Character Specific Animations FE Builder

Hey guys, I am trying to figure out how to work the custom animation patch for FE8.
This patch allows usage of multiple character specific animations for a given class, akin to FE7.
If any guides are available or any advice at all would be appreciated.

1 Like

It’s in the patches for FE Builder. You install the installer then you can set the animations.

Thanks for the reply. I have already done that step.
My issue is that the interface isn’t intuitive to me and therefore not sure how to set multiple weapons per character.

So what you’re asking is to set a different animation for specific weapons under a specific character correct?

Yes.
Do I just set “Anime” to 0 multiple times and then this saves automatically, or do I extend the list and add the Character multiple times and basically repeat the process for each instance?

Sorry for the delayed response working…What I have done for this is as followed and if someone has a better suggestion feel free to say something.

I set the character and the class I wanted to use.
For the Anime list I went to a class that had no animations like the various civilian classes and set the animations I wanted there. I clicked on Write to ROM then verified that it had the animation pointer.

I made sure to copy the animation pointer information into the Anime slot for the custom animations and that is how I have tested and done it.

If you have any other questions please ask.

Excuse me, so is the question how do you use the patch to assign weapon specific animations to specific characters instead of specific classes?

For example are you trying to give “Character A” a unique animation when using Durandal but “Character B” who is also a mercenary but when he uses Durandal he doesn’t get the unique animation?

Thanks for the replies, nothing too fancy.
I just wanted to know if there was a step-by-step guide to working the patch.
In FE7 for example, Lloyd has his own unique Swordmaster animation and battle sprite.
Just trying to replicate that without screwing up the game.

Oh, then I can help out. I’m assuming you already know how to insert a unique animation into the game using the battle animations menu.

Step 1: Open Up the Patch Menu

I’m sure you’re familiar with this screen. Use extended list to add more character slots outside of just the one it gives you.

The unit number represents which unit you’re putting the animation on and then class represents what class that unit has to be before the animation you apply to them will appear. So since Lloyd has his own unique animation as a swordmaster, you’d need to put the class as “Swordmaster” and if he is a myrmidon at any point only generic myrmidon animations would play. Unless of course you set up an additional character slot for Lloyd as a myrmidon.

Step 2: Finding the animation you want to apply

This is where it gets a little complicated. As you can see in the photo the important thing you need to copy here is the hex address of animations for certain classes not the animations themselves. Let’s say I wanted to make Eirika have the Lord Map Sprite but all of her animations are a Myrmidons.

So I select unit ID Eirika and then Class ID Eirika Lord, then copy the hex address in the picture above and move onto the next step. However let’s use Lloyd as an example again. You want Lloyd to have his specific animations without changing the animations for all swordmasters, so you have to be a funny with it.

Assuming you’ve already put his animations in the game through using the extended list in the battle animations menu you now have to apply those animations to a class to get the hex address like in the picture above. You have a few options here:

1. You put Lloyd’s animations on an unused battle class like the Pontifex or Queen class and then use that hex address.

Just adding animations to the Pontifex class means someone can retain their base class’ hovering map sprite but have their own unique animations.

2. Go to what will be an enemy only class that does not use swords and make Lloyd’s animations the sword animation for that class. I.E. a solider. This is so when the enemy uses these animations they will always have a weapon equipped so you can place Lloyd’s sword and unarmed animation on that class. (This also works really well with monster classes)

So this image shows if you wanted a sword locked unit to have Eirika’s animations, so you would copy the hex address of the arch mogal with it’s disarmed and sword animations set to base lord Eirika’s.

3. Putting it in action

So you take that hex address and copy paste it in “Anime” to set the animations you want that character to use. So for Lloyd you put his unit ID where it says “1” next to Eirika, and then put the Swordmaster class ID (15) where it says Class.
(Also I’m still not sure what setting anime to 0 and doing the new allocation means but just do it anyway it hasn’t crashed my game yet.)

This tells the game that whenever Eirika is in the class “Female Lord” play the Female Myrmidon animations instead of the class based animations the female lord class has instead.

Here Eirika has her regular map sprite

But her animations are that of a female myrmidon.

In conclusion, this is only the most basic way to use it. You could also make weapon specific animations and apply them to certain classes if a unit will only use the literal same weapon every time they’re fielded. Or you could modify one of the unused classes to just be a second swordmaster with different animations. But this is how the patch works to the best of my knowledge.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask for clarifications.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the greatly detailed explanation. You have basically answered my request.
A few questions remain: would this method mean I have a limited number of slots in which to place custom animations? I ask this because you advise using an existing class with no animations as a base.
Which brings up the point, wouldn’t it then just be easier to copy-paste the actual classes with different animations.

Technically you can add as many animations into your rom as you want, but the amount of classes in the game to use the slot seems very finite. You could very well just copy-paste the same class to use different animations but this patch is designed to make that copy pasting easier. Not having to deal with copying base-stats, growth-rates, weapon ranks, etc.

In short, yeah you can just copy paste. It is just that with this patch you can put a lot of unique animations on an unused class and have a lot of units grab animations from it.

Ok that makes life easier.
Appreciate all your help.

2 Likes