FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

Thanks. Also, can you please add my Baron Cards to the repo?

1 Like

They should all be there, even Pushwall’s generals.

1 Like

Excellent job with the brigands! I’d like to request a class card for the Grand Paladin.
grdpaladinsword

6 Likes

Sure thing. Right now it is late for me. I’ll do it when I wake up!

1 Like

@flasuban Already made one for that, albeit helmeted.
Gold Knight M

3 Likes

Thank you, that is much appreciated!

1 Like

I wish that, for the crit, it had a swarm of cuccos chikkins attack the enemy from all directions.

Maybe that can be the T5 animation.

5 Likes

THANK YOU
About time someone made a Hero with Shield class card!

4 Likes

Hey all, it’s been a while since I made a big Repo Update post.

One big issue the Repo has had since maybe a year after its inception is… the portrait repo. Now, I originally had Silverfox working on it, and some other people helped him out occasionally, but it was never really super well organized or anything like that; kinda just thrown together. Get the portraits in, worry about organization later.

Well, after being unable to find a mug in there, one I am certain should have been (Monkeybard’s cute Lyn mugs; I swear I added them) I got frustrated and decided we need to change things.

So, today I brought on Mysterious Dancer and he and I have sat down to clean house. Let me give you guys an overview on the old mug repo vs the new one.

Previous:

NEW:

This repo has been vastly overhauled. It is also still a big work in progress, but I wanted to give you guys an overview of how, exactly, it has changed.

First off, standardization. This is something that always grinds my gears when it’s ignored, because predictability makes things easier to find and makes systems much easier on the eyes. The original mug repo had a bunch of mishmashed folder names. The new one is very standard: Mainline games have folders that start with “FE# Mugs (Game Title)”, while non-mainline folders have appropriate names that tell you exactly what’s inside them.

You may notice that, oddly, I did not go with FE1-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8, 9-10, etc.
Instead, I went with FE (1, 3, 11-12) (2, 15), 4-5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc…

But why?

This is a big change for repo organization. Characters that exist in mainline FE games will now always go in their original game folders if someone makes a mug for them. Lyn goes in FE7, Roy in FE6, Alm in FE 2/15, and so on.

But why does FE2 get combined with FE15? Why the weird combination of 1/3/11/12? Because these games feature essentially identical recurring casts. If someone makes a Marth mug, it should go in Marth’s games. Similarly, the same is true of FE4 and FE5.

But if that’s the case, why is FE6 separate from FE7, and similarly for FE9 and FE10? Because these games feature similar casts from the same era, BUT they also have big timeskips in between their games. Unlike FE1 and 3, where the timeskip is very small, FE7’s cast ages drastically between games, making them visually different characters. Additionally, FE6/7 and 9/10 have lots of distinct characters between games.

And that of course begs the question: What about games like Heroes, where characters from a bunch of existing games show up together in a big mish-mash? The answer is, characters who specifically exist in Heroes alone, OC’s such as Alfonse and Sharena, they go in the FEH folder, while characters from other games, such as Brave Lyn or Brave Hector, go in their respective game folders; FE7 in their case.

Generally speaking, if someone is saying to themselves, “Hmm, I wonder what cool Eliwood mugs exist?” I do not want them to have to hunt through five different folders to find all of Eliwood’s variants.

The Generics folder is for… well, generic mugs. Not Class Cards, but mugs like this, which are meant to fit into cutscenes as generic characters:

Finally, any character who is NOT from Fire Emblem or Kaga Saga or some other FE related series will go inside the “Non-FE Games” folder. This does not mean original characters made by community artists, but characters from existing games, such as Mario, or Link, or something like that.

…

Next, we turn to the Mugging Blitz folders.

Ah, yes. Mugging Blitzes 10, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 7. My favorite numerical order! Who needs MB9, anyway?

Originally, there were 10 Mugging Blitz folders, each with TONS of mugs thrown in all in the MB’s root folder, or, in MB10’s case, separated into countless artist sub-folders. This made them extremely annoying to navigate, because you’d click through a bunch of folders, reach the bottom, and there would only be one mug inside.

Now, we’ve totally revised the MB folders (and Mysterious Dancer is still working on them).

Instead of a bunch of MB folders, there will no longer be a MB folder at all! I have created a Spriting Community OC’s folder, one where any new characters NOT based on existing characters from Fire Emblem OR any non-FE related brand (Like a ‘Tales Of’ game) will go inside.

