About the class upgrade for the Mercenary

I was thinking about it, and personally feel that “Hero” shouldn’t be the class upgrade for the Mercenary. I thought that “Captain” could be a good change, or “Commander” or something along those lines. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Lots of different class names can work, but what you choose should have a purpose. I think oftentimes arbitrary class name changes to what is essentially a vanilla class are met with confusion, even if in a vacuum it is more fitting of the class.

3 Likes

“Brave” might make sense as a more literal take on 勇者 (which is both the class name and the word “brave” in brave weapons in the Japanese version).

I’d echo Pandan on not changing the name unless you’ve made changes to the class, though. If you do change the way it works but it otherwise has the same sprites, a name change can be useful to shake the player out of whatever automatic strategy they’d use to take a Hero down. In the same vein, not every General is a general and not every Paladin is a holy knight.

2 Likes

I was actually thinking about this a few days back–how there’s no real military name or equivalent for what the Hero is. A gladiator is what they fight like in the GBA games, but that’s not what the Hero units ever actually are, except Holyn. The obvious title would be “Swordfighter”, but that’s way too mundane for a promoted class.

Something that comes to mind are the gaelic Gallowglass. They were well-armored warriors that fought with swords and battleaxes, just like Heroes. Though the name, if you’re going to be particularly detail-oriented, might not be entirely appropriate for some characters, because “gall óglaigh” means “Foreign Warrior(s)”. Other examples would be the Roman Principes, who used swords and spears, or just simply “Captain” as a shorthand for mercenary captain.

2 Likes

So I plan on rebalancing a lot of the classes, so that might be the ideal setting.

Champion

2 Likes

That implies more horse, though. Could be a good replacement for Paladin.

myrmidon

1 Like

Vanguard like fe10 :joy:

2 Likes

For myself I just changed the Hero class to Veteran.

2 Likes

I use Vanguard, since the meaning of the word fits the hero class’s inherent nature to do well sticking to front lines thanks to actual defensive stats (for an infantry).

Just like Ike, haha.
Plus, I use “Swordsman/Swordsgirl” over Mercenary since mercenaries are… y’know… paid to fight, which isn’t always the case, even if typical for characters of the class line to have that background.

1 Like

My main takeaway from this is that I like the name “Braveheart” for heroes now.

I’m not sure how Champion would imply a mounted unit unless we’re talking about a jousting champion. I’m talking more like a gladiator champion. It’d work a little better since a gladiator is probably a lot more acquainted with life and death situations.

1 Like

All I can think of is Gladiator for now.
As FlamingZelda said Veteran sounds good too.

1 Like

Veteran.

3 Likes