Dark Deity

But I do want praise the game for what it does bring.

Many classes have different niches, and it is explained that changing classes will heavily impact your gameplay and playstyle with those units in mind. For example, a healing focused role could be dedicated to a unit if you were to select the priest class over, say the inquisitor.

Not only that, but entire class trees have access to a skill they would all have regardless of which branch they travel down. These skills provide a use for characters to be used, even if they don’t seem like they would do much against a specific unit type.

Ex: The “Thief” classline has access to disarm. If my thief wasn’t able to do much against any enemies in range, they always have the option to disarm an opponent to help my other units survive when they probably wouldn’t.

I would say more if I got deeper into the game, but for now this is what I’ve found myself enjoying so far.

1 Like

I’m trying to think of what parts of the game are truly unique and stand out.

The weapon system? Each character gets four weapons. These weapons all have exactly the same niche, and the same four stats. You can level them up, but they have no depth. You lose brave weapons, effective weapons, weapons with unique skills and abilities, weapons that give cool stat-ups, weapons with extremely limited durability but powerful 1-3-time use powers such as siege tomes, etc.

Is the weapon system really that fresh and unique? It’s like if every character in GBA only got to pick from four basic Prf weapons each, but you could level them up to make them slightly stronger. Does this enhance the game??? I think not. It actually reduces strategy.

Then, we have the promotion system. This is literally just Awakening promotions. It’s already been done before, having more than 3 possible promotions for units. It’s also something that reduces unit complexity and strategy. Every unit has so many promotions that they lose their sense of personality and uniqueness.

Sure, units having cool skills is cool, but is this really some exciting DD-unique feature? FE13 already did it, and way better, too.

Maps? Maps are awful. They are absolutely the worst part of the game. Even FE13 had tactical positioning with terrain that forced you to consider hitrates, slight damage modifiers, healing on the next turn, and so on. And that’s just basic terrain, most romhacks have FAR better maps.

The UI is awful. Like, beyond awful, even. It was clearly made by someone who has no experience with UI design. I actually have UI design experience, as evidenced by my work improving FEBuilder’s UI a couple of years ago. (See: Character, Class, and Item Editors)

Units amount to stat blobs with one or two skills that define their playstyle. Sure, this is cool, but in exchange you sacrifice ALL the other strategic elements that make Fire Emblem gameplay good.

It’s hard to even say ‘what the developers should fix’ because the entire game from the top down is mediocre. I wouldn’t play romhacks with this little effort put into their design, and I’m sure as hell not plopping $20 onto a ‘professional’ indie game for that level of quality.

I have a friend who made his very first game. It isn’t this bad.

I have other friends right here on these forums that made their own first games as romhacks, free of charge. Alfred Kamon didn’t put out his first romhack as a full-priced indie game. If he had, I’d have had all the same criticisms. Midnight Sun circa 2012 was mediocre, just like Dark Deity. Instead, he spent those years learning basic game design, absorbing criticism, and using it to bolster his design philosophy. The same is true of Blademaster and Corrupt Theocracy, and plenty of other hackers in this very community.

We all start somewhere, but only some people choose to put out their first mediocre project for $20. If the DD devs had been honest enough to put their game out as Early Access, I’d have had NO criticisms for them! That’s all they had to do, but they didn’t. If they don’t want me to judge their game as a finished game, then maybe they should have not released it as such. They solicited our community for graphics and resources, so we have the duty to call them out for their Cyberpunk and Fallout 76-esque behavior. This modern game dev behavior is awful for the entire game design scene and should not be excused.

A copypasta from a discord server:
“so what if no man’s sky sucks and took people’s money on false promises, just stop talking about it now”
“so what if fallout 76 sucks and took people’s money on false promises, just stop talking about it now”
“so what if cyberpunk sucks and took people’s money on false promises, just stop talking about it now”
“so what if dark deity sucks and took people’s money on false promises, just stop talking about it now”

10 Likes

I know you deleted your post, but I hear these rebuttals a lot.

No Man’s Sky started out as sheer hot garbage. It has had a crapton of updates. While those updates have vastly improved it, I would argue it’s still a pretty awful game lacking identity with tons of major issues.

UI: Absolutely awful. The inventory menus are so clunky that they alone have made me drop the game.
Exploration: NMS is supposedly a game about space exploration, yet every update adds more and more content focusing on base building. It has become a non-voxel Minecraft set in space. That might sound awesome to some people, but it’s not the game we were promised.
Gameplay: Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle. You still click on resources to add them to your clunky inventory, then use them to refill your tools so you can extract more resources. That’s the gameplay loop. It’s awful.

No Man’s Sky is vastly better than when it released, but I’d argue it’s still a bad game. And what about Fallout 76? Is there any question? It’s still utterly awful. And Cyberpunk? Sure, maybe it will become a god-tier game, like the Witcher 3, but do you and I know it will for sure? I’d argue not.

Oh right, I forgot about MN9. Yet another example of kickstarter incompetence.

For those of you who were pissed at Mighty Number 9, try 20XX instead. Much better game along the same concept.

