Competition to Edit Levels Interestingly, Creatively, and Amazingly: CELICA

“Entrants may use whatever engine they desire. Engines include GBAFE, SNESFE, FEXNA/Tactile, SRPG Studio, or Lex Talionis. If hacking, entrants may use whatever method they prefer.”
Are engines that are not listed allowed?
“Design your chapter as if it would be played on a Game Boy Advance.”
What exacly does this mean? Does gamepad support mandatory or does keybord and mouse only allowed?

This list is not exhaustive. Other engines are allowed.

This is in reference to entries using Game Boy Advance Fire Emblem as an engine. A GBAFE submission should not use anything only available on an emulator. For any other engine, your control scheme is entirely up to you. No gamepad support is necessary, and mouse and keyboard is perfectly acceptable.

In addition, I will be picking the judges over the weekend. If you are interested, please put your name down in this thread.

I’ll add my name to the list of contender for a Judge position.

I’m still on fence on making something to submit, but the rules contemplate the scenario of being judge and participant so I can still decide to make something later. :smiley:

1 Like

I would be interested in possibly participating in this by submitting a game, however I wished to ask something regarding the rules. Is usage of art that you do not own the copy right to allowed? aka, using someone else’s art? I am very much not artistically inclined and I am obviously not trying to make money from it, so it would legally probably be fine. Additionally, I have a piece of AI art which I wish to base one of my character off of (I didn’t pay for the AI art as AI art doesn’t deserve to any profits since their work is based on theft of other artists), however I do not know if people would be okay with this, so I’d like to check in beforehand

When do you think we’ll hear who else will be judges?

@TranquilShrine
General asset usage must comply with FEU’s credit policy. As a rule of thumb, art labelled F2U (Free to Use) or F2E (Free to Edit) are acceptable to use with appropriate credit.
AI usage in addition must comply with FEU’s AI policy.
@SubwayBossEmmett
Probably after this weekend.

Thanks for clarification!

Do the music and the sound design affect the score? If yes, which one? I would assume that the graphics one.

Music falls under presentation, which is the graphics category. I’ll update the rules to clarify that.

I would like to specify some things about the length.
What is “chapter” and “map” in context of this competition.
Would “Daybreaks” from FE9 be allowed? it’s one chapter in name, uses the same map, and allows to save after every “castle”.
Would a boat map that transforms into a boat-on-a-beach map be allowed?

A chapter is a level in a Fire Emblem game. A map is what you play a chapter on. For the purposes of this competition, any chapter with multiple maps (such as the final chapter of FE8) would not be allowed.
FE9 Chapter 17 is effectively composed of four seperate maps in gameplay, and would not be allowed.
If the beach is a tile change, that’s fine. If the beach is a seperate map (using the LOMA command), it’s not.

What about hypothetical (Fates conquest spoilers) Conqest’s chapter 27 and engame where upon killing Garon the chapter won’t end, instead all the changes would be made by tile changes and enemy reinforcements, and all blue units wil be transported to new starting positions without any battle preps
Is the chapter like that allowed?

Conquest’s chapter 27 and endgame (and the similar 27-endgame sequences in BR/Rev) is very definitively two chapters. It has a whole chapter transition screen with a new chapter title and a preps screen, you’re just not allowed to save in it.

By “single chapter”, we mean “single gameplay level”, and it’s generally pretty obvious what is or isn’t that in FE. If it’s loading you into new starting positions on a new map, that’s a new chapter.

Conquest Chapter 27 and Final are two seperate chapters. A submission like that would be disqualified.

If a submission is excessively long, the judges reserve the right to penalise its score.

For whatever reason, people tend to process “Make a fun chapter” (or whatever the contest title happens to be) as “make a grandiose end game adjacent map that takes like two hours to play”.

Dont do that. That is not fun. Make a fun chapter.

7 Likes

This right here is the biggest piece of advice I can give to people as a judge for MARTH, it’s VERY exhausting after a while to play through a huge map that rivals some of FE6s lategame maps when there’s like 10+ of them even if those entries were high in quality

On a personal note idk if I’ll submit something or not, seems fun but I’ll have to see if I have the time

3 Likes

Speaking from experience from playing everything in MARTH, having to learn the skillsets, item sets, strengths and weaknesses of over a dozen units and the hack expecting you to know all of this can get pretty exhausting.

In normal FE, these are usually fed to you over time and you know your squad because you form it yourself. Nothing wrong with a smaller skirmish, bigger doesn’t necessarily mean more fun and can result in tedium kr being overwhelming.

8 Likes

I was talking about hypothetical amalgamation of chapters 27 and 28, not just chapters 27 and 28. And as I said that amalgamation doesn’t have battle preps and “whole chapter transition screen with a new chapter title”.
So why does this is not allowed? I understand why it would get penalized for lengths, but why does it get disqualified?
What confuses me the most is that FE4 maps are allowed. So in my example, the player fights enemies of same allegiance in the same room and in short time period - that’s not allowed.
But average chapter in FE 4 features several different enemy factions, takes place in country sized regions, and lasts for several in game years, and most importantly it does not feel at all like “single gameplay level”. Despite all that it’s still allowed.

Are you gonna make the hack or are you gonna keep rules lawyering

4 Likes

I have a slightly similar question. Could our hack be similar to the Sacred Contention hack, where there are two maps that are the exact same layout, just with different player armies between the two?

Announcing the judges for CELICA!

This time, the judges are @Rivian , @LegendofLoog , and @Levin64 !

In addition to myself, these three people will be playing each submission. Each of them will have their own opinions on different aspects of a chapter, and I am glad to have a variety of opinions on board.

One week of development time has passed. It’s not too late to start coming up with ideas if you haven’t already. Good luck to all entrants.

@Mr.Bingle If you implement it in such a way where it’s one map where you can choose an army, that is acceptable. Judges are under no obligation to play every route of such a chapter.

13 Likes