FE stealing names from real world

I just want to share a little graphic I’ve made showcasing all the places in Europe that had their names “reused” by FE.

16 Likes

I can’t find Magvel, I guess that one is original?

1 Like

It comes from “Magi Val” and has no real-life counterpart.

1 Like

kaga states that FE was based on ancient Rome and Gallia.
http://web1.nazca.co.jp/kasuga/kaga_top.html

Valentia = Valencia, Spain
Macedon = Macedonia

2 Likes

It could be also based on this:

It even fits better with the bigass wall and stuff.

1 Like

Zofia sounds similar to “Sofia”, the capital of Bulgaria

1 Like

It’s based on Valencia, Spain.

Also, Mila’s Divine Protection in SSBB uses Spanish guitar and castanets, two signature instruments from Spain (and more specifically, in Valencia)

Valentia was used in the FE15 localization.

6 Likes

Zofia/Sophia (Σοφία) is a name of Greek origin, meaning wisdom (see: philosophy, “the love of wisdom”).

If I had to guess, Edda from FE4 is actually named after the Edda Poetry and Edda Prose, the two most important sources of information regarding Norse Mythology. Since FE4 is so heavily based on that, I guess this is the actual origin

Not exactly names from the real world but i think it fits regardless:
All the nations in Elibe are clearly inspired by real world nations or factions, and i think it would be fun to name those and order the characters of Elibe according to these factions. Also please remember this is just supposed to be a fun thought experiment and not meant to offend anyone in any way.

The factions and their real life inspirations

First lets go over the factions:

• Etruria is a giant empire with their Western Isles serving as their colony, and where the populace has to work in harsh conditions. I think this represents England, seeing how Aquilea sounds quite French and the English and French have a connection via William the conquerer, i think its fair to say Etruria is England and France

• The Western Isles are quite literally Ireland and possibly Scotland too when we consider Fibernia being based on Hibernia, and Caledonia being an old roman name for Scotland. I don’t think i have to detail the History of Ireland and England here.

• Lycia: I originally was gonna say Italy here, seeing how Italy had so many City states, but seeing the top post about how many of Lycias locations have their origin in Greece I’m quite torn. I guess we’ll just go with both for this

• The Kingdom of Bern: . Bern is capital of Switzerland and works as the big bad evil guys in the story of Elibe. They also have ferocious Wyvern Riders and are known for their military prowess. I think they represent Germany or the Holy Roman Empire.

• The Sacae Plains: I think the first inspiration is quite obvious here: the Mongols and many other nomadic people from the steppe or what is now Central Asia. The other one less so and a bit more far fetched: The Cossacks , having their origin in the Tatar word qazaq (free men) they were basically a mix of Russian, Ukrainian and steppe Asian self governing semi military communities in the south Russian steppe aswell as many other places. Both of these have quite a history of horsearchery aswell as being a warrior society.

• The Kingdom of Ilia: My two guesses for Ilia are Russia and Scandinavia , firstly because of the winter. Both these places have a connection via the Vikings, who were the first to form a Russian state. And later went on to form the Varangian Guard, which was a highly prestigious Elite unit of the Byzantine Army, made up mostly of Scandinavians from both Scandinavia and Russia. I’m pretty sure Ilya is the Russian version of the name Elijah too, so there’s that.

• The Nabatta Desert: Lots of Sand, lots of mysteries. There are not many deserts around europe, which Elibe is based on, so i think its fair to assume is inspired by the Arabic world , you could also argue for Spain/Portugal because of Andalusia, when the Muslims conquered nearly all of Spain, but i think that would be a bit far fetched. We’ll add it for the sake of fun.

Feel free to correct anything if you think its wrong and discuss, i tried not to make it too long so the history part is a bit simplified.

With that being said lets assign the character to the factions to determine where they could be from in our world.

The characters

I’ll be using these Character Relations graph from Serenes Forrest as a guide.

Here’s the result. It’s been a while since i played FE6/FE7, and a good while longer since i read the story, so please excuse if i missed something obvious.

Rutger is Sacaean and Bernish, Fir is Sacaean and Western Islander, and Lyn is Sacaean and Lycian. I put these three in their own category since they’re mixed and i wasn’t sure which of the their two factions to put them.

Oh yeah also, Roland, one of the Eight Legends in Elibe’s Lore, is based off of Roland, a military leader in service of Charlemagne/Karl der Große. There is a poem written about his story called the Chanson de Roland (Song of Roland). And there is also a German band which has turned it into a song. There is a translation of the german song text in the comments of the video incase you’re interested.

The song

dArtagnan - Chanson de Roland - YouTube

2 Likes

That’s some good research right there. Now we know that Elibe is inspired by the Old World.

Oh yeah also, Roland, one of the Eight Legends in Elibe’s Lore, is based off of Roland, a military leader in service of Charlemagne/Karl der Große. There is a poem written about his story called the Chanson de Roland (Song of Roland). And there is also a German band which has turned it into a song. There is a translation of the german song text in the comments of the video incase you’re interested.

Moreover, his legendary weapon Durandal is also in Elibe, as the legendary weapon used by Eliwood in FE7 !

2 Likes

Interesting thing about Sacae’s origins is that the Sacae were a real life Iranian people that were actually different than the Scythians in areas such as the Pontic Steppe.

Etruria being a kingdom is probs a reference to the early Etruscan Kings ruling over Rome.

1 Like

Actually the nabata desert is based of ancient jordan the nabateens who built the petra castle
Jehana is based of jehanam wich is an arabic word mean hell
And also jaffar is based of jaffa a city in Palestine or jaffar the cousin of prophet Mohammad
And also sacae is of from mangolia and some of the asian tribes
Etruria is based of of Europe
I would say that lycia is based of usa because they are separate states led by marquesses and all answer to the ostian marquess
Bern is might based of the roman empire or the Vikings
Thats all i know

2 Likes

It’s on the map.

Lycia is based on Lycia. It was a confederation of city states.

1 Like

Here’s a fun possible one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryn_Desert

You know, Ryn, the girl from the plains? :wink: It’s even relatively close to Bolgar.

Etruria is literally an old Italian country’s name in the middle-ish of the peninsula, while Aquleia could be based on a Rome city named Aquileia

1 Like

These two are as well labeled on the map.

That is what the name is based on but i was thinking which historical nation it represents more

2 Likes