For any Mugging Blitz submissions where someone submitted an edit of an existing character, that character will now go inside their related game folder.

For example, Stacheless Bartre here, made by GenericPretsel, this would go inside the FE6 game folder, since it’s an edit of FE6 Bartre.

Meanwhile, this OC mug, also made by Pretsel, would go inside his specific artist OC folder, since it’s not based on any existing characters.

When a mug is based upon an established character, we will format its title as “[CharacterName] [Modifier] (Artist)”, meaning “Mario SMRPG (JoeBlow69)”

When a mug is an OC, it will go in the OC’s folder, instead formatted with the Artist’s name first, followed by any identifier for the mug, if they exist. Ex: “JoeBlow69 - Gabriel OC”

…

As I said before, work on the portrait repo is ongoing. Please note that I have also moved its position. You may find the new portrait repo inside the primary repo folder, located here:

The old one still exists, for now, but I’ll be deleting it soon once we’ve confirmed the edits of all existing mugs to fit the new naming standards, and so on.

Thanks for taking the time to read this update! If anyone has any mugs they wish to submit, feel free to post them here; preferably zipped up if you have a bunch. If you know of any sprite artists who are not yourself but you think should be included, you can also post a link to their page. I’ll ask them if they want to contribute to the repo.

That is all!

P.S.: A link to the repo, since I forgot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jiiTpNXgAlr4lZBh8d-nJFdO-Jus5VXV

23 Likes

Thank you, I was looking for some vanilla gba mugs the other day and couldnt find them in the repo because someone forgot to add the rest of the games cast into the folders

1 Like

Right now, our primary goal is to get every mug sorted and renamed appropriately. After that, I’ll go through and add any mugs we’re missing, any big F2U mug collections worth adding, and so on.

It’ll take a while, probably a week or so, but the final product should look great!

1 Like

This reorganization is pretty nice overall! I do have a couple gripes with it, though.

• I don’t think there should be a separate folder for generics. That glasses guy you gave as an example was posted by Sphealnuke in the MB10 thread, primarily intended as a boss, not a cutscene generic character. Is the distinction “no visible eyes”? Either way, I don’t see much of a reason to keep it separate from the big OC folder.
  • Why disassemble the Mugging Blitz folders? Putting those portraits in other fitting locations is fine, but I don’t see much of a reason to remove another organization method. Does having duplicate portraits cause an issue somehow?
  • The old version of the graphics repository, before the new portrait repo at all, had several other F2U portrait collections in addition to the Mugging Blitzes. I remember NickT’s, Eldritch Abomination’s, and LaurentLacroix’s portraits, among others. Even if NickT’s taken down a lot of his own stuff, having access to these other F2U portraits through the repository is nice.
  • Pretsel’s shaved Bartre is based on the FE6 version, not the FE7 one. Tiny issue, but still an issue.

Still, even if it can be improved further, cleaning up the organization of the portrait repository is a really good change! I’m excited to see where this goes.

1 Like

Yeah I can go either way, there. I may just remove Generics entirely.

It’s a gigantic pain in the ass to scroll through dozens and dozens of folders looking for things. Similarly, having all of the sprites in one folder makes for a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge long scroll-page of sprites, while having ten mugging blitz folders with all the sprites thrown in also separates authors. For now, just going with a big Community OC folder makes the most sense to me, with individual creator subfolders. This is still a lot of folders to sort through, but authors also remain grouped together.

There’s no easy answer to that dilemma, but having ten big blitz folders doesn’t really work, since I want things other than the Blitz folders to fit in there.

Yup, I want to include all of those as well. This is why a ‘Blitz’ folder system doesn’t work.

You are nitpicking and biased, I win, bye bye! :wave:

Agreed! I’m definitely open for suggestions, solutions for edge cases, and so on.

3 Likes

Can you use this on a hackrom?

Any possible way u can make this true blade here is picture and link https://youtu.be/S26uirtxxtY
hqdefault

Hey any possible way to make a true blade class like this here picture in link https://youtu.be/S26uirtxxtY
hqdefault

That animation is already available; it can be found, labeled as simply “Trueblade”, under the Swordmaster section on the emblemanims site.

1 Like

I need a computer to do this right ? Im using phone lol

You will need a computer to make hacks and use the animation. No tools for mobile currently exist and likely never will.

8 Likes

Since this topic pings a lot of people; please vote in this poll if you are a creator of Fire Emblem fan content. It will not only help the repo, but the entire community as a whole by making your position known on how you want your content used.

2 Likes