Apparoid's Mountainous Lair of Stuff (Mainly Maps)

Another map for my upcoming project.

17 Likes

This map looks big, it reminds me of the Thracia 776 Chapter 15 which gives you a choice of a Route Split in choosing A or B. I am wondering what kind of project will it be?

1 Like

Ironically enough (and keep in mind since it’s for a tactile project, there is usually a 1-3 tile inaccessible border around the screen) this is technically the smallest outdoor map so far.

1 Like

And not a day later here is the next map.

16 Likes

The first in a small line of desert maps I’m making, also probably got some tileset edits to make.

And for the sake of fun

Alexandria Before & After

16 Likes

This might be one of my favourite maps I’ve ever seen, it is absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like

Another map for my upcoming project, this time a continuous map and based somewhere fairly obvious. Also includes various brand new tiles.

Continous One

Extra Long Gif

Desert Before & After

12 Likes

the layout is nice, but some of these desert/grass tiles seems a bit too bright?
it could be just my impression though, probably because i prefer the darker tiles you used before in the other maps.

on a sidenote: to my knowledge, people that usually do maps tend to stick to the same kind of assets with tile variations that range from either different saturation, or different details in buildings appearence.
however, i have yet to see someone trying to use completely different tiles, like sky ones for example.

reference taken from Der Langrisser, old SNES game

image-5

there’s so many maps that could be done in a more “platformer” style and still work if done properly, but most people tend to follow the “bird view” because that’s simply what they’re used to, rarely deviating from it.

i think i’ll do some research on sky tiles.
maybe i might come up with something interesting, who knows.

1 Like

Regarding the tiles, different biome, different base pallete (i say base, because seasons & times of day is a factor here)

For me personally (and this is also why I’m not deviating from this scale too much for reasons of well… scale) since that I’m doing something rather grandiose and grounded in reality for this project (in some ways litteral), and I have literally so many chapters I could make to the point where I have the opposite problem of filler and so it leads to an extra degree of condensing, which then means that doing some smaller scale or even castle maps is a waste of time XD.

I also usually have the mindset that having sky tiles in most scenarios would just be the ground like FE10 2-P (love that map btw) so unless you’re making some really specific, idk its never something I consider. I think a large reason (especially for me) when it comes to keeping to this kind of camera angle has to do with spriting consistency, which i can tell is significantly lossed with that langrisser example.

Yet another for mystery project. This one overlaps with another from much earlier. Although it should be noted they happen at vastly different points in time.

Continuous

Gif

Marengo Before & After

10 Likes

Cool maps. I’m Mappedoneus- sorry, Mellemapeus-

-cool maps.

1 Like

Suburbs be like

1 Like

So, I don’t have anything brand new finished, so ill post a few maps I did makeovers for other peoples hacks in no particular order.

DAT

Beno

Dia

Lukeili

Vyland

6 Likes

Alrighty! This one took a while to finish due to… distractions… Anyhow its probably the only true mountainous map in the game I’m planning. Also big thanks to Koni for figuring out the layout of this one for me! Go give his thread a bit of love if you haven’t already.

And the extra massive gif

Alpine Mountains Before & After

13 Likes

I still have no idea how anyone manages to make mountains look good. I assume magic.

5 Likes

He ain’t the Mountain Man for nothing

4 Likes

So this one is technically the first map in an Arc of three others. (the other two I’ve already done but in a flipped order)

Anyway its a bit of a relaxed chapter in context. Also thanks to Skitty/Dancer_A/Blofeld for helping a little bit with it.

Bit of a shorter gif this time.

Switzerland Before & After

8 Likes

This one I had some extra plans for that I haven’t yet fulfilled, so this one may get an expansion (or perhaps not idk) but until then this is the finished map.

How many of you actually click these?

Cairo Before & After

22 Likes

For what it’s worth, I always appreciate the progress gif and find them helpful. This one was very inspiring I must say!

1 Like

the overall disposition of palm trees was done really well, same goes for the sand placement.
considering that in some places like deserts the sand gets carried away by the winds and scattered in nearby areas, this one really looks like a natural seaside area.
the only thing that pops up is that bridge on the top right, because it feels a bit out of place, or rather it looks too flat without a shadow below it, like it’s been put directly at water level.
a sand path could be an alternative, but that’s just me i guess.
in any case, great job as usual~ :+1:

1 Like