FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

hello um blood i have a question you still have l’arachel sprite animation for valkiryie?
if you have it could you send it to use it? please?

this is for a rom of sacred stones and want to give some characters unique animations and that animation looks good

It’s on the repo:

2 Likes

ok thanks

now do the tomato juice one
this is the most epic thing ever

1 Like

Ladies and gentleman, we have an improved shaman!

This is the second time I’ve seen this argument pop up in the last week or so. It’s also the second time I’ve ever seen people mention the naming convention of ‘improved X’ in the Repo. We’ve had ‘improved’ animations since like, idk, 2008. Feels like if this was going to become an issue people should have mentioned it sooner?

Not that I disagree. I mostly just name animations whatever the creator names them, with a few exceptions. A lot of people submit “Improved X” animations, so I just stick them in. A few of them, I’ve looked at the animations and said “Wait, this isn’t even improved. It’s not even a sidegrade. Isn’t this worse?” but it’s not easy to, idk, get a ‘consensus’ on how these animations should be named.

Some animations are intended to be improved versions of existing ones. For example, Sax-Marine’s posting of the Warrior 2.0 just above.

This is a cool animation, but is it really a 2.0? It seems better than the Warrior design-wise, but also like completely different. The design screams ‘tier 3’ but the actual animation movements are basically the same as the warrior. Should I list it as Alternate Warrior, then? Updated Warrior? Tier 3 Sort Of Updated and Altered Warrior But It’s A Different Class That Simply Mirrors The Warrior’s Movements?

Even if I figure out something for this Warrior 2.0 animation, I still have all the other animations to deal with after that. Too exhausting for what amounts to a single word change, so I’m not going to bother.

Yeah… I’m not gonna accept this argument. If it bothered anyone, they would have said something like 10 years ago… or four years ago when I made the repo… or two… or even one year ago. Why wait all this time? Nobody’s offended by the name choice. A better reason to change it is just simply that it doesn’t make much sense, but at the same time it’s also tedious and annoying work with essentially zero payoff so I don’t think it’s worth the time.

So anyway.

I spent a bunch of time reworking the Portrait Repo again. A criticism the portrait repo kept receiving from many discord servers I frequent went a little something like this:

Yeah, sure, it has 2,200 portraits, but there are SO many bad ones!
Why do I have to sift through so many crappy meme portraits just to find the good ones?
A lot of the portraits don't fit in with the GBAFE artstyle at all. If you're not making a shitty low-tier hack, these portraits are just random noise!
Klok, you're ugly and your father smells of elderberries!

Obviously, all of these criticisms are true. So, I tried looking at the repo to see if I could finagle a solution. Here’s what I came up with.

First off, I’ve gone through all of the OC folders and sifted out any ‘memey’ portraits, any that don’t conform to ‘conventional GBAFE design philosophy,’ and so on. I placed them all inside what I can only describe as a ‘meme folder.’ This will help people bypass them, but also for people who WANT meme mugs, now they’re all in one spot.

This meme folder is inside the Non-FE Properties folder in the root portrait repo. I would like to sift the actual FE-style mugs out and put them into a different folder, but that can wait for now.

I don’t like passing judgment on what constitutes a ‘low quality portrait.’ Sterling Glovner’s work, for example, is often very differently proportioned from how GBAFE portraits look. Does that make his work worse? Of course not. His work is awesome. A few examples:

However, there are mugs that I think don’t belong in the ordinary folders. For example…

Literally just pictures of people or random images off the internet:

Mugs taken from totally different FE games, typically pre-FE6:

In the above case, these mugs look great! I actually plan to move these into the base game folders when I have time, it’s just that they don’t belong in the OC folder, where they were.

Images like these which seem to have been made with a “lolz this is a funi meme” intent:

And so on.

It’s not that these images are bad, but the point of the repo is to serve as an easy to access repository of graphics for project makers. This change for meme mugs actually improves the repo by making it easier for meme-game creators to find funi mugs they want, while non-meme game creators also don’t have to sift through those.

I’m up for any suggestions and improvements to the sorting or whatever. I actually don’t even know if this is a good name for the folder, so, thoughts?
All Non-GBA-Style Mugs and Meme Mugs

Maybe something more like…

All Unconventional and Meme Mugs

?? Gib thoughts ??

14 Likes

Is that friggin Bill Clinton? Did Zoisite really make Bill Clinton?!

1 Like

Yes. In real life. The entire Bill Clinton presidency was a shameless plug for Hiraeth.

3 Likes

So the people wants spin.
The spin they will get. (as well as another motion)
Leo's Warrior 2nd take
(I was actually too lazy to script it so if anybody’s willing to do it feel free)

There you go “Leo’s warrior 2nd take” is the name i went for because i don’t care about names.

Free to use and edits, go wild with that if you want.

Credits :
Nuramon
Spud
Leo_link

41 Likes

Alright, I think I’ll name this one “Leo Link’s Improved Warrior 2.0 Upgraded Edition featuring Dante from Devil May Cry v3 Super Hyper Kamehameha Edition”.

Jokes aside, I actually renamed the original version of this animation in the repo to Tellius Warrior, so I’ll make yours the “Tellius Warrior Alt Attack”.

5 Likes

Leo Link’s Improved Warrior 2.0 Upgraded Edition featuring Dante from Devil May Cry v3 Super Hyper Kamehameha Edition.

And Knuckles

Oh my god we should have known

1 Like

Cruella D’Eville…

Ah yes, I remember making that Lincoln and Washington portrait, though I also remember making a lighter skin color portrait for Lincoln as well

“Big axe using fighting melee unit”

What I meant is that, when I made this, I intended her to be around 1600 years old.

(It’s for a hack I’m making)

Ah. cool. She does look like more of a teenager anyways.

Blueberry Dragon

Well obviously that’s cuz Moulder ain’t no beta biatch

4 Likes

Can’t access the google drive link :frowning:

1 Like

warrior getting some love lets go