A new language translation tool, DeepL

This topic is especially useful for our Japanese hacker friends, like @7743 and @RedBean, others in that vein.

I have been using Google Translate for months to communicate with my Spanish-speaking artist in Venezuela. It’s been difficult, because Google Translate is much better than it was a few years ago, but it still desperately sucks.

However, today I learned about this website:

This tool is genuinely amazing. If you download it, pressing Ctrl+C twice will instantly translate the highlighted text for you. This works in Discord and any other program, including web browsers. It’s not perfect in terms of convenience, as I still prefer to use Google Translate’s built-in translation function for most websites, but it’s quite good otherwise.

At the bottom of those post will be a translation for Japanese. The first translation will be via Google Translate, while the other will be via DeepL. I hope the Japanese modders here will tell me which version they think is superior.

Google Translate!

このトピックは、@ 7743や@RedBeanなど、日本のハッカーの友人にとって特に役立ちます。

私は何ヶ月もGoogle翻訳を使用して、ベネズエラでスペイン語を話すアーティストとコミュニケーションを取っています。 Google翻訳は数年前に比べてはるかに優れているので難しいですが、それでも必死になってしまいます。

しかし、今日私はこのウェブサイトについて学びました:

このツールは本当に素晴らしいです。ダウンロードした場合、Ctrl + Cを2回押すと、ハイライト表示されたテキストがすぐに翻訳されます。これは、DiscordおよびWebブラウザーを含むその他のプログラムで機能します。ほとんどのウェブサイトでGoogle翻訳の組み込みの翻訳機能を使用することを好むため、これは利便性の面で完全ではありませんが、それ以外の場合は非常に優れています。

それらの投稿の下部には、日本語の翻訳があります。最初の翻訳はGoogle翻訳によるもので、もう1つはDeepLによるものです。ここの日本の改造師が彼らが優れていると思うバージョンを教えてくれることを願っています。

DeepL!

このトピックは、@7743さんや@RedBeanさんのような日本のハッカー仲間、特にその道の他の人たちにも参考になると思います。

私はベネズエラにいるスペイン語圏のアーティストとコミュニケーションをとるために、数ヶ月前からGoogle翻訳を使っています。Google翻訳は数年前に比べて格段に良くなっているので大変だったのですが、それでも必死にクソみたいなものです。

しかし、今日、私はこのウェブサイトを知った。

このツールは本当に素晴らしいです。ダウンロードした場合、Ctrl+Cを2回押すと、ハイライトされたテキストが即座に翻訳されます。これはDiscordやWebブラウザを含む他のプログラムでも動作します。私はまだほとんどのウェブサイトのためのGoogle翻訳の組み込みの翻訳機能を使用することを好むように、それは利便性の面で完璧ではありませんが、それ以外の場合はかなり良いです。

それらのポストの下部には、日本語への翻訳があります。最初の翻訳はGoogle翻訳経由で、他の翻訳は。どちらが優れていると思うかは、ここにいる日本人モデラーが教えてくれることを期待しています。

15 Likes

/cheekily uses it to re-translates the jp text back into english

Re-translating google: “Google Translate is much better than it was a few years ago, but I’m still desperate to I’m sorry.”

:thinking:

Retranslating itself: “It was hard because I was there, but I still desperately needed to get shit done.”

Hell, same.

Well, i haven’t tried it enough to know which one’s better, but it’s good to have options and using both and looking at which makes more sense if there are any questions is probably better than just having one. Will check it out more in the future!

1 Like

Who doesn’t desperately need to get shit done? That’s real talk right there :joy:

Funny you post about this translator today… maybe some kind of signal?

I’ve been using it for a few months now, if it weren’t for the name I think more people would know about it but it’s an excellent tool, by far the best translator out there.

By clicking on each word you can even rephrase among a list of options it gives you, which makes the sentence change form and fit something closer to what you want to try to say.

it has few languages, but it works with quality artificial intelligence, google translator is good for simple things, but for complete paragraphs of text, no doubt this is better, even imitates the slang that can be used in that language (although depending on the language not perfect)

1 Like

I used DeepL for the Japanese translation of My GBA Library. It was actually 7743 who recommended it. It’s very accurate, according to him, much better than google translate.

