[FE 8](Full-Length) [COMPLETE?] Eligor's Spear version 3.0 (46 +1 Chapters)

Take your time with the project.
Thank you for informing us about the situation going on and the FEE3 scenario.

Given the time to settle on the difficulty level for the players to enjoy, you will have Eligor’s Spear as a completed ROM hack and a great experience.

4 Likes

If you need playtesters for particular parts of route II you know where to find us ;p.

3 Likes

I haven’t done much in a long time because it just became way way too much of a chore and hassle to deal with all the RNG and resetting when trying to record consistent strategies and also write down noteworthy things, when so much can change depending on stat variations (both player- and enemy-wise), including how the AI decides to position its units.

However, I did finally decide to complete part of a goal I set out to do since long ago, which was to see if you can beat the game with 0% growths, every enemy having the highest possible stats they can roll, and every enemy hitting every attack. (And ofc the player can’t crit)

Well at first when I tried to do it I foolishly tried to just reset a lot by using savestates whenever I got “lucky” (more like whenever I didn’t get unlucky in practice) and eventually I got really sick of it and abandoned it.

Well I highly doubt you can actually complete the game with 0% growths and 100% enemy hit rates (and with insane enemy stats ofc), but at least you can in fact beat the prologue with these settings:

A few notes:

Turn 1: Moving Skylar another tile to the right (so he’s not adjacent to Avanni and can’t trade) and using Longbow to attack the Revenant will increase Camian’s hit% on retaliation from the Bonewalker due to support bonus.

Turn 2: If Skylar would move as mentioned above, then he could also full move into range of the Doggo, which can save an extra turn, and I’ve used that strategy in unreleased vids, but this makes the Gargoyle that will Attack Camian change it’s attack position from to the left of Camian, adjacent to the wall tiles, to above Camian, which means Avanni won’t be able to attack the Gargoyle while staying out of range from the Wight on turn 3. (I believe the AI tries to avoid player units, but it only cares about distance while ignoring pathing, since Skylar obviously can’t attack from the wall, the effective distance doesn’t change…)

Turn 2: Avanni should be placed one tile to the right, instead of between Skylar and Camian. While it’s neat to put Avanni between the two to move an extra step, and avoid the Phantom’s attack range by having Skylar bodyblock, there’s not actually any use of the extra movement and all this does is prevent Camian from moving first, which means he doesn’t give support bonus to Avanni when she attacks the Gargoyle, reducing her hit% slightly.

Extra note: Those last 2 skellies are actually insane because they get 2 levels for being level 3, and then +2 from hard mode bonus like every other unit.

And how FE autoleveling works is that regular auto levels and hard mode bonuses are calculated separately, so they become way more swingy and the difference between the minimum to the maximum is much higher.

For reference their average HP is 27, STR 12, and DEF is 10. Minimum HP is 25, minimum STR is 11, and DEF is 8.

Also something else that’s kind of noteworthy is that Bosses gain hard mode bonuses even if they’re set to not grow, and they use the class growths instead of their personal growths as Bosses normally do. Not sure if Zarg was aware of this or not.

Anyway, this Prologue map really is perfectly balanced tbh. Even in this absolute worst case scenario you can still just barely beat it. (well ofc you could miss some of your 90% hit attacks if you’re unlucky).

But at least this map could still be beaten even if there was no hit% RNG and every attack hit, even at it’s worst in terms of enemy stats. (Yeah I know I’ve said this a few times by now, but it bears repeating.)

Edit: Oh and ofc my minimum requirement to beat a map, other than not relying on luck, is that they’re ‘perfect’ wins where I get every side objective, don’t lose any unit, etc.

You could ofc beat it much more easily by forgoing some of the treasure chests.

There’s tons more I could say but I can’t be bothered to. I should still give some disclaimers though:

To get 0% growths I edited the player units growths. To change the enemy stats I used events after they’re loaded so they’re always the same (actually I mostly just changed HP/STR/DEF, since in the prologue those are the only relevant stats, and every enemy attack hits anyways.)

I also applied a patch which lets you give a universal hit% boost to every enemy. I gave them +100% so you can never avoid any attack.

For these reasons it would be very annoying and tedious to continue doing this for more chapters (though ofc still way less than resetting a million times) so I’ll probably not do this for more chapters, and like I said earlier I don’t think the game would be anywhere close to beatable, honestly I wasn’t even sure about the prologue, but who knows…

And lastly if someone want to try to do the same I guess I could make a patch file for it, assuming Zarg has no problem with it ofc. (Otherwise it’s not really THAT hard to do on your own either.)

