AI GBA Portrait Discussion

By this logic, I should just delete the entire OC’s section. Because, you know, people will only need ‘specific’ characters soon.

Also, if you’d used an AI tool before, you’d know they have relatively high system requirements. Anyone with a crappy bargain-bin PC will be excluded from running them. Therefore, not just anyone can generate the things they want. It cuts out anyone who is poor or underprivileged. Hence why storing curated images in the repo is still a good idea.

The rest of the post is a generic appeal to emotion, so I’m not going to bother.

1 Like

I must say that I don’t think something like an AI that comes from 4chan of all places is something that should be allowed on this site.

4chan users notoriously don’t really credit any artists at all, so I get the impression some of the sources of work used to make that AI for FE portraits (which is a pretty damn niche thing! something that would require SPECIFIC training… not like something like a cat at all) probably are taken directly from non f2u or f2e sources from this very same website to use in the database to create this “artwork.” Thus, I feel it’s awkward to permit usage.

I personally do not think I would mind an AI where the work is definitively trained by not using non f2u-f2e content and made by a more reputable person than an anonymous user on 4chan.

15 Likes

Isn’t the argument for AI art that it gives access to custom art to people who can’t afford commissions…?

I might get warned or suspended for this, but lmao. lol. what are you, a redditor? go back to r/atheism or something. lmao. Reason cannot exist without being informed by emotion and vice versa, sorry you forgot to take the intro course on how to be a living thing.

4 Likes

Honestly, this discussion is dumb. AI is here to stay and nothing that a sector do will stop it. People either learn to use it as a tool, or they see others do it. Evolve or die. The best thing to do to keep all parties happy for the time being is to allow the AI ​​to learn from F2U/F2E resources and keep learning. I hope that soon we will be able to see generated battle animations or come close to creating animation, which is a headache and very time consuming to make.

3 Likes

I mean, if that’s the made-up argument in your head, maybe. I don’t recall saying that anywhere in this thread. In fact I didn’t mention money once, except to point out in that very post that a rig capable of running decent AI costs money.

And waitaminute, if people can’t afford commissions anyway, then how would them using AI affect you? Are you trying to circular reason with me?

Go read your holy book in your private house dude, nobody cares about your biblical reasoning or whatever other outdated piece of literature while you’re at it. Imagine bringing religion into this discussion.

Since there are no more arguments left that haven’t been repeated or debunked, peace. I’ve got work to do.

1 Like

Stop.

11 Likes

Whats wrong with Ai art with portraits?

2 Likes

Aside from ethics issues arising from feeding it pictures for references against artists’ wish (And no it’s not like a real human using reference pictures thanks to the very easy to understand difference that one is human and the other is not. In a human’s eyes reference pictures are not just data), it’s also just very bleak and depressing, as it discourages many artists to try to do their own stuff. Some people are openly sad and resigned about it, and some others are blindly happy about “not having to bother learning how to draw anymore”, which I think is just sad. It’s a creativity killer, a toy made for kids who don’t want to bother with improving their art and would rather let a robot do it for them, while simultaneously calling it their work. Some people may call all I just said “generic appeal to emotion” but I think emotion and art are indissociable concepts that belong with one another, and trying to exclude one is wrong.

If you want to start making portraits for your hack, I think it’s best to actually pick up a mouse, MS Paint, and start spriting. Sure, maybe you have “low artistic abilities” as some people previously said in this very thread, but there’s only one way your artistic abilities can go. Using AI art, your artistic abilities just don’t go anywhere.

11 Likes

I agree with the idea of AI generated for spriting art since sprite art in general, at least for FE related works, are mostly cut from the original sprite works of the GBA FE games. I believe that while trying to make from scratch portraits and sprites is a great endeavor, ultimately, in my opinion at least, is that many of those that are too “original” are just …errr… too strange and uncanny when looked at.

I want to say that making a sprite portrait and actually drawing something, there is a sort of fundamental difference in that when drawing at least there is a larger artistic leeway for style, while for sprite portraits it’s much more limited since if you are going to make Fe portraits, it should stay as close to the actual FE style as possible. Not saying that there is anything wrong with trying to be different, but…I honestly do dislike when people make FE portraits that are just waaaay too different yet still claim it as so especially if it’s serious work (although, that’s pretty rare since I’m sure most people who make portraits are doing it for fun).

