Curious About the Process of Making a ROM

Hey all! I’m sure this has been answered before in some fashion, but I’m new to roms and I was wondering how much goes in to making a rom, specifically within FE. I have a ton of ideas but I’ve never messed with this stuff before and just wondered if it was something that is relatively easy to learn. Also curious if people like to hear/make roms suggested by people or collaborate, etc. Ty in advance and sorry for the newb question!

1 Like

That sort of depends on your definition of easy.

Febuilder, which is geerally is used for gba rom hacking, really facilitates and streamlines the hack making process once you get used to it, it still has its own specifics and difficulties though.

Feuniverse also has a resource for things such as custom battle animations, portraits and music, which helps a lot in making your own hack more unique from the vanilla games.

But when it comes to making the game itself…

I will say it as someone who only used it a few times in the past, mostly for small personal projects that were either 1 or 3 chapters long, I can say it is hard, I honestly have no idea how people here manage to make projects as big and well done like the official games.

Even my small projects took a good amount of time and patience to be made, heck, when I tried my hand at it again recently this year, I got burned out after a few days and dropped the peoject.

Of course, I’m the sort of person who gets burned out easily and is that tends to give up easily, so if you are more patient and passionate, then it is possible, but it will need dedication, a lot of it.

Might be worth making a small project to get the feel of it. Of course, feel free to jump in a big project right away if you want to, of course.

If you need helping finding some resources or tutorials, feel free to ask.

1 Like

Thanks for your experience! That puts things into perspective a little bit. I tend to be able to stick to things pretty well, must be the perfectionist part of me lol the story/game I currently have would definitely be a large project, as it involves changing a decent amount of the vanilla story and quite a few of the characters. I have a lot of free time at work so I spend it writing ideas down and drawing up characters and whatnot.

1 Like

I see, I wish you good luck then, you might find it to be a fun thing to try put during your free time.

1 Like