Can you break vanilla Fire Emblem?

What about the clone glitch in FE11? If you warp a unit, but cut the animation at some point by pressing the start button, then another version of the unit is made where the unit once stood, which can be interacted with. If you warp that version, the original version of the unit warps to the destination. My guess is that it has to do with the fact that you cut the routine before it could be completed, and therefore it may have resulted with one unit in origin, and one in destination.

Got this from the FE11 TAS

I also distinctly remember seeing someone use the arena with a cloned unit and the enemies in the arena were disarmed, but I can’t find it.

1 Like

This was an accidental discovery I made when using a patch that hijacks the ! notification in fog to display other graphics above units’ heads (namely, a :heart: when support points have been gained). The vanilla routine allocates an “animated sprite slot” to show the graphic, but IS didn’t bother to deallocate it when it was done. Eventually all 20 slots are consumed, so other animations that need those slots (moving/hover map sprites, world map buildings, menu cursors) can’t secure a slot and their animation never plays.

I guess they figured no one was bad enough at the game to bump into enemies in fog 20 times without powering the console off in frustration ¯\__(ツ)__/¯

5 Likes

Fire Emblem programming bad.

Using torch staff on the left edge of the map can break the flame graphic.
This is a phenomenon that occurs only in FE8J and has been fixed in FE8U.

Also, Fimbulvetr’s ice grains are drawn in particle, so they can be frozen by random numbers.

Mine glitch and torch glitch are the famous glitches that represent GBAFE.
You can control the enemy by resetting and restarting.
This technique is also used in TAS and RTA.

I think it would be great if other glitches could clarify the principle and contribute to the time of TAS and RTA.

2 Likes

I’ve no clue how to replicate it, but I’ve used a torch staff in Battle Before Dawn and seen way more of VRAM than I was supposed to.

In fe7, there’s an enemy cavalier with a knight’s crest in the Vaida defend map. If you use the mine glitch to promote him, you’ll be stuck looking at his promoted sprite until you reset.

The famous Enemy Control Glitch comes to mind. Aside from just controlling the enemies, their “portraits”, which appear when trading and such, are displayed as a bunch of mixed up pieces of graphics from recent game memory. I believe this happens because the game tries to call a portrait that doesn’t exist.

(One would think that it would just display the class card. But it doesn’t)

In FE3 v1.0, attempting to use the hammerne staff on a weapon and then backing out still grants you the exp you would get if you used it. Leveling works fine too, of course there’s no animations or anything.
and of course this is pretty minor in the grand scheme since hammerne is Lena/Malicia prf

Oh, bonus fact. Not a glitch but you can tint the map with button combos while on the prep screen in FE3, it’s like messing with an rgb slider. It all resets when you start the map of course, just a weird little hidden feature
L+R+A+up/down for red
L+R+X+up/down for blue
L+R+Y+up/down for green
L+R+B resets it
Fire Emblem - Monshou no Nazo v1.0 (Japan)000

1 Like

I’ll assume you want any old glitch. In which case there’s quite a lot:

GBA Torch Bug: Torch any tile in a GBA game, then try attacking from that tile. You’ll have super canto with any mounted unit that does this. (Or any unit at all I think? Not sure if it’s any unit or just mounts) This may also happen if you attack from the tile a snag started on before it breaks.

In FE4, if you beat chapter 7 without recruiting or killing Tailto’s daughter, she’ll end up in your base in Chapter 8 anyways, but deploying her blocks your castle and makes it impossible to deploy units further. You can still Arena with her and sell her items, though.

FE1 is full of them. The manakete Defense bug has been posted. But if you arrange the Pegasus Trio in a certain way they’ll be able to Triangle Attack in Arena battles. Also, if you are under the effect of Barrier or Pure Water and attempt to use a Talisman, the item doesn’t do anything but your RES is permanently capped.

Here’s one I learned from the FE1 TAS but have yet to try out: In any chapter with a preparation menu, go to the map and click on the tile a blue unit was in in the previous map. (So if say you had a unit finish at the top-left corner tile, that’s the tile you’d click) The unit will suddenly appear on that tile and be force-deployed into the chapter. I haven’t experimented with it myself but it’s pretty amusing to see the TAS do it.

Oh yeah, I can iterate on this one. This glitch behaves differently between versions of FE11.

According to my reading, in the Japanese version, the clone disappears at the end of that phase.

In the US version however, as Shtick said, this clone can be interacted with. This applies for enemies as well, they can’t initiate combat afaik (I’m assuming on that bit) but the clone does exist physically and enemies will not be able to pass it. TLDR It’s kind of like a makeshift light rune.
I learned about this glitch by triggering it accidentally once in Endgame

Lastly the European version fixed it despite coming out before the US version.
Also that’s the brainest strat ever holy shit, good TAS. I should try and play with this a bit

There was an infamous glitch all the way back in Genealogy of the Holy War, which was related to Seliph’s promotion and his unique “ability” to dismount.

Not only is this entirely useless (Seliph is guaranteed to have Nihil, so he doesn’t have horse weakness anyway, plus dismounting drops his stats), but if you leave the base, dismount and then press B to cancel your action, there’s a good chance Seliph will either remain with his turn spent for the rest of the game or even disappear from the map entirely, which obviously means you can’t seize, therefore you can’t win.

Now save your game here and voilá! You have an unwinnable playthrough.
You can read more about it here:

1 Like