FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

Oh, whoops. Didn’t realize that was already addressed.

That definitely sounds annoying to deal with.

May I have permission to format them into 16x16? I will release them once I finish some of my animation, if I get permission of course. @Zane @Klokinator

Yes, of course.

1 Like

From how I see it, an artist is allowed to own their art. There is no legal binding contract here saying we have the rights to the art just because they posted it as F2U. If the issue is removing them entirely as that would erase history, a middle-ish ground would be creating a “historical archive” folder with the de-listed items and putting the burden of contacting the artist on whoever wants to use it.

Edit: Regarding Hextator, that’s not necessarily art, but a tool. Honestly it’s kind of an awkward area of ethical usage but any forks should have been free game.

honestly I think we’re happy to call this the actual staff decision

8 Likes

So, if someone just come here and post some unique animations and stuff and days later the same guy came here and say it’s not to use it anymore, than klok will have to delete everything and lost due to time?
I’m not sure with this is fair, even if this is the work of someone, their first decision was to be used and not to be forbidden. Unless the guy has some good reason, but just because he/she wants it’s not a good one. I just don’t want to see tons of contents disappearing of the repo to never ever going to be free again.

1 Like

As far as we’re concerned, yes. At the end of the day, whether or not if you get to use something that someone else made is irrelevant. They don’t need a reason, they do not owe an explanation.

This also… Has not happened. Calm down.

6 Likes

My heart begun racing :v, As a person who loves history, I’m completely afraid of these sorts of things.

i’m not going to bother getting into a moralistic argument about “history” or “archival”, or whatever

The precise staff position is this: If you use assets in a fan project that is hosted on this website, and the creator of those assets comes back to this website to ask you to stop using those assets, we will not allow you to continue hosting that project on this website until those assets are removed. This applies regardless of whether those assets are released as F2E or F2U in this repo, or in general.

10 Likes

I’m not reading this, how can you support such craziness. They can’t do that with their if these assets are creative commons or public domains, IT’S THE LAW. Once they are here in the repo, and it’s considered as F2E/F2U, it means that they now are a public domain content, in short: they cannot own it anymore!
A_Dancer said it didn’t happen, but if someday this happens, then this content will be forever gone! Unless they have a good reason as I saw few months ago, they guy didn’t want the content he had his reason, but he didn’t come back and just said: I don’t want it to be there anymore, and it’s just that.

I’ve made my position clear enough, so this will be my last response on the subject in this thread. Anyone with further questions can direct it to the staff PM.

Firstly, as a strictly legal matter, Creative Commons is not a law but a licensing agreement, and that agreement is between the creator and the user of the work. Fire Emblem Universe is neither the executor nor the arbitrator of this contract, and we have no obligation to be equally permissive as those agreements. If you’re unable to abide by this, you’re welcome to host and discuss your projects off-site.

Secondly, “I release this as F2U” is not a legally binding declaration. If the repo intends for all submissions to be licensed as such, there should be a clear notice in both the repo itself and the submission thread containing both the precise license text or possibly a license short-hand such as CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-SA-NC, or so on. For example, merely stating “this is creative commons” admits “CC-BY-ND”, which does not allow derivative works entirely.

EDIT:

As a matter of operational usage, I don’t control what gets put into this repo with what labels, and I’m not about to go scouring the internet to check that every asset is properly labeled with the original creator’s current intent. I’ve already said that it doesn’t matter to me if assets are saved for archival purposes, so it’s up to the repository maintainers on whether they want to respect authors being fickle off-site.

11 Likes

why should people’s be able to use a creator’s work, if the creator doesn’t want it publicly available anymore? why not just use any non-F2U resource at that point? in both scenarios, the creator doesnt want you using their work, so whats the difference? also some laws suck lmao

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I just noticed that my Adventurer map sprites are currently named “Marksman (M/F) Staff
{ArcherBias}.” Is it ok if instead they were called something like “Nura Marksman/FE14 Adventurer (M/F) {ArcherBias}” instead, mostly because “Staff” implies that the map sprite is holding a staff, and it’s uh, not.

I have no idea why I named them Staff. They don’t look at all like they have staves. So weird.

1 Like

Lmao youre fine i literally only just noticed myself

reminder: this is the thread to post non-content regarding the repository
@Alice @DATonDemand

right I guessed so when i saw my comment got removed, apologies

1 Like

I love the Castlevania inclusion! I’m also VERY excited for more AW animations. As a side note, have anyone seen any mech-like battle animations or similar?

1 Like

For Jay’s prototype Roy, I feel like the colors are not quite right. The screenshot seems to use skin colors for the gold trim, and has more blue tones

The colours are very messed up on the photo. Look at the other side with Eliwood.
Plus, you can always recolour it.