1 Like

This is not something I expect from players, but as a heads-up for any who might want to do playtesting in the future for this project, you will be dabbling in this territory - not necessarily recording, but with everything else. Of course, I’ll be doing lots of this for the second route as well, just as I have with the first route.

The game is not designed to be beatable with those parameters in place, so I’m inclined to agree. One of the reasons I enhanced the weapon triangle bonuses was to make landing hits more consistent. I also increased hit rates on many weapons and while the enemy benefits from this too, much of it is offset by increased weapon triangle disadvantage.

Some units do get the bonuses, while some don’t. I’m inclined to think it has something to do with unitIDs, but I’m not quite sure. UnitIDs already have an impact on other things, like whether BWL data or their skills are saved or not.
This actually reminded me: I don’t think I changed the hard mode bonuses for Prologue? I remember you bringing it up before, but I must’ve forgot. Whoops! There was another instance I need to look into as well, but generally the bonuses don’t make a huge difference - the bonuses bosses get are smaller than what generics get.

This applies to anybody who might want to make and share a modified version of this project.
Aside from following the forum rules there are some more or less obvious caveats I should mention:

• Since there are assets in the original version of this project that are not free to use, creators of modified versions of this project are not allowed to distribute those assets or make them free to use. You’re also not allowed to share versions where you have edited existing non-free to use or free to edit assets. You can replace them with your own assets and share those if you want to, or replace them with free to use assets someone else has made.

• The creator of the modified version is the one who to contact if there are bugs. I can’t be certain what edits, changes or some such have been made, and what (unintended) consequences those changes might have. If it’s a bug that can be reproduced in the original version, then it can be reported to me.

• You make and play the modified version(s) knowing save file compatibility issues with any future versions of the original project are possible, if for whatever reason you’d need to swap between the original and modified version(s).

Edit: Don’t forget to give proper credit! This includes FeBuilder patches as well as ASM hacks you might have inserted. You can use my credits list as a base if you so choose, but your modified version of this project should come with a credits list of its own.

In short, don’t steal my stuff and I’m not the troubleshooter for any of the modified versions.
I reserve the right to change my mind on the matter, as well as to place any other conditions in case someone is trying to abuse a loophole, but if that happens I will express it clearly.
By uploading your modified version of this project somewhere - whether it be here in FEU or to some other site - you agree with the conditions mentioned.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, I was just making a general statement. I think that your take on the weapon triangle work perfectly for Eligor’s Spear, or Eligor’s Spear has been tailored to perfectly suit the WT.

The game strikes a nice balance between having consistent hit rates but also having pretty reliable evasion tanking as well.

Well considering the prologue is beatable even with these parameters then I suppose it’s not necessary.

Yeah scrap that last part of what I wrote, I really didn’t think much about the implications. I initially just ended up modifying the game for personal use out of necessity, without any intention to distribute it or anything.

I just thought on the last second while writing the post that if someone thinks I’ve done some funny stuff to the game to rig it in my favor or something then I’d need to prove my credibility, without any other considerations.

To give myself some slack I wrote it at 4am so I wasn’t thinking about much else other than that I was pretty happy that I finally got around to doing it and wanted to share. (Since a lot of people get the wrong impression that you need to rely on resetting until you get lucky.)

1 Like

Is lunatic mode tested and completable??
and what are the max stats end game? 30?

Current iteration of Lunatic mode is completable, but it’s not the definitive version, if you will. The patch I’ve been working on has some Lunatic mode changes, but like I stated in one of my update posts, there’s going to be a Lunatic mode -focused patch later down the line.

Max stats is indeed 30.

1 Like

so its advisable to w8 for this patch update to play a more complete lunatic?

Yes, if you were planning to play, I’d wait for the new patch.

2 Likes

@Zarg

Thank you for this hack, i really enjoyjed this.

Story was pretty good and gameplay on hard was veryy veryy hard so i had to complete it on normal mode.
Hack was very high quality, 1 of the best hacks i have played and i am looking forward for the other route now.

(gues lunatic is wayy out of my reach lol)

5 Likes

A new patch is now available!

