FE_Builder_GBA -- If you have any questions, attach report7z

Whenever any text is called in an event, the game hangs infinitely instead of showing any text. It seems to be reproducible with every cutscene in the game that’s supposed to call text.

Didn’t you install a strange patch around 8/2 that rewrites text handling (especially escape sequences)?
The reason is that the areas 08007042 - 08007456 are corrupted.
In the meantime, I can cancel this change, but I’m not sure if it will work completely.
If this doesn’t work, I think it would be best to go back to the 8/2 backup.

7z:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/470029781795078175/1004923950230417448/FE_Nightmare_Gate_REDO.PATCH.20220805102511.7z

1 Like

Oh shoot, that’s right! I was experimenting with the text engine rework, but ended up uninstalling the patch when I saw how much the fancy commands were bloating the scene I was writing as a test. After uninstalling, I ran the game to make sure it was successful but for some dumb reason I only made sure the gameplay was still functional and skipped the dialogue. I feel like a total idiot for that obvious oversight. lol

It seems like your fix is working, but I’ll keep looking out for any unintended side effects going forward. Thanks a lot.

When I try to make a character Warp into the map, or even have a character warp from one point of a map to another, whenever I try to change the coordinates it shows my prologue map. For example, the event is taking place in the endgame chapter. When I set them based on the map I’m actually in, a random warp affect appears in the middle of the screen and nobody actually warps.

Is there any way to change the triangle attack to make it depend on the characters doing it or to expand the classes that can do it at the same time?

First you should remember to read carefully what is written at the beginning of this thread and send report7z.
Then I will explain about triangle attack.
In vanilla, only Pegasus (Falcon) and Armor (General) can use triangle attack.
At this time, the palette must use compatible data.
This is because the current unit’s custom palette is used for the picture that is displayed when doing a TRIANGLE ATTACK.
If you are using an incompatible palette, you will see strange color data.

There is one way to change this picture, but it is not supported by FEBuilderGBA.
This picture exists in ROM as a lz77 compressed image with no palette.

Hey there, I started making my first hack the other day and am a few chapters in. Idk why, but the final hit on the bosses of every chapter is always a critical. Even when a units crit is 0 they will always crit the boss when they can kill normally. Is there an easy fix for this?
First post so I hope I made the report7z right, thanks for your time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12JiTPC7nKVI8qc6Ie16CLael6tdIKs3L/view?usp=sharing

Use this patch.

NAME=RemoveFlashyMode(SkillSystems)
INFO.en=Change the behavior of FlashyMode, which is always killed when defeating a boss.\r\nDefault is enabled for bosses.\r\nIf it is Lord Unit, it will be effective for enemies who have the LordUnit flag instead of the boss.\r\n

You have skillSystems installed and there is a strange routine called FlashyMode installed at the same time.
Please disable this routine with the above patch.

It worked perfectly! Thank you very much, and have a great day :slight_smile:

Is it possible to change a weapons type image and/or name?
If I wanted to add gauntlets instead of dark magic for example.
I know I can make new items with gauntlet icons and stats and assign them to dark magic, but then in the weapon rans screen it will still be the dark void symbol.

It is not impossible to do, but it is difficult because you have to change various parts.
I think the name is Text, so search for Text Table.
You need to replace all the relevant parts.

In addition, the weapon type icons are embedded in various places, so all of those need to be modified as well.
It would be a very laborious and tedious process.
If you think it’s worth the your effort, give it a try.

hmmm
I’m just starting so I don’t have the confidence or the knowledge to edit so much stuff without breaking anything lol.
I’ll keep it in mind though, thank you!

I noticed that extending the Menu Commands does not work fully. It correctly reallocates the data, but it never seems to fill in the extended data with valid entries. The new data is filled with zeros and an FFFFFFFF at +0x20, thus causing FEBuilder to not display the new entries. This happens even with the detailed extension tab. I have seen this occur in each GBA FE game.

Can you be a little more specific about what the problem is?
The data has been reallocated, right?
What is the problem after that?

How can I confirm this phenomenon?

Ah, l think l’ve narrowed it down. When you expand that list, FEBuilder uses the last new entry for padding, moves the original final entry to second-to-last, and inserts all the new ones before that.
This means if you expand the list by one, FEBuilder only creates the padding entry and nothing appears to happen. If you expand it by two, only one new entry appears.

I don’t think there is any problem with two extensions.
Could you please explain further how this could be happening as you describe it?

1. open vanilla FE8U rom.
  2. open the menu commands in the advanced menu
  3. press the expand button
  4. press the expand button

Nothing seems to be wrong.

1 Like
  • It is specifically when you expand the list by +1. For example, if you expand it from 29 to 30:

• The data is moved, but the new entry is not visible because the new entry is padding:

FEBuilder always extends one less Menu Command than what the user specifies; changing it to 50 entries only gives 49 entries. In fact, if you change it from 29 entries to 29 entries (the same amount), the final command in the list will be deleted. I don’t think there’s a good reason for the user to extend a list by zero, but it does help explain the problem.

I was able to confirm the problem.
It have a special process that requires a Wait command to be placed at the end of the menu, so there may be something wrong with that part of the menu.
I don’t think it is a serious problem, but I would like to fix it if I can later.

1 Like

Hello!
I am new to FEBuilderGBA and this may possibly be a dumb question, but I can’t find any guides online. Whenever I make a new chapter, it defaults to the starting map, which I am using in my Hack. But whenever I edit the map on the new chapter, it edits the starting map as well. Is there something I’m missing? If so, please tell me. Sorry if this is a stupid mistake, I’m new to the whole hacking thing.
Thanks for being kind.

I don’t think you have read it at all, but there is a lot in the help section.
I suggest you read it first.
You can find the link at the very beginning of this thread, and you can also find the link to help in the very first section of FEBuilderGBA.
https://dw.ngmansion.xyz/doku.php?id=en:guide:febuildergba:index

If that does not solve the problem, please send report7z, which also says this, and let me know how I can check the problem with it.

I think I would like to treat this issue as a specification, as it seems like a lot of work to fix.
Expanding the menu should ensure that there are at least two.
This is because even if there is a margin, it is not a big problem because it is hidden.