Not perfect, but quite fun.

2 Likes

yeah one of the most popular rpgs of 2015 was made in Gamemaker creating a huge community of toxicity and creativity

aka undertale

4 Likes

that isn’t true in the slightest, there will always be ‘best classes’ that every character able to should go into especially with the low effort maps and how large they can be surely the classes with the highest move must be better

I’m not arguing that the game isn’t bad I’m just saying that it definitely doesn’t have class balance, no game similar to fire emblem will.

oh shoot that was you? Good work man. the UI for those editors are very intuitive

1 Like

Original class editor circa 3 years ago:
https://i.imgur.com/Ff4LJSK.png

A rework I made, which wasn’t added:
https://i.imgur.com/f9yomjp.png

A compromise version I finalized and 7743 added:
https://i.imgur.com/nm83zhl.png

You can compare the ones I posted in my old English Translation topic to the three we have now.

I’d fix all the other editors, but ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat.

1 Like

yeah dude your edits made the menus look so much cleaner, the old menu wasn’t bad but yours just makes much more sense and the compromised one, in my opinion looks even better! Major props.

2 Likes

Back to Dark Deity, a very cool video just dropped.

A quick look at every map in the game.

15, 19, 27, and 28 are the real award winners.

5 Likes

I’ve been hearing about the grave wounds system and how it’s better than permadeath, since I haven’t played would anyone mind giving a quick run-down? Far as I understand it you lose a random stat point whenever you take a death?

It’s not random; apparently, it’s based off the enemy weapon damage type that kills you (which weapon type causes which stat drop is never fully explained, as far as I know). However, the stat drops are fairly minimal and can be undone with a level or two given how inflated growths are. The bigger penalty is losing experience for the rest of the chapter on that unit since experience growth is also really high.

I definitely don’t agree that it’s better than permadeath. Removing permadeath means you can kind of just throw your units around wherever and be just fine. I can confirm this since I did exactly that with Irving. He died probably around 10 times or so, lost quite a few stats (when he wasn’t getting -0 Magic, lol), and still was near the top of my damage chart by endgame. All in all, the grave wounds system is negligible and kind of lame, imo.

4 Likes

That sounds like “This is but a scratch.”, except unironically.

Ah thanks for the explanation. Sounds better than what I thought it was like, but based on my own Casual mode playthroughs, simply having the unit come back in the next chapter changes a lot even if they come back with a stat penalty of 1 point in one stat.* It’s not the punishment that forces the player to be more careful that permadeath can be.

Personally I’d have taken off an entire level (i.e. your growths rates are the chance of losing a point in each stat)

*Hell if it’s a healer or utility unit they basically lose nothing, they don’t use stats.

4 Likes

that thumbnail legit just saved me from buying this

3 Likes

I’m quite late to this but I only started recently reading up on Dark Deity. Can’t speak for anything gameplay related but this tweet is a joke.

Many of these professional VAs knew exactly what they were signing up for: an indie title made by one guy, when they signed the dotted line. There was never a pretense of some kind of bonus pay for hitting a sales goal. You can’t make a stink about being paid industry rates when you are doing this for an indie developer when there was never a promise to boost pay after the fact.

Interesting how nobody that was part of the project made noise about getting paid 20% of the industry rate. Because they’re adults and knew what they were putting their name on.

Also when people responded to that tweet, he backpedaled and was less passive aggressive. Clearly this guy refused to sign up for the project because he didn’t like the low pay. But I mean… fine? No need to make a tweet like that.

There’s something else to be said when massive AAA game developers low-ball voice actors below industry rates, because that is scummy and exploitative, and that is where unions get involved. But this? Come on.

Everyone can criticize DD for its gameplay or UI, but let’s not pretend that they’re some dev team that tried to undercut voice actors.

I know i’m late to the thread but I really wanted to emphasize this in case people took this out of context tweet screen-cap seriously.

7 Likes

I wonder how you guys will react when CMB drops :joy:

I haven’t tried Dark Deity yet, but I would support the devs regardless. That is, if you want more games of this ilk dropping on Steam.

As mentioned, it’s programmed mainly by one person and made with Game Maker Studio. Their next game is bound to be 10x better, so I’d give them the leeway to allow for that next release to be awesome. I can’t even imagine trying to make CMB as a solo programmer, it’d take ages and be super stressful. It’s a marvel that he’s even made a successful release alone – hats off to him!

1 Like

I mean, if most of people’s issues are with the maps, balancing, etc. then it doesn’t seem like the programming is the issue here, right?

Then, it’s probably even fixable by launching updates and DLC with better quality tiles and level design.

Buying the game helps make those things happen, imo

As would funding the game. Oh wait…

3 Likes

The problems with the game are on a fundamental level. Unless there is a massive update that basically reworks the entirety of the game design (there won’t be) then this isn’t happening. It’s already pretty obvious they don’t care very much because they couldn’t be bothered to even play through the game before throwing it on the store as “completed”.

1 Like

I’ll have to see for myself, then. In any case, I find this topic educational as a dev