For fun and jokewise, it’s good for laugh but every time I see pixels that are all over the place, the faces that are just so offkey due to hard hand spriting or just edges that are way too sharp and portraits that look like it should be from another game, I can’t help but raise an eyebrow. I guess this does sound a bit close-minded and I don’t want to put anyone down since I’m sure people put lots of effort into their work but yeah. It’s one of the reasons why I’m not exactly a big fan of portrait making.

However I’m not saying it should just be copy and paste or just recoloring is better either, but in general if I’d have a choice I’d honestly would prefer those kind of FE portraits than the other, especially if the person is just starting out.

I think keeping as close as possible to the actual FE portraits tend to look much, much, much better than whenever you try to create something super original. So with how neat and clean the AI portraits (usually) tend to be, I really think it’s a great program to at least dabble with and a good potential for GBA FE sprite work. I understand the bad rep it gets for digital art and such, but I wish that more people would be opened to the idea of spriting with the AI program, or at the very least, not be so against it.

At least, that’s what I think. I hope I don’t come off too much as No-Fun allow.

1 Like

I think at this point, none of this has to do with the repository, so I’m moving this entire discussion elsewhere.

And moved. Anything else posted in the other topic will be moved here.

6 Likes

You do have a good point and I agree with your stance that people might not want to bother with drawing because of what ai art provides but thats if they’re not driven to do so be their own accord.

One could just pick up a mouse and start making thier own thing or just use Ai art, it should be the own individuals choice decides whether they use it or not or if they decide to quit. But your reasonings are understandable.

1 Like

if nothing else, it’s probably worth explicitly marking AI-generated repo stuff so that future users don’t accidentally start training their models on AI-generated stuff

4 Likes

Train the ai on the ai

/j

3 Likes

Always gonna be iffy on AI Art because it’s like inadvertently stealing from the artists it’s trying to emulate.

Sure, it’s a fun little tool to play with as a filter for your pictures and all, but it’s unethical to be using a tool that’s basically copying artists without their permission.

Can’t stop it (short from committing a few major crimes), but I think we as a community need to step back and realize the ramifications of using a program like this can ultimately devalue our rules and values on hard work and honesty.

12 Likes

Klok is a Marisa simp confirmed, since he wants to see more Marisa splices.

Can’t stop it (short from committing a few major crimes)

Do you want to take down the entire Internet? That’s the only way you’re going to stop AI from becoming more prevalent in all areas, I mean I’m sure Uncle Ted is looking for a successor, good luck.

how come whenever there’s some post about AI generated images, there’s always tits involved? :sweat_smile:

anyway, since everyone has different opinions on the matter, i guess it’s worth reminding that not long ago there’s been a campaign against “AI art” that involved art platforms such as DeviantArt and the likes.
needless to say, it was not just a matter of “lack of creativity and/or emotions”, but rather a matter of copyrights, wich was pretty much the main reason that got people pissed off about it.

now, considering that here we are on a FE platform dedicated to fan games, and keeping in mind all the kind of resources provided in the repo, i guess it would probably be better( and safer, but that goes with anyone’s conscience in the end ) to add some rules in terms of what could be used for AI art, and what not.

given that the vanilla sprites have been used for splices to death and beyond( same goes for anything else involving .PNG files that got ripped from the 3 original GBA FE games ), it might be better to just leave those open for use, and eventually include all the repo material dubbed F2E, IF the artists who made those sprites agree with it.

as for myself, i’m not with or against AI art because i know for sure that it’s not going to replace human’s creativity and imagination anytime soon, or ever for that matter.
i consider it more of a tool to speed up workloads for generating “basic” material depending on how it is used( surely by NOT stealing art from others not willing to share their works ), but that’s all about it really.

1 Like

It seems whatever the corpus was used to train the model, the contents were extremely horny.

I’d argue that F2E means you allow all transformative work so training an AI model falls under it, but in general we need some kind of official rule that will make both sides at least content.

Why people can’t settle into something? Why there must be always argument over something?
AI Art is cool at some degree.
If people think it is bad to use it. The only thing that can be done is crediting the source images the script used and also saying was made by an AI.
We are on the internet, it is really troublesome to grasp something and defend it. You can create something and in the next day someone will copy and paste it.
Like. It is so hard to we all agree that this has good and bad things?

You say it as if it was easy. The models are trained on massive banks, so applying all the credits would take pages upon pages. And most models don’t even list them anyway. That’s the issue people tend to have with it apart from some philosophical stuff.

2 Likes

Damn. God have mercy on our souls then.

University in a nutshell.