A proposition for simplifying roles on the FEU Discord

Long(?) ago, the FEU Discord server underwent a Rolevolution that changed up how users were displayed. It was… questionably followed and there have been inconsistencies with adherence since the beginning.

I want to propose a new system that is easy to follow and has none of the charm:

Role categories and colors are abolished for non-staff. Staff and special utility roles like Bots are blandified–reduced to simple, utilitarian names like Administrator, Global Moderator, Section Moderator, etc.

Role pingability is replaced with a set of bland, descriptive, opt-in pingable roles:

• helps_with_writing
  • helps_with_eventing (possibly split into or coexists with:)
    • helps_with_febuilder_events
    • helps_with_EA_events
  • helps_with_assembly
  • helps_with_game_design
  • helps_with_art (possibly split into or coexists with:)
    • helps_with_portraits
    • helps_with_animations
    • helps_with_map_graphics
  • helps_with_music
  • helps_with_buildfiles
  • helps_with_febuilder

The names and specializations here are suggestions. I’ve probably forgotten some useful roles here.

Users can get as many of these as they want. Users can request to have them removed at any time, too, but getting snippy about it is an instant warning.

Channel descriptions are updated with a reminder to ping the relevant helps_with_ role, with a reminder that abusing pings will result in an instant warning. A reminder to check if people were recently pinged might be helpful, I don’t know.

An optional expansion, because I know people like this:

Generically-named color roles. Just use the existing role colors but remove the names in favor of generic ones.

This system should be easier to maintain. I didn’t think the original rolevolution was hard to understand from both a user and an implementer perspective, although I definitely have made mistakes as a moderator when assigning roles.

There’s nothing really pressing about this–the issue of people not understanding the role system is very minor. I think removing the little cultural bits from the role system might help clarify things. If you see @helps_with_design pinged often, you get an immediate understanding of who the role is for and what it does, as opposed to something like @Wizards.

8 Likes

I agree that mentioning pings in the channel description might be helpful if users ever bother reading it

Imo the roles are nice as they are. I think it gives them personality.

1 Like

While I don’t like this proposition for reasons you may expect, I do think that Wizard (and by extension Apprentice) could be renamed to something more descriptive to match the other roles, and the “quirky roles” would be reserved for staff.

1 Like

I like the idea of divorcing role color from area of expertise, but I also see there being backlash to changes that remove some of the legacy language/culture (ie this used to be the color for spritans! etc)

Regardless of whether this is adopted as is or not, putting the pingable roles in the channel description would be nice.

May also want to add “helps_with_playtesting” to go alongside the game design one.

3 Likes

The fact it’s that a lot of people want a specific color for their name don’t related with the roles they have. A bot can resolves this.

Pingable roles are very useful but recently almost no one ping for help using those roles. Also why they can be showed apart of the rest of members ? That only let know the rest of the people who are the pingable people. I think they just go into the channel and ping the role they want the help without knowing who of the people with that role are online or not.

Pingable roles are good but i think alpha roles should have no relation with either color or any distinction. It’s more easy to let the people know in what you are working as romhacker instead of typing it in your bio.

This is only my opinion. Camdar seems to not approve it so this is the last time I’m gonna talk about this and just wanted to shared here since it can be reading by others.

Thanks for reading. Lukirioh