall hopelessly behind, as they can’t partake in getting combat experience like everyone else, and it’s hard to get them off the ground and promoted.

Enemy Quality

I have to elaborate more on this from the previous section.

Not only are enemy base stats on promoted units quite low compared to how powerful player units become, but the accuracy issues are even more of a problem.

I find myself throwing my units with low defenses at the enemy with no real concern for their survivability because the enemies often end up with 10-15% hitrates on my fast units, which, given the 2RN truehit system in GBA fire emblem, comes down to a extremely low chance of actually taking a hit.

I found myself purchasing several nosferatu tomes for my Harrier so I could charge the enemy without any sort of strategy required, and I didnt even equip them very often because I wasn’t actually taking any damage to heal back.

Promotional Items / Money

The rate you get promotional items is kind of weird, you’re sharply limited early on and filling the gaps at the secret shop, and lategame there’s quite literally more than I believe are possible to even use?

I ended up selling extra whips, orion’s bolts, and ocean crests that had no applicable targets even if I promoted everyone.

I also find it weird that chapter 20 gives out so many promotional items… I’m not sure who these are intended for by this point.

If any promo item would be increased in quantity and more frontloaded, guiding rings would be nice, there’s around 7 characters who can use it off the top of my head, and the low accessibility of them early on really exacerbates the challenge of trying to use the foot healers.

The high value of promotional items means I found myself with 50k excess gold by the end of the game that I had no real desire to spend on anything beyond what I had already purchased, and “big ticket” items like the 9000 gold fenrir aren’t even worth using for free if I had one due to the absurd 18 weight.

Recruitment

The player unit recruitment in this game feels really backloaded? Units like Elias come off as really generic filler, since he joins unpromoted at the very end of ch17 as your 3rd cavalier.

It’s very easy to train up new units with the generous experience rates, and I did so multiple times, but you end up getting buckets of new units when your deploy limit is fairly tight and already full of powerful units, so I feel like much of the cast is destined to be sidelined.

Bugs

It’s been mentioned many times in this topic, but wEXP being inaccurate feels very weird. You need extra training past the moment you obtain A or S to actually use the weaponry.

Lots of glitchy graphics during cutscene transitions due to a lack of fade in fade out to hide it.

Chapter Specific Issues

Couple enemy mercs have a weird ‘half-range’ AI where they won’t strike on enemy phase if you’re within reach but too far out. Just make em’ hit me normally.

Upper left snag feels really extraneous and causes fighters to dead sprint away from me to go hit a log as far away on the map as possible.

Who hid the bridges
Can’t have shit in feuerburg

Flip the flag for Emil’s battle quote dialogue in the event that recruits him, had him shouting like an enemy boss even as a player unit attacking a generic enemy.

I don’t know if this applies later in the game to future recruitable red units – but check them as well.

Add a text warning that the pursuer will be a reoccurring threat rather than a one time chapter gimmick.

I left units behind to fight stragglers so I wouldn’t have to move every unit across the huge map, and he jumpscared me by spawning directly on top of me.

I had to restart as several units couldn’t escape, and I just killed him on this chapter so he wouldn’t show up again, despite his annoying critrate.

Given that this is a shopping focused chapter with very few enemies, I found the void curse reinforcements to be an irritant. They don’t really add anything to the map besides pestering the player for doing their shopping.

The enormous quantity of NPC green cavaliers slows down the gameplay considerably, and the very weak enemies meant that I really didn’t need their help.

I ended up with a ball of 12 green units wandering the map like a swarm of bees that just got in the way.

Jacob is when the bosses in this game started feeling a bit weird to fight. He can one-shot most units, but still wasn’t hard to kill. It’s just a raw stat check and nothing else?

The promotional items in the numerous chests were more or less useless – I didn’t even really need the money from selling them, and it’s not like we get extra deploy space to bring a thief. They don’t make for a meaningful side objective.

There’s no need to deploy anyone else besides the lords who can quickly rush the boss, and the chests feel extraneous with the difficulty of actually using the items before the game is over. Perhaps a series of switches that reveal a path to Moria in the corners of the map would justify deploying units to all corners of the map?

22x

Final boss was not interesting, and instantly died in two hits from Roman’s Heimdallr. I don’t like that she has a fairly high critrate from her high natural skill, since you might just have a main character randomly die – her skill stat should be lowered and weapon hitrate raised to compensate.

Seems to be a sequel hook at the end, so I’m very interested in any future projects you’re considering working on. If I seem very critical, I was to reiterate that I really enjoyed the game, and all my detailed nitpicks exist because I want it to be so much better.

3 Likes