Every time I download a .ips file, an error message tells me 7zip can't open it as an archive. How do I fix this?

Every time I download a .ips file, an error message tells me 7zip can’t open it as an archive. How do I fix this?

To be entirely clear, are you trying to double click or open the file after you download it? That’s not going to work, you still need to actually open the patching software first. In a .ips file’s case, that’d be either Lunar IPS or FLIPS, or just the marcrobledo online patcher.

1 Like

The error message pops up every time a .ips file finishes downloading. I know 7zip shouldn’t be trying to open it, but it happens automatically and an error message appears saying this attempt failed.

I guess I’d recommend checking your file associations (like if a .gba file is associated with mGBA, clicking it will just open mGBA with the file loaded already), to see if .ips is in any way associated with 7zip (checking your default apps settings if you’re using Windows 11, maybe earlier versions too) or checking 7zip’s options to see what filetypes it can open.

If none of that works, maybe try uninstalling 7zip and either reinstalling it or using an alternative like WinRAR, PeaZip or Bandizip for a similar purpose, since it’s possible it got corrupted somehow.

1 Like

Excellent, resetting used apps to default worked. Thank you.