As a dark skin minority I usually don't feel attached to characters so I'm "making" my own but I could use some help with the mouth animations

I know it sounds weird and honestly it kinda is but whenever I play hacks or even mainline games there’s always a disconnect between me and the MC. It isnt a big deal i guess but it is enough for me have wanted to seek out a solution. Ive been in a few hack discords and got enough knowledge to learn how to use Febuilder to change the portrait and unit pallete to fit a character i pulled off the github repo. i played a game recently with him as “me” and it was a blast and now im starting up a new game i wanted to create one that looked more like me (i am a west Indian from Trinidad so even though i found a middle eastern portrait it didn’t quite “fit”)

so i spent my sunday learning how to use pixlr to change skin tones, then how to splice 2 portraits, then i manage to group enough colors to fit the 16 limit (without it looking too bad) and finally i went by line by line and tried my best to make it fit the look i was going for (i am a plumber by trade not an artist lol).

finally i got it looking how i wanted and i started working on the little face on the right and the blinking/talking animations but im totally lost. im hoping someone here can point me in the right direction on how to do it. i saw youtube tutorial copied the mouth off someone but i cant do that because of the skin tone/beard stuff
This is the result of my first day playing around with art programs:
Roleplay Character
and just so credit is given where credit is due (because none of this wouldve been possible without the bases from the github)
Here is the portrait i got the face/hair from: Garytop F2E OC Sumer
{Garytop} F2E OC Sumer
and here is the portrait i got the body from: Wasspix2, Shark3141
(Wasspix2, Shark3141) F2E Cowan

12 Likes

I’m glad we have more people like you and a couple others I can’t name right now cause I’ve forgotten their names who champion for more darker skinned and POC characters in FE and other mediums of media. It’s a huge rarity to ever find someone like me or you in games like these but I’m glad that’s changing now. It looks beautiful keep up the good work.

2 Likes

hey thanks for the reply. i spent a few hours doing the mini portrait and the blinking/talking frame but i havent tested it yet. here it is.

AnimationsDon

the one thing im still confused about what the 6/7 order of talking “means”.
like if i were to number the “frames”

1 and 5 look like mouth open
2 is starting to close
6 is pretty much close with a little open
3,4, and 7 are all just default closed

do you know what the 1-7 frames mean or where i can find the answer? i think im phrasing the question wrong cause i cant find any info on it and the yt tutorials i see all have them copying from an image already.

2 Likes

Yoooo! The forth one is used for a “smiling frame” it can be used during dialogue and automatically shows up in status screen of a unit. 3 and 7 from what I remember don’t do anything, you can leave them empty or keep them with default frames, the sprite will look the same either way and won’t cause any visual problems.

2 Likes

Uh, 4 is never used when talking, just on the statscreen

i think i did okayish on the mouth considering i used up my pallet colors. i couldnt really find out how to make a smile in pixel art so i just went with a meme-y look since its rare. i also filled out the beard to look how id like

AnimationsDon (1)

1 Like

oh i went with a funny smile instead of an accurate one because i couldnt make a good one. if its just a status screen thing i might switch

AnimationsDon (1)

1 Like

Whoops, yes you’re right. Frame 3 can be used in dialogue for a different expression, but at least in vanilla the “smiling frame” is copied from frame 4 to frame 3. Here is colm as an example.

(Colm smiling during dialogue)
SacredTrilogy_01

(Colm’s hackbox)

1 Like

wow you picked a great expressive character way better than the examples i looked at

by that image

1-3 are “happy” stages of talking with 1 being the most open 2 semi and 3 closed/smile
4 is status screen
5-7 are normal stages of talking with 1 being most open, 2 semi, and 3 default face.

can anyone confirm or deny these “interpretations”? i spent sometime making my own mouth animations as well as tinkering with the beard but since i used my old numbering system im not sure if i did it right

FinalDon (2)

1 Like

This is, strictly speaking, not always the case, see vanilla Legault:
Legualt(1)

This is correct.

1 Like