[FE7] Enabling Physical/Healing Units

Iirc Alex’s patch changes the text based on what’s equipped or in the first slot
I don’t know I’ll look into it
Edit: Yeti’s idea won’t work because priests and clerics are a thing
You’d have to say if physical weapon levels exist also STR takes priority

This is literally the definition of a Catch-22. A flawless example.

Just like I thought Alex’s patch accomplishes what Arch is talking about; it will say STR even if the staff is the only thing in the unit’s inventory and will only display as mag if a tome is equipped and no need to cry over something you allegedly don’t care about Klok, there’s an FE8 version too

Except showing Str on mono-staff users isn’t what I wanted (and is technically incorrect in vanilla GBAFE anyways), and it still has the same issue highlighted earlier where magic weapons will change the stat to display Mag when equipped and and tomes that inflict physical damage (like Meteor in EN) will display Str as the stat when equipped on a Sage. This is precisely the effect I’m trying to avoid by seeking an alternative, where the stat would change between class tiers or with varying equips.

Oh we’ll that’s different then
Probably the best thing to do to achieve what you want is to make Str to default and tell the game to say Mag based on a class ability which is what you were saying earlier. What abilities are free in Blazing Shell?

So um I think I did it
I’m still testing but yeah I pretty much have it completed
Tbh I thought it’d be more difficult but I’m not complaining
I’m putting it as class ability 3 bit 2 unless anyone has any objections

Edit: so yeah seems like it works just as expected so now you can give the Mag display and magic weapon level display to whatever classes you want via class ability 3 bit 2; OR that 2 bit for magic users and leave it alone for physical units. Will make an IPS probably tomorrow or Friday

Edit2: IPS patch made and ready for public consumption. Arch and I just have to tie up a few loose ends and the patch should be out by tomorrow although I don’t think the demand for this type of thing is very high

Edit 3: Download Links for Arch and anyone else interested

Fire Shell Patch(Replaces ablity 3 bit 2)
Elibean Nights Patch(Replaces ability 3 bit 0x80)

Staves don’t get equipped and some of them probably don’t have the magic bit set anyway

Yes IS actually did it that way

they also made Purge a weapon so what exactly do you expect?

Wasn’t I the one who discovered that unfortunate issue with Purge to begin with?

Yet I still expect them to not suck

Can you really blame me

Yes and yes for both questions
But it’s okay we forgive you

What’s the issue with purge? :0

I’m guessing this?

…Purge is a weapon, isn’t it? It’s the long range light spell, right? (Like Bolting, which… I think is a weapon?) Fire, Lightning, etc. Are all weapons… right?

EDIT: Oh, wait, do you mean it is a physical weapon? I thought we were just talking about equipable things because staves lol

Purge is technically a weapon and not a magic weapon; the magic bit isn’t set
No one realised until Hextator saw that it didn’t work with his Melee & Magic patch and was like oh wait it’s not technically magic

fail IS, fail .-.

Wait so it targets defense or something? Which game?

I think they hardcoded it over to deal RES damage, which means they probs caught the bug and just hacked up a fix without checking to see what was actually wrong.

lol that is amazing

Yes it’s hardcoded to target res, I verified this (as indicated in the conversation log in which I originally identified the oddity, which is probably in my doc somewhere)

It’s in the melee magic patch folder