Patch notes here

Patch notes:

• Ability to return to World Map has been added. Applies to chapters that are
    accessed from the World Map, except for Final I
    → When exiting battle preparations, press and hold the L button to get the prompt,
    answer Yes if you wanted to go back to World Map
  • Difficulty selection is now called with the L button after the chapter title has faded
  • Swordbreaker is now effective against thieves, rogues and assassins
  • Following characters have been buffed:
    -Danval: Speed +1, Luck+1, Strength +1, Steel Blade replaced with Light Brand
    -Aelys: Speed +2
    -Lexie: Strength +1, HP +2
    -Kevran: Speed growth from 60 → 100
  • Prf weapon for Agnessa is obtained at the end of “Tale of Conquest and Blood”. It has 9 might,
    15 crit, increases Speed by 3, 1-2 range but retains ability to double attack regularly.
  • Some of the weapon diversity has been reduced, and the use of Breaker weapons has been toned down across all difficulty settings
  • Gameplay-wise supports have been added to units who didn’t have any, support point gains
    have been adjusted
  • Angelic Harp boost has been changed from 5 → 3, but uses have been increased from 1 → 2
  • Silencer no longer gives bonus EXP
  • Sleep staves have been removed from “Nightmare’s Grasp”
  • Silver Card is obtained in “The Exalted Realm” as a drop item,
    and the one in “For Old Time’s Sake” has been replaced with a White Gem and Boots
  • White Gem in Final I has been replaced with Vigor Potion
  • Speed for Nerscylla, Cyclops and Gorgon in Final I has been slightly reduced
  • Normal mode version of Final I has been implemented with an enemy composition
    of its own and reduced reinforcements
  • Camian and Avanni have convoy access in Final II
  • “Exalted Realm” has a night time map palette
  • In “Bestowal of a Saint”, the side walls have a tile change on them when one/first switch
    (or second to last if on Lunatic) is activated
  • Eligor has been buffed: Djinnestan has its Hit increased, Eligor ignores phantoms
  • Eligor’s buffs in Final III “Tainted History” have been altered: he receives a buff each turn,
    with the 5th consecutive buff granting him the stronger weapon. Timer resets when he dies.
  • Anti-turtling reinforcements have been added to “Adversaries”. They appear on turn 21
  • Fort in the middle in “Slumber Disturbed” has been replaced with ruins tile. The gorgon egg’s level has been lowered (Lunatic)
  • F. Memento does something actually useful now
  • Non-paired endings have been added
  • Other small misc. changes

There are some placeholder events and text in the game; the plan is to replace them later with the real ones, whether that is along with second route content or in a patch of its own.

From this point on I’ll do little to no gameplay changes for this route, as I’m setting my sights on making the second route. I’ve been thinking how to spice up the gameplay aside from gimmicks, and one thing I consider implementing is more meaningful decision-making. That is, several chapters offering more than one way to clear them and mutually exclusive side-objectives, but we’ll see how far I’ll take those ideas.

That’s all for now. Thanks again to everyone for all the support, and be on the lookout for future updates!

10 Likes

That’s good news. The new patch makes a difference and more adjustable than the previous patch. Wish you luck on the Second Route, take your time with it.

2 Likes

We will get to see route 2 finally, cant wait to play!

2 Likes

@Zarg

Summary

Most of these changes seem all to the good and will likely make for a better experience only two things of note for me personally are

“Anti-turtling reinforcements have been added to “Adversaries”. They appear on turn 21”

Is this a second set of them? Or are these just the t255 units moved up to 21? (or were they just removed in a prior patch and I forgot and they are now added back in?)

“Fort in the middle in “Slumber Disturbed” has been replaced with ruins tile. The gorgon egg’s level has been lowered (Lunatic)”

This will make cheesing experience on that map substantially more difficult XD. Realistically probably a good change, just annoying for me specifically in attempting weird stuff like ironmans since now I’ll have to grind off of the upper left fort with promoted doggo instead.

It means the turn 255 ones.

I basically had DBZ Abridged Cell - experience with the middle fort. It kept bothering me so I had no choice but to change it.

Woahhhhhhh, nice, even if I’ve never really expressed my issues with the game constructively, or even at all really, a lot of these changes fix quite a few of them, mainly the weapon variety being toned down.

Those are some great changes, being able to grind EXP like that felt so out of place.

2 Likes

I’m not denying that it was a good call or appropriate.

Just very very very mildly irritated that I now have to do it the /hard/ way in the upper left instead due to this change.

Realistically the other two forts should get changed too, to stop it entirely.

1 Like

Hello,we are a group of Chinese public welfare organizations from China. Recently, we have finished Sinicization of The Burdened Crown,so we’re going to start sinicizing your works,and we all think Eligor is very cool .finally,we hope we can get your permission and you can take the time to reply,thanks

2 Likes

Hello, and thanks for the message!
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is sinicization? Is it translation to Chinese?