1 Like

Wow, nice find.

deepl is, well, better than google translate.
However, it does spit out some odd sentences sometimes.
General sentences are usually accurate.

It’s the conversational sentences that are the problem.
Be careful translating sentences that contain metaphors and proverbs.

Most of the time, it will be translated directly into a sentence that doesn’t make sense.

Example.
味方の旗色が悪い。

Correct answer.
The fortune of war is against.

google
The flag colors of allies are bad.

deepl
It’s a bad flag for a friend.

In wars long ago, people fought with flags to identify ally and enemy.
With a large army, you could see the filled the fields with colorful flags.
However, as they lost the war and their soldiers died, the number of soldiers carrying the flag would decrease.
Therefore, the flags are no longer brightly colored.
So, “旗色が悪い” became a term for a disadvantageous situation.

6 Likes

I found out shortly after I tagged you that you had posted about DeepL only 20-something hours ago. I felt like a dingus haha :joy:

I personally will only use DeepL for literal translations, descriptions, and stuff like that. Still, it is good to know that it sucks at translating metaphors!

I don’t think this is deepl, though.
but There was a game where the 肝試し(test of courage) was translated as a 肝臓検査(liver test).

Perhaps it was a direct translation.
肝 -> liver
試し -> test

This would mean that they would try their “courage”, but “liver test” in they would go to a medical examination.

For these proverbs and metaphors, I think the only way to find out is to make a dictionary.
It’s just a matter of how much effort the translation company can put into creating a dictionary.

1 Like

I mean, it vaguely still makes sence because one could say that it is a test if one would be ready to risk ones liver. xD

I’ve yet to find a translator that could be close to 100% reliable. Might have to check this one out sometime.

Directly translating through automated language will probably never be perfect, as I’m not sure how well you can teach a robot to perfectly cross language barriers, localize text, recognize proper nouns, etc. A human element will probably always be necessary.

But, then again, the entire point of tools like these tends to either be “because we can” or “we want to see how far we can take this”, so who knows, but that will probably be years or decades away, and I seriously doubt that AI could ever localize properly.

Still, broken english/spanish/japanese/french/swahili is better than nothing at all, and it should be helpful for creating editable templates, so instead of directly translating everything it could just be editing.

Or, “because paying translators requires both time and money, whereas an instantly completed and 80% accurate/understandable translation will suit most people’s needs, especially for daily conversation.”

1 Like

That’s the thing, learning a new language takes time (you could learn for example if you dedicate yourself enough, English or Spanish in months, at least the basics and intermediate) and not everybody wants or can do it for the most part, although we have all the material on the internet for free.

So, yes… on one hand I am very grateful for all these tools, now everything is more accessible and the language barrier is getting shorter and shorter. The Google translator was the first step, I think there was a tool you could buy that used voice to translate into another language, although I don’t remember the name, but it’s been on sale for some time now.

Greetings!

It’s pretty cool but on its own I feel like it misses key ideas on some sentences. I like to combine it with SYSTRANS and formulate stuff from there.

Sadly, whether it’s understandable or not isn’t quite so clear. Here’s your post ran through a loop a few times:

Or: "Paying for an interpreter costs time and money, while paying for an interpreter costs time and money, while doing so quickly and 80% right. because translating with strength and clarity meets the needs of most people, especially in everyday conversations. Reason.

Yeah…? If you run anything through any text generator multiple times, it’s going to come out looking like crap. Try it with google and you’ll get the same thing.

Is this supposed to be a surprise? O_o

Well, now imagine going back and forth between your artist. Concepts are very likely to fall apart and become malformed.

It’s a useful tool, but it’s not practical for most serious work.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Why would I translate the same sentence multiple times? I write a request, send it to him (usually on an image as text with references), and then he might shoot a couple questions back at me. If 95% of my meaning is conveyed, the translator did its job.

He’s not going to copy and paste the sentence I wrote and send it back to me. If he did, I’d probably recognize it as being what I initially wrote anyway.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

1 Like