Amusing ROMhacking Glitches Thread

I can see a lot of faces in there that I wish I hadn’t had to see… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

fiery spell anims
Well, looks like Barhara’s going wonderfully.

Pelting things with meteors (read: Elfire) and the fire effect don’t end well.

11 Likes

Here’s an idea.
How glitchy can you make a Romhack, and still have it be beatable?

4 Likes

Define “beatable”.

My guess would be either a really big, ambitious project with a lot of weird and badly tested ASM, or an unpolished mess that doesn’t bother with fixing basic issues.

Maybe if we could get both at once…?

2 Likes

I think this has been done countless times already… not necessarily intentionally.

3 Likes

Corrupt the graphics to the point where nothing is recognizable, mess with the formulas for stat and attack calculation so that the math is completely fucked, and then add a bunch of animations and ASM that are known to be buggy/have adverse effects. Then just make the rest of the hack like normal and don’t playtest it. Assuming you haven’t bricked the ROM by then, it should still be “beatable”.

4 Likes

What the other guys said.

I accidentally broke the movement arrows, which somehow added more shoving functionality.

Summary

5UeYLN84wb

Seth has been working out. Let’s see how far he can shotput Bulbasaur-Eirika.

Diagonally

LPksrjyQgs

Pretty far, it turns out!

Sideways

WBMXvOoiFB

10 Likes

This isn’t exactly Fire Emblem per se, but my struggles with trying to contain the almighty power of Flaaffy being inserted in gen 1 lead to an… amusing reaction from the dex. (Would recommend headphone users to turn down their volume a tad.)

7 Likes

Always remember, it is not a bug but rather a feature of high intelligence.

7 Likes

Ah, generation 1…You may be an utter mess held together by duct tape and popsicle sticks, but you’re our utter mess held together by duct tape and popsicle sticks.

4 Likes

I don’t get why people say psychic-type was broken in gen 1.
I mean, it had so many bugs to counter it…

8 Likes
  • They specialize on Special which was 2 stats in 1 just like Magic in Thracia. Amnesia was a move since Gen 1, and back then it was Calm Mind on steroids.
  • They were immune to Ghost rather than weak to it and Dark wasn’t a thing yet, so Bug was their only weakness.
  • Bug types were weak and their moves sucked. The strongest Bug attack were Twin Needle (25x2) and Pin Missile (14x2~5), which only Beedrill (weak to Psychic) got with STAB. Jolteon had Twin Needle as well.
  • If you’re still not sure, check out competitive Gen 1. Psychic types defined a lot of it, for example Fighting types were so unviable that Rock and Normal types like Rhydon, Golem and Tauros had a big prescence in OU.
1 Like

he was making a bad pun about how gen 1 was buggy af

7 Likes

this
D:

REDFE-61 REDFE-68 \

Had some fun bugs with title screens today. 2nd one looks like a title screen for a horror FE game or something, lol

17 Likes

uh oh!

LastHeavenlyThrone-14

12 Likes

Another dose of loading outdated savestate, music edition.

8 Likes

damn bro when the album dropping?

7 Likes

That should be the theme music for a robotic version of whichever character uses the normal theme music.

3 Likes