I know how to extract midi files from games such as FE New Mystery of the Emblem on DS with VGMTrans and similar programs, but something I’ve never found any info on is why the battle preparations theme for New Mystery is suddenly cut off and doesn’t have one of the best part of the songs in its actual Midi extracted from the game. For those who don’t know what I mean, I’m talking about the part that plays in the song at 2:28 minutes as shown here:
Has anyone created a midi file that restores this last part of the song and fully completes it to give it its proper full loop?
Here you go. It’s not been edited at all after extraction from its relevant file, though. You can use the SF2 you would normally extract through VGMTrans to help you with this.
fe12prep.mid (78.4 KB)
Should you (or anyone else) encounter such an issue with another DS game song in the future, here’s what you do:
Open the ROM file for the game in VGMTrans.
Find your song, click it, then where it says “Selected Collection”, scroll until you see something with a music note icon, it likely has the same name as the thing you clicked previous. You can double click it and see if VGMTrans says something about “SSEQ Chunk Header” in the top right to be sure you have the right file.
Right click that file and click “Save as original format”. It will not save with an extension, so go find it and add the “.sseq” extension to it.
Download this program called NinSeq-Viewer (click “Download raw file”).
Run it, “File” > “Open”, find your .sseq from earlier, “MIDI” > “Export to MIDI”, it’ll warn you it’s exporting the entire sequence or whatever, just click yes and you’ll have another extensionless file. Add “.mid” to the end of the name and voila.
Thank you so much! You’re a life saver, truly appreciated.
You’re both welcome
If you’d like to return the favor, please do your best to spread the method and tool around so if anyone ever has the same question, they’ll find the answer quickly. I didn’t make the tool, so there’s no need to credit me, all I did was find it, share it, and describe how to use it.