Better icons for HP bars, effectiveness warnings, and battle stats with anims off

UPDATE 2023-07-06: Freeze icon has been replaced with Sleep icon in the status effect icons. There’s another image called WarningHpSheet_FreezeInsteadOfSleep which you should use only if you’re using the FE Fates Freeze status effect.

Good afternoon! So we all love the HP bars, effectiveness warnings, and battle stats with animations off hacks, right? But they’ve always looked kinda… “programmer art”. I have my own versions of these icons that are a bit more polished, which it has recently occured to me i should share:

To use the new icons, just put the relevant files wherever the original ones were (e.g. put the battle stats files in your Battle Stats With Anims Off folder). FEBuilder users, the equivalent is in your FEBuilderGBA folder, then config\patch2\whatever game you are using\FE8-Battle Stats with Anims Off. There are several versions of the Battle Stats with Anims Off and HP Bars patches; make sure you replace the images for whichever one you are actually using.

Here’s how the HP/warning/etc icon raw looks:
WarningHpSheet
Aside from the HP bars, “!” icons, and speech bubble icon looking more polished, you’ll notice that the Silence icon now consistently has an “X” in it instead of having a “…” for the middle frame. I originally put a “!” in the talk bubble instead of a “…”, but that made it look too much like the effectiveness warnings. Additionally, a speech bubble with “…” is a universal symbol for talking and the Silence status effect is so rarely used that i can’t imagine anyone getting confused into thinking the talk bubble is Silence. The music note icon (something that is entirely unused in base FE8) has been shrunken to 8×8 to make space in case you need two more 8×8s. (Yeah, i wanna figure out how to use icons for more purposes in future. They’re underutilized!)

Here’s how they look in-game (yes, that’s the Christmas shitpost hack serving as example fodder):
new warning icons w straight hp bars1 new battle stats demonstration

As with the original HP/warning/stat icons, these are free to use, edit, whatever! If you edit the images, make sure to run them through png2dmp again so they get properly installed.

23 Likes

as the person who made the original graphics for battle stats with anims off please i beg of you use these ones they’re cleaner and more in line stylistically with the rest of the game

8 Likes

Hi, I’m not sure if this was intentional, but currently this is the icon associated with sleep for your improved icons:

As I said, I’m not sure if it’s intentional, but to me it looks like that is supposed to be for silence. I went ahead and updated the image so that sleep looks like this instead (I haven’t touched anything else):

Here is the icon image:

Icon image

1 Like

For knowledge’s sake, it’s “”““intentional””“” in that in 2015-2016, the original thing HP bars was made for, it was decided that replacing Sleep with Fates’ Freeze status (which only stops movement, hence, boot with X) was a good idea and this error keeps getting re-propagated.

4 Likes

This was unintentional; thanks for pointing it out. I wrongly assumed the “boot crossed out” icon was used for Stone status in FE8.

edit: link has been updated

1 Like