CAM MAKE A LIGHT THEME I WANNA KEEP MY EYES AROUND JAtwood is a dumdum

CAM MAKE A LIGHT THEME I WANNA KEEP MY EYES AROUND

JAtwood is a dumdum

2 Likes

Dark theme is easier on your eyes…

Your statement is objectively false and represents a minor amount of the knowledge present in the argument.

Going to be lazy and quote:

unlike you people I actually live in good lighting conditions
so dark themes hurt my eyes like light themes hurt yours you stupid broody darkness edgelords
[snip]
No, it’s a contrast thing
My room is well lit by bright, clean “blue” light (Meaning it’s closer to white in visual perception) and therefore even though monitors give out blue light too, if what’s being displayed on the monitor is substantially darker than everything else around it causes eye strain
This works in reverse tooI
it’s because of how your eyes work, yknow? Adjusting themselves to light levels and all.
But if they mismatch they get confused
and you end up with strained vision
thus if you’re in a poorly lit room that’s lit solely by your monitor or only otherwise with muddled orange light (The standard type of bulb color) and without adequate sunlight to make up for it, you’ll register the lighting conditions as low, despite being blasted by blue monitor light right in front of you
Such conditions are actually very bad for your health, and it’s actually a pretty notorious contributor to myopia
there’s your fun fact for the day

So that said while for those of us that suffer from this dark theme are minimal in number the fact that we suffer exists and Cam specifically told me to make a thread about it

blue light is not a contributor to myopia, please check your facts. you also have to have the equivalent of 3 months’ consecutive exposure to it for it to have any effect on your vision.

ahhh no im blind i cant hack anymore i blame feu

I’m going to go complain on every internet forum that I don’t like their light themes so they should change their website designs to accommodate my fee-fees.

You poor, dainty child.

Do… do you not have real problems? Or is this really at the top of your priority list?

I almost envy you.

I was just quoting Mari (because, again, laziness); while I’ve actually heard both from credible sources I had no knowledge on if there were more recent results because I’d gotten sick of finding both things
I don’t suppose I could plead with you to give me a starting point on conclusive evidence on this, because checking my facts yet again I find both arguments made-- and this time with more case studies supporting that myopia / eye strain in general is caused by deficiency of sunlight and light mismatch, which from my understanding is similar to what Mari was saying in the first place; that lacking sunlight and staring at a bright monitor is bad for your eyes (but that a dim monitor in a dark environment is not as bad for your eyes).

[Though I submit I’ve only looked for a bit over an hour, and my actual memories on the subject are not very clear on which things were proven/disproven/not proven]

[quote=“Kirb, post:5, topic:2791, full:true”]
ahhh no im blind i cant hack anymore i blame feu
[/quote]not sure how seriously you mean this, but for me I like not getting my eyes all confused from suddenly not looking at my screen which happens more often by huge margin with dark colors like FEU uses

[quote=“Klokinator, post:6, topic:2791, full:true”]
I’m going to go complain on every internet forum that I don’t like their light themes so they should change their website designs to accommodate my fee-fees.

You poor, dainty child.
[/quote]see you say this likely meaning it as a joke or attempt at an insult but I would seriously say that not having both is at least a slight flaw because eye strains are serious problems and i’ve ran into it numerous times over this summer when trying to hack (heck, I ran into dizziness when I was making this post because of how long it is and how many various colors the things I was looking at decided to use for their background / foreground texts).

[quote=“Umbra, post:7, topic:2791, full:true”]
Do… do you not have real problems? Or is this really at the top of your priority list?

I almost envy you.
[/quote]it became convienent to have thread
it’s nowhere near top, it’s just relatively easy to make a thread on the subject and it is something that makes me have difficulty using this site for multi-hour hacking sessions which are nice to do

/still never sure how to treat replying to things so went with all the things

1 Like

Opinions, opinions.
Personally, I don’t really care which colour the forums are, but since as far as I know they’ve always been black, they may as well stay that way. If a toggle is painless to put in then go right ahead, but if it’s effort, is it really worth it for one person? (Once the forum did go down and things were white for a few hours. My eyes were burning.) Honestly, it really depends on the site. If I go to YouTube, I’m expecting white, for example. Here, I’d expect black. But no-one likes walls of text, so I’ll just sum up my opinion.

Is it simple to implement? Go ahead, it’s not like it would be hard.

If it isn’t simple, then go to this:

Is there mass demand? The people want it, so it might be worth the effort.
Is just one person complaining? Sorry, that sounds like a whole lot of time and effort for one single user.

4 Likes

based on the feedback form it looks like more people want a lighter theme than i thought so i’m probably gonna push this up my priority list a bit

Well, tell Mari they are misinformed.

From Juvenile myopia progression, risk factors and interventions:

Urbanization and educational attainment also has some contribution toward myopia development but only explains a small proportion of the variance seen. Near work has been identified as a risk factor but with a weak association and difficult to quantify.

From Myopia, genetics, and ambient lighting at night in a UK sample:

Conclusion: This study provides further support for the view that night-time light exposure during infancy is not a major risk factor for myopia development in most population groups. In a subset of this cohort for which spectacle prescriptions were available for both parents (49 trios), the heritability of ocular refraction was estimated to be 0.31.

From Eyewiki’s article on Myopia:

There is currently no consensus on whether ambient nighttime lighting during early childhood is a true risk factor for myopic development.

From The Study of Progression of Adult Nearsightedness (SPAN): Design and Baseline Characteristics:

None of the aforementioned studies has demonstrated a compelling relationship between adult myopia progression and near work. Clinicians may tell their patients that their adult myopia progression is related to their computer use. Nonetheless, there is little evidence to support this assertion. Rather, the association has been based on the occupation and education levels of different groups of subjects.

2 Likes

You poor, dainty child.

if this is the level of discussion this thread is going to result in, i think it’s time this topic is done

2 Likes