[FE7] Adding the guaranteed desert item find from Thieves to an additional class

I’m working on a personal FE7 project where Assassins are already available in Living Legend and I’d like them to have a 100% chance to dig up treasure.

I’ve already given them the Steal skill, but it seems the desert item events specifically check for the Thief class via ASM. I’m thinking there might be a way to re-write the events to still check for a unit’s class without relying on ASM, but I’m still pretty new to the Event Editor. I’d really appreciate any assistance!

In FE6/7, most checks are done via ASM. The desert treasure checks for both male and female thief IDs, so the simplest method is to change the female thief for the male assassin, if you’re not using them. In that case, open the hex editor and jump to 0x07D2C6, you will see 0x3D there, which is the ID of the female thief.

If you are using the female thief, then it becomes a little more complex. You’d have to rewrite part of the function, either to make it check for the Steal flag instead (which might not be possible inline, meaning you’d need to hook the function) or to add more IDs which definitely won’t be possible inline so you’d have to either hook the function or copy the entire function and edit it externally, then use the Insert EA function and replace the address called in the event.

2 Likes

Female thieves aren’t in use, so the hex edit worked like a charm. Much simpler than I thought, thanks a lot! :smiley: