(Complete 10 Sep 2021) Kartal's Fire Emblem Wars (Advance Wars 2 hack)

Not a heck of a lot I did with this account in the past, but I have used it to post about ASM relating to Fight Speed in Fire Emblem 1 and 5, and also posted a topic with a list of suggestions about how to improve Armor Knights. That aside…

(Oh, and excuse the post being off the topic of Fire Emblem Wars. My goodness the issue is that big a problem.)

I have past experience with the Advance Wars communities and I can testify that they are filled with problems. In regards to these new developments, I have this to say:

What I recognize is that Mangs, GipFace, and their enablers already need to be marginalized for all the loads that they have pulled. When the enablers prove themselves even worse than I thought, that’s where I need to say something. I understand my video is likely pushing things with your wishes, Kartal, but at this point, the power abuse in the Advance Wars communities is such a problem that it’s going to stand out anyway. I’m additionally personally affected by the mess with the second backstabber both as somebody who was already anti-Mangs even before the allegations against Mangs came out, and as somebody who does wish to see things improve with Advance Wars in general. Slander campaigns unfortunately have given me problems doing anything useful to effectiveness.

I can at least point you to the guy behind this in the interest of providing you somebody to talk with about more active hacking ventures:

This guy has been doing a custom project named Custom Wars that has been around for the longest time, and he’s mercifully friendly enough. I imagine he would give you proper credit too. Something to get something working going with this at least.

Either way, these problems from the Advance Wars communities have to stop. All the damage they have caused, my God.

4 Likes

For the third tutorial map and afterwards (except the Bonus tutorial map, since that felt more like an extra unlockable map or something), I didn’t really have that much difficulty with them, but I kinda found the massive difficulty jump between the second and third tutorial maps to be pretty jarring. It didn’t even felt like a tutorial map at all, but more like something along the lines of a mid game or war room Advance Wars map. I really don’t these maps should’ve been placed in the tutorial catagory tbh, but in the War Room instead.

Edit: Also, I kinda have some issues with the Naval Units. For starters, why does the Dragon Tower (which is supposed to be the Advance Wars Version of a Port) produce Fire Dragons, when Fire Dragons can’t even move on water whatsoever, and why do they need to be on the towers to repair themselves, when they should be able to do so on literally any other land property? Honestly, the Fire Dragons should’ve switch places with the Cosairs instead, since Cosairs are Naval units and would make more sense to produce them on a Port-like property.

The other one is in regards to Pegasus Knights and Ocean Dragons. For some odd reason, when I tried to have a Pegasus Knight attack the Ocean Dragon, they were unable to do so, even though the Ocean Dragons are unsubmerged. This was made very apparent with the Erika and Ephraim War Room Capture Map, with that one Ocean Dragon sitting in one spot the entire time and not submerging. And the description of Ocean Dragons reads that they can only not be attacked by flying units while submerged.

And also for maps where you have to island hop from one place to another, there doesn’t seem to be any way to transport any non-capture ground units from one island to another whatsoever. Might want to add another sea unit that acts like a transport for the Dragon Tower.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, everyone felt that difficulty jump. I plan to make that map easier when I have the time.

The Dragon Tower wasn’t intended to be a replacement for the Port. The Red Dragon is deployed from there because it’s a powerful unit and I wanted to prevent it getting healed from Villages. Corsairs are hybrid ground and naval units, and also anti-air units. They were intended for river battles too and I wanted to keep a flexibility. If they were deployed from a Port-like property, then maps with air units would only have other air units (and the Hero) to counter air units. The tutorial mentions that Ocean Dragons can’t be targeted by secondary weapons. Pegasus Knights only carry a secondary weapon. This was done due to a glitch caused when attacking a sub with a secondary weapon.

Let’s just say, I had a few interesting ideas. And I was limited by the core AW at parts. I didn’t want the units to be just AW units, so I made up my own unit relations instead.

I entertained the possibility of adding a Lander equivalent in the future. Another type of sea dragon would serve that role, though the AI sucks very much with naval transport, as I recently found out. Landers are completely unused if the unit can reach you by land, and there’s a faulty Lander protecting AI, which fails due to Landers moving last in the turn and moving away from their protectors. So it’s quite tough to make the AI behave somewhat competent with the navy.

I’ve recorded a short gameplay commentary to create a positive atmosphere.